1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avermedia A800 DVB-T USB2.0

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by lisag, Oct 12, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Anyone else using this card? I am having problems with getting it to resume properly from S3 standby. It basically reports no tv signal, until you change channels 2 or 3 times, then it works ok. No good for scheduled recordings from standby.

Wonder if it is my PC or this card that is the problem, Avermedia support is....... comical!

lisa

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparntly some motherboards have a jumper setting to maintain power to the USB sockets when in standby, it may be worth you checking yours.

Look for "USB device wake-up". The jumper needs to be on "+5VSB".

Dave

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi, I did read something about that, when I checked the manual for the mobo (Shuttle SN41G2V2) it says it is jumperless, then there was diagram showing jumpers... so didn't really understand that.

However, I can send the PC into and out of S3 standby by the MCE remote or keyboard, which are connected via a usb dongle, so... does that mean that the 'wake from usb' thing is set correctly?

lisa

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly sounds like it is all as it should be. Does the blue light stay on when the PC is in standby?

Dave

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    No, it doesn't - in fact all my usb devices seem to be completely off when on standby, then power up again when resuming from standby.... but not always completely as they should... does the blue light stay on yours during standby?

6. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Lisa,

I had exactly the same problem when I used the A800 as a second tuner on my Shuttle based HTPC. What was more annoying was that the A800 installed itself as the primary tuner so was used first by MCE which only moved over to the BlackGold card if the A800 was busy.

I found that it kinda worked if I ensured that the A800 was set to a channel other than that on which the next recording was scheduled. Then the A800 had to change channel after wake up in order to record and it then worked some of the time.

The shuttle box keeps power on the USB ports even during a full shutdown so that is not the answer. This can be checked using one of those USB powered lights.

In the end I removed the A800 and went back to just using the BlackGold card as it was a lot more reliable. I now have a plasma screen with a built in Freeview tuner so the lack of twin tuners in the HTPC is not such a pressing problem.

If you ever do get to the bottom of the problem with the A800 then please let me know as I still have mine and will plumb it back into the system if it can be made to work reliably.

Mark

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Interesting... sounds like it is an issue with the A800 then, at least I can stop fiddling around with everything else! It's a shame because the 6600GT on the AGP slot, means nothing fits in the PCI slot - so its a USB card or nothing.

I also have extra freeview boxes connected up in the lounge and bedroom so if MCE is recording, I can watch live tv through them, actually I still have a Pace Twin, and a tv card in my other PC, in theory I could record three channels and watch a fourth, but there is never that much good tv on freeview anyway :D

No S3 standby for me, suppose it will keep the lounge warm during the winter...

lisa