AVermediaTV capture HD, HDMI in to virgin media V+ setup?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by optical10, Jul 29, 2012.

1. optical10

optical10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm beginning to wonder if I bought the wrong capture card as I cannot get AVer media 3D setup using the above hardware. all I get when I run the wizard setup to scan the available channels from my virgin media V+ (plus) is zero channels found with a black screen and no audio.
    Troubleshooting here: http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/Upload/ ... MI_FAQ.pdf suggests,

" Please follow the instructions below to troubleshoot your issue:
    1. Please check if you graphic card and Monitor do support HDCP, and if they are
    supporting in specific condition
    Example1: Some monitor support HDCP in several resolutions only
    - You may contact the monitor manufacturer for information and set your resolution to
    which it supports.
    Example2: Some monitor support HDCP in single link for DVI interface.
    - Which you may solve this by using a single link DVI cable for connection from your
    graphic card to monitor.
    2. If you are using memory more than 4G, please try to reduce your memory below 4G,
    and check if problem can be solve by the action taken. If so please feedback back us
    by using our technical form mentioned below.
    If above does not help please provide us your dxdiag info:
    How to get Dxdiag? Please refer to below link
    http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/Upload/ ... 20Info.pdf
    Then feedback to us by using technical support form on web with the dxdiag attach:
    AVerMedia AVerTV Global - TV Tuners, Media Player, IPTV and Multimedia Products - Support - ... pport.aspx
    Thank You "

With regard to the suggestions above my graphics card and monitor does support HDCP as you can see from my signature below.
    My monitor only works in dual-Link DVI cable mode to support HDCP, so I'm not sure how I could get round this issue if that's the problem?
    And lastly I have drop down from 16 GB down to 4 GB RAM for testing purposes without success but if this was the solution I'm not sure I would want this hardware capture card anyway.

Before trying the above suggestions with no success I tried the CD that shipped with the hardware and as far as I can see it does include the latest software and drivers.

I'm thinking the issue is something to do with the AVer media 3D application software as it doesn't give me the option of going beyond the manual selection of PAL in the digital setup in the HD input source section which I'm sure is wrong according to Wikipedia for the UK after PAL is now defunct?,

"United Kingdom (UHF only, PAL broadcast to be abandoned during 2012, already abandoned in most regions. Simulcast in DVB-T. DVB-T introduction started in 1998, DVB-T2 added from 2009.)"

So I am truly stumped & before I send my direct X diagnostics file I thought I would come here for any suggestions to see if anybody else has gone through this setup or has any suggestions before contacting AVer media technical on Monday?

PS. I've attached my DirectX diagnostic file if that helps?

many thanks in advance

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40Hz
    MSI Big Bang Marshal mobo
    16 GB DDR3-1333
    GeForce GTX 580 SLI GPU
    Wind 7 64-bit Ult
    Corsair 1250 Watts PSU
    Asus 27” VG278H 3D Monitor

AVerTV Hybrid CaptureHD Card
    Driver #: 1.12.64.49
    App #: 1.0.4
    AVerMedia Capture 3D #:1.7.9

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Can you post your setup? i.e. What's connected to what with which cables.

From the mixed technologies mentioned in your post I suspect you may be assuming the card will do more than it does.

Looking at the page for the card it seems to have two functions.

1. DVB-T and Analogue terrestrial tuners that it can play and record from. In the UK this means SD Freeview only, Freeview HD uses the newer DVB-T2 standard.

2. Capture card functionality that lets it record any video sent into one of it's video input ports (HDMI/Composite/S-Video/Component).

The only way it'll interface with a Virgin box is recording the current channel it's outputting (over HDMI), if you want to get cable TV on your computer then you don't need a capture card at all but rather a DVB-C (Cable) Tuner Card. I don't know the details of Virgin's broadcasting though, so I don't know which channels would be encypted and restricted to the box and which will be available on the PC.

3. optical10

optical10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi EndlessWave, I've got my V+ HDMI output to a HDMI splitter box to my HD tv/monitor or directly to the.Aver HDMI input .
    I also tried the Capture cards 10-in-1 prepriotory av cable conponet input from the V+ scart output thinking it my be a HDCP issue & to test that the HDMI input on the card wasn't faulty.

The splitter box bought new yesterday with the capture card works well as it shows the V+ HD output on the Gatway TV/Monitor & the Asus 3d monitor simultaneously .

I bought this card mainly to view Olypimics 3D but recording would be a bonus.
    The Aver website does mention 2d to 3d on the fly conversion that I also wanted on the other previous model, the AverMedia TV3D captureHD, which uses the same "quick install guide & Aver MediaCenter 3D" application software.

As you've mentioned I've bought the wrong card it I want 3D viewing as I think thst that comes on a V+ HD output 1080i but I'll check with Virgin tomorrow .
    Once I've check it's posdible to view or record on the V+ i'll try to hunt for your recommended DVB-C (Cable) Tuner Card, any brand suggestions?

Once again that's for your speedy reply in my hour of need, now I'm not wasting time chasing my tail testing this kit pointlessly.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
  5. optical10

optical10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're so right EndlessWaves, the 3D coverage is sparse in the UK at the moment, thanks for the links, but they do an excellent daily one hour 3-D catch up highlights program in BBC HD and after the Olympics I get to use it on pay-per-view 3D films if this capture card solution works through virgin media.

The lack of 3-D content at the moment is the main reason why I am not investing in a 3-D TV at the moment so I thought the capture card solution would be an excellent stopgap for live 3D TV as I'm currently enjoying Blu-ray 3-D films on my PC and 3-D monitor so that side is covered.

Many thanks and have a pleasant evening. I'll report back to the forum on how I do once I have talked to virgin media tomorrow. :)

6. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    VM's content is encrypted so you can't view it on a PC.

7. optical10

optical10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    okay Trollslayer, I've just begun my search for a VM compatible DVB-C (Cable) Tuner Card and which just coming to the conclusion it was a no-go when I got your helpful e-mail, so thanks.

Should I bother looking for a Sky +plus solution for viewing 3-D live TV through my PC monitor or do they have that encrypted to?

I've been thinking of going to Sky +plus for the Sky Go service which I been hearing good things about as well.

Thanks in advance :)

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    So does Virgin not have to offer free to air channels like Sky does?

Sky's subscription channels are encrypted but all of the Freesat HD channels will work (including BBC HD and all of the BBC Olympic Channels).

9. optical10

optical10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @EndlessWaves, you're right about freesat channels being the same on virgin as on sky but I can't find any hdmi 1.4 spec input compatible DVB-C / DVB-2 pci-e cards, just this Echostar hybrid HDX-410 box, (IP plus DVB-C/S2/T2 options and DVR Ready), that seems to be a tv service providers oem offering?
    I'll need 1.4 hdmi output for hd 3d,, so does anyone know of a uk available pci-e card solution as mostcare USA only?

Thanks

10. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Are you sure the tuner card needs to be HDMI 1.4 compatible? I don't know the details of the 3d requirements but I'd have thought anything to do with HDMI would only be required on the graphics card as that creates the HDMI signal, is there a particular format required to make the HDMI 1.4 3d signal?