• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Avengers End Game: 2D IMAX showings anywhere?

Trew

Established Member
Hey,

Anyone managed to spot a 2D IMAX showing of End Game?

Was hoping BFI IMAX would have 2D showings but they've gone for 3D which I understand but it's still a shame.

Even the local cinema that has a big screen (Showcase XPlus) is showing it in 3D.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Hey,

Anyone managed to spot a 2D IMAX showing of End Game?

Was hoping BFI IMAX would have 2D showings but they've gone for 3D which I understand but it's still a shame.

Even the local cinema that has a big screen (Showcase XPlus) is showing it in 3D.

Searching through imax.com Avengers: Endgame it looks like there’s only 3 cinemas with 2D showings in UK:

Cambridge Light Cinema
Avengers: Endgame

Vue at Manchester Printworks
https://www.myvue.com/cinema/manchester-printworks/whats-on

Perth Playhouse
Catch a Film at IMAX Playhouse Perth | Independent Cinema

Last edited:

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
So looks like Vue are the sole chain doing 2D screenings from the 26th (only indie cinemas on preview nights) but don’t think that Vue have any IMAX auditoriums in the south of U.K.

D5FB57BB-A9C0-4B88-A3E7-3980363006E3.jpeg
AA8AB51F-C74C-4E75-A848-798B38A9D757.jpeg
1B37D101-2F1C-4F55-9547-B9478526BB07.jpeg

Trew

Established Member
Searching through imax.com Avengers: Endgame it looks like there’s only 3 cinemas with 2D showings in UK:

Cambridge Light Cinema
Avengers: Endgame

Vue at Manchester Printworks
https://www.myvue.com/cinema/manchester-printworks/whats-on

Perth Playhouse
Catch a Film at IMAX Playhouse Perth | Independent Cinema

Vue Cheshire oaks has it, I’ve booked for 2d imax

So looks like Vue are the sole chain doing 2D screenings from the 26th (only indie cinemas on preview nights) but don’t think that Vue have any IMAX auditoriums in the south of U.K.

View attachment 1136466 View attachment 1136467 View attachment 1136468

Thanks for the help guys.

It's a shame the 2D IMAX screens are so far away from the East Midlands.

But I've come across Odeon ISENSE screens that are showing the movie in 2D. This option seems like the next best thing since the screens are wall to wall and ceiling to floor, equipped with Sony 4K projection and Dolby Atmos sound. The one in Birmingham Broadway Plaza seems like the best option right now.

If anyone spots more screens please let me know and I'll also update the thread if I find anything else.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
@Trew

To be an utter pedant :devil: Odeon use NEC projectors in their ISENSE auditoria (well they did at Milton Keynes anyway) so it would seem that it’s choice of Vue, Showcase plus Everyman which have Sony systems in Midlands:

Sony 4K cinema locator
68C73CE7-A467-46BB-B9B9-E60878BFA6AD.jpeg

Although it doesn’t look like Vue have any of their XTREME auditoria in your neck of the woods:

Movie Theater Locator: Find a Theatre with Dolby Sound
3ECCB010-31F3-4648-A266-802CA1EF03D2.jpeg

So if Showcase are only doing 3D, then judging by these photos it looks like that ISENSE in Birmingham you mentioned will be your best option:

Odeon Birmingham Broadway Plaza | Theatre/Cinema |
EE3F4608-65C7-4D50-814C-4374A2BB01EF.jpeg

As the Superscreen at Solihull appears to be quite a small retrofit:

Win a chance to experience the thrill of Superscreen at Cineworld Solihull
ED360F4A-68C7-452C-9E15-384BBDB6E434.jpeg

TheDarkKnight01

Prominent Member
2D IMAX is by far the best way to watch a movie, in my opinion.

It is so frustrating that they put out these big movies in 3D IMAX, purely greed I would imagine, as they can charge more for the tickets.

If I had my way, every cinema complex would have a dedicated 2D IMAX screen.

ASL1

Established Member
If you can wait, I’m sure they’ll be 2D imax Screenings added to the line up.

It would be nice if they offered a choice of 2d or 3d straight away, rather than have to wait 2 weeks and then have the movie potentially spoiled, while waiting.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
It would be nice if they offered a choice of 2d or 3d straight away, rather than have to wait 2 weeks and then have the movie potentially spoiled, while waiting.
Yeah agreed. I’ve just booked tickets at The Light Cinema in Cambridge (it’s only about 55miles from me) as like you say they’re doing 2 showings in 2D and 2 3D showings a day on their fairly new IMAX screen. It opened in 2017 and i’d been meaning to check it out for a while, so I figure Endgame is the perfect excuse.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom