1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVD-11SR - Is bi-ampimg possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mr Incredible, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,670
    Hi All. :hiya:

Does anyone know whether the AVC-11SR can be is bi-amped for the front speakers?

Cheers.
    :thumbsup:

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,670
    Not to worry. answer found in the Classified section.!

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nope, you can bi-wire, unless you get a power amp which can bi-amp and connect the pre-outs for the front channels.

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,670
    Like the 3805 apaprently.

5. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    You can "fudge" Bi-Amping with the 3805 but not with the A11SR as it doesn't have the Zone 3 Power Amp Assignment feature.

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,670
    Not quite a "fudge" per se, I think it is an accepted way of achieving it, but because there had been reported issues of "humming" on the 3805 in bi-amping in some quarters, the "feature" is not officially supported by Denon. I think with previous models Denon were quite happy to promote bi-amping. The latest flagship model is touted as bi-amping on their web site, but I believe the method of achieving it is no different to the 3805, and certainly no fudge.

I had hoped the 11SR may have the same assignable power amp section, a "fudge" or not as the case may be! Apparently it doesn't.

/me pops a shilling into my 3805 piggy bank fund. ;)

7. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I tried setting up my 2805 in what was effectively bi-amped configuration (only I was doing it so I could get digital sources output to zone 2 if I was listening to them in zone 1 at the same time.) It does work, but you can get a serious amount of hum introduced by a ground loop via the interconnect used to bring the preamp out into an unused input.

Cutting the ground in the interconnect fixes the ground loop and gets rid of the hum - make sure you do this if you try biamping with a 2805 or 3805.

The fact that you do get a ground loop does rather suggest this isn't a Denon-sanctioned procedure - not to mention the fact that they could have made it much easier to do by just having a multizone setting which sends all audio simultaneously to both zone 1 and zone 2. This would have been trivial - I've no idea why they didn'tdo it!

8. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,564
    The latest models (A1XV and A11XV) have true assignable amp options so you can properly assign two pairs of amps to the front channels for bi-amping. The older models with Power Amp Assignment, can't do this. They can only be assigned to other Zones or the Surround Back channels so you had to do a work around to achieve bi-amping. :)