Avengers Infinity War 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I agree the picture was good but could be better for UHD as I did see stair stepping on some avenger graphic signs in the film, if it was true 4K that would be gone. HDR saved the day as that made the film pop and it was handled brilliantly on the highlights.

The sound was a mixed bag, to me Disney audio mixes lack bass weight and I do not mean on the sub channel, I mean in the overall mix its just as an airy feel, I like voices to have weight.

I did come across someone on another forum moaning about the audio and there is a petition to Disney to sort there mixes out, plus there was someone who worked for them said they use something called a multimedia mix now days, so the audio is good to go on mobile devices.

hi thx1138uk james. i had the problems to, but first it was on the avengers assemble uhd disc. left side as well. got a oppo 203 player link to my denon avrx4200w av amplifier, to my panasonic tx-p50st50 tv. monday 3rd september watch the infinity war uhd disc on my jvc hd350 projector, and again bright green line down the left side of screen. watch it again on tuesday 4th on my panasonic tv its ok no green line. ps. after watching it on monday on my projector, i turn my tv on and i had green lines still.

Has anybody else experienced a 1 pixel wide bright green line down the left hand-side of the screen when watching the UHD disc of Infinity War? (the standard blu-ray doesn’t have this problem, but it lacks the Atmos soundtrack).
James.
Yes, I have seen this on other discs too - can't recall which. Oppo are aware - you should email it in too - it came in the last FW.
I thought I had associated it with Dolby Vision titles - which doesn't apply here. My IW disc arrives today, so will check.....
I know there are a few bemoaning no DV - but 1080p (projector owners) are better off with it - no 60Hz forced conversion on top of HDR to SDR and 2020 to 709.

Well watched it in the cinema upon release and been waiting for the 4K impatiently.
Was lucky enough to pick up the 4K version on US itunes quite cheap.
Visually stunning and set new bar in the VFX department.
If you get the chance watch the 30 mins clip available in the release in how it was all put together, brilliant and interesting viewing...
Think I have watched it 6 times now which as P'd my son off who says *Dad, you're obsessed*
Sorry son, I can't help it.

*I hope they remember you*

Has anybody else experienced a 1 pixel wide bright green line down the left hand-side of the screen when watching the UHD disc of Infinity War? (the standard blu-ray doesn’t have this problem, but it lacks the Atmos soundtrack).

I’m using an Oppo 203, connected to a Panasonic 1080P Plasma TV. The video is down-sampled via the Oppo player. The Oppo has the latest production firmware from July.

I have 35 UHD Blu-ray discs and Infinity War is the only one to exhibit the green line.

Regards,

James.
Its an issue with the Oppo firmware on UHD discs hopefully fixed soon, doesn't always affect mine but I have seen it once, reset seemed to fix it.

Well watched it in the cinema upon release and been waiting for the 4K impatiently.
Was lucky enough to pick up the 4K version on US itunes quite cheap.
Visually stunning and set new bar in the VFX department.
If you get the chance watch the 30 mins clip available in the release in how it was all put together, brilliant and interesting viewing...
Think I have watched it 6 times now which as P'd my son off who says *Dad, you're obsessed*
Sorry son, I can't help it.

*I hope they remember you*

I Pick my copy up Tomorrow - just received Thor Ragnarok 4K Today, so looking forward to a back-to-back Binge Fest Friday or Saturday

hi thx1138uk james. i had the problems to, but first it was on the avengers assemble uhd disc. left side as well. got a oppo 203 player link to my denon avrx4200w av amplifier, to my panasonic tx-p50st50 tv. monday 3rd september watch the infinity war uhd disc on my jvc hd350 projector, and again bright green line down the left side of screen. watch it again on tuesday 4th on my panasonic tv its ok no green line. ps. after watching it on monday on my projector, i turn my tv on and i had green lines still.
Happened to me on my oppo, I went into the oppo pictures settings. I cannot recall what I did change exactly but the green line has not returned.

Not had the green line on my OPPO thank god.

As anyone noticed missing in action Dolby vision:thumbsdow. Looks like they went backwards with this film to Black Panther which was true 4K and Dolby Vision. Hopefully next film will have it sorted, not holding my breath though.

Yes I got the green line too, I switched everything off and back on and it disappeared.

All the digital effects are rendered in 2K, and since almost every shot is digitally altered in this film there would really be no point.

I'm very surprised to see this getting a nine after watching this disc last night. Yes it's a clean presentation, but the picture pales and I mean PALES in comparison to Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, Passengers or The Revenant (which have a 4K DI) – it's considerably less detailed, colourful and lacks the same contrast punch. Plus, they haven't even brought over the variable aspect ratio from the IMAX cut and that really is a sin!

Likewise, the audio is perfectly serviceable, but lacks any wow factor whatsoever – monitoring what's coming out of where on a 15-channel system, I can tell you that 90% of the mix is coming from the main fronts and centre speaker, with a real lack of body in the bass particularly – the bass track only caused my tactile shakers to come to life two or three times in the whole movie. And that's not normal. The Atmos mixes of Black Panther and GOTG2 provide a significantly more enveloping and satisfying audio experience.

So I'm quite surprised to see it get 9/10, even though the film is admittedly a riot. In the world of UHD BD, this disc is average at best. The review as a whole consistently compares the disc to its 1080p Blu-ray version, where it should, in my opinion, be compared to other notable UHD discs. It's okay to give this a lower score than the BD, even if it does look and sound slightly better.

It's a different format with a different set of expectations.

Are you sure you did not have the Philips CD-I version on the movie? :)

I’m using an Oppo 203, connected to a Panasonic 1080P Plasma TV. The video is down-sampled via the Oppo player. The Oppo has the latest production firmware from July.

I have 35 UHD Blu-ray discs and Infinity War is the only one to exhibit the green line.

Regards,

James.

Hey James, can i ask what a UHD blu-ray disc playback is like on a 1080p screen, obviously you wouldn't get the HDR benefits, but is general terms of resolution, is the image better than standard blu-ray?

Hey James, can i ask what a UHD blu-ray disc playback is like on a 1080p screen, obviously you wouldn't get the HDR benefits, but is general terms of resolution, is the image better than standard blu-ray?

Depends. If the 4K UHD is remastered (ex. Predator) then its going to be better than the Blu-ray.

In general, they should look more or less the same as the Blu-ray with lesser compression artifacts due to the higher bit rates.

There are UHDs out there which are barely an upgrade or even worse than the Blu-ray (e.g. 3:10 to Yuma, Expendables, Serenity, San Andreas, King Kong (contrast boosting) etc)

I've got some of these but I have to say that "King Kong" was way better than the Blu Ray, I thought that it was one of the best picture wise that I have seen, a friend of mine who lives in the flat below came up while it was on, he walked into the room saw it and was stunned by how good it looked and he'd seen the Blu Ray twice before.

Thought this was a tad better UHD offering from Disney on the PQ n sound front on MCU but considering the money put in and made from these films they all should be reference TBH and we should not be having to have these all to frequent discussions on the subject .

Its such a cracking film though I really did not foccuss to much on this side .

The Scot brawl was a deffo high point on the PQ front with good use of HDR and WCG for the most part .

Just watched my 4K disc tonight and the first time I had seen the film ..... just totally fooking incredible !!!
Picture quality was jaw dropping on my 65E6 , upped the sound about 5 notches and the Atmos was very good.

Just watched my 4K disc tonight and the first time I had seen the film ..... just totally fooking incredible !!!
Picture quality was jaw dropping on my 65E6 , upped the sound about 5 notches and the Atmos was very good.

Does seem that 5 to 8 clicks on the sound front is just about dandy on the Atmos front , still a lil lacking on LFE punch n grunt though and not as precise or focussed as other discs I have . Good but considering the films magnitude it should be outstanding .

Watched this tonight on 4K UHD and I was very impressed with the picture and the sound. Did have to turn the sound up a little (about 10%), but it rumbled my front room enough! The picture quality is amazing, the colours are fantastic and the HDR really makes the picture pop out.....

I Pick my copy up Tomorrow - just received Thor Ragnarok 4K Today, so looking forward to a back-to-back Binge Fest Friday or Saturday
Quite easy to do, I would again this weekend being there is hardly any footy on but Iron Fist, season 2 drops tomorrow so will be binging on that........

Copy of IMG_20180906_180559985.jpg

All this, & the First Games of the NFL Season at 19:00 Sunday CET! Will be a fun weekend, whatever the Weather! :thumbsup:

I just watched this movie again in all it's 4k and HDR beauty and it looked amazing but OMG what a movie! 1 of my all time favourite films. Thanos was just everything I could have wished for and the action scenes just have me grinning from ear to ear. I know some are of the opinion there is to many comic book films around but for me personally I hope Marvel just keep going on and on. Where they go from here and moving forward I have no idea but I am strapped in and ready for the ride and I can not wait to see Thanos again.

As mentioned by a AVF reviewer I really cant comprehend why DISNEY insists on these terrible mixes. Saw it on IMAX and sound was amazing but the disk transfer really does not do justice to the movie. And it should have been f****ng epic as the movie is.Therefore the 8 rating for the sound seems very generous, even dare I say almost biased....

As mentioned by a AVF reviewer I really cant comprehend why DISNEY insists on these terrible mixes. Saw it on IMAX and sound was amazing but the disk transfer really does not do justice to the movie. And it should have been f****ng epic as the movie is.Therefore the 8 rating for the sound seems very generous, even dare I say almost biased....

Without wishing to sound snobbish... I really don’t mean it that way at all... I think there is a ‘level’ and quantity of audio hardware required to really hear the night and day difference between this disc and, for example, Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2. If your set-up can reach the full potential of that disc, you’re going to really hear how comparatively poor Infinity War actually is.

But for many I’m sure it sounds fine. And it does sound fine, it just doesn’t cause me to constantly gasp the way some far better mixes do. So everyone’s right here — both those applauding the audio and those decrying it... it’s gear-subjective, I think.

Without wishing to sound snobbish... I really don’t mean it that way at all... I think there is a ‘level’ and quantity of audio hardware required to really hear the night and day difference between this disc and, for example, Guardian Of The Galaxy Vol. 2. If your set-up can reach the full potential of that disc, you’re going to really hear how comparatively poor Infinity War actually is.

But for many I’m sure it sounds fine. And it does sound fine, it just doesn’t cause me to constantly gasp the way some far better mixes do. So everyone’s right here — both those applauding the audio and those decrying it... it’s gear-subjective, I think.

An excellent point. We pre-ordered the 4K Disk, as we were so blown away by the Movie at the Cinema, so some of the comments made me a little concerned if the Sound would let it down with a Home Viewing. However our Atmos set up is very humble, especially in comparison to the rigs & special rooms that many here have. Saturday is the view day (Tonight is for viewing the final two parter of Counterpart), so I'll report back how it comes over for us :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom