AVCHD PS3 playback issues

ramit

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

I've rendered some footage taken with my Canon HF100 in Sony Vegas 9 for playback on my PS3 (Rendered at .m2ts 1920x1080 PAL 25fps)

When the clips are small - i.e 2-3 min, they playback fine from the PS3 harddrive.

However when the clips are a litter bigger i.e 10min 1.2Gb, around half way through the sound skips and the picture playback speed also flucutates!. When the clip is played back on my PC - its fine.

Does anyone have a workaround for this, or is the PS3 simply not poweful enough to deal with bigger movie files?

All,

I've rendered some footage taken with my Canon HF100 in Sony Vegas 9 for playback on my PS3 (Rendered at .m2ts 1920x1080 PAL 25fps)

When the clips are small - i.e 2-3 min, they playback fine from the PS3 harddrive.

However when the clips are a litter bigger i.e 10min 1.2Gb, around half way through the sound skips and the picture playback speed also flucutates!. When the clip is played back on my PC - its fine.

Does anyone have a workaround for this, or is the PS3 simply not poweful enough to deal with bigger movie files?

could this speed up/fluctuation be at the point where the clips join?
I dont have any problems with my files and a couple are around 2GB

Could well be - Any idea how to prevent this?

I'm also seeing similar issues when playing clips on WMP - The sound goes out of sync after a while......

Could well be - Any idea how to prevent this?

I'm also seeing similar issues when playing clips on WMP - The sound goes out of sync after a while......

So are you saying you have joined smaller clips together?
If so one thing i would do first is to shoot a long piece of footage, to give me a large file and test that.
Ive had issues in the past with joins not playing back properly. Normally this was only when i tried to join the files without editing or re encoding
them using some of the free apps you can download. I now use the software that came with my HF10 to do this and the files play fine.
Might be worth a look in to this if you think the joining process could be causing the problems.

So are you saying you have joined smaller clips together?
If so one thing i would do first is to shoot a long piece of footage, to give me a large file and test that.
Ive had issues in the past with joins not playing back properly. Normally this was only when i tried to join the files without editing or re encoding
them using some of the free apps you can download. I now use the software that came with my HF10 to do this and the files play fine.
Might be worth a look in to this if you think the joining process could be causing the problems.

Yep, I had joined smaller clips together. I've tried your approach of joining the files together using the imagemixer software - That works fine. However, if I then try and open the resulting file in Vegas 9 for rendering to youtube/other formats - it crashes instantly!

This editing buisness with AVCHD is pretty unstable.... :confused:

I suggested trying to convert them to HDV but I felt you ignored my post as it did not seem to be what you were after.. ;)
Also I linked TSS .. did you eveh try that?

I think i had the same problem. I did over come it but cant remeber how.
My sugestion then is to join the clips together in Vegas and output your Youtube file directly and just use IM3 to output a full res version for PS3 playback. Not ideal but it might help until you can sort the crashing problem out.
I have not had any problems joining clips in Vegas but of course Vegas then wants to re code the files, even just outputting back to AVCHD.
Ive not tried version 9 though, i only have version 8 pro.

I suggested trying to convert them to HDV but I felt you ignored my post as it did not seem to be what you were after.. ;)
Also I linked TSS .. did you eveh try that?

Sorry I missed that - was that in another thread?

What is the HDV format you refer to? Also what is TSS?

Sorry I missed that - was that in another thread?
Apologies, very somewhat related query, differnt poster:)
http://www.avforums.com/forums/camc...-movie-studio-platinum-9-how.html#post8695829

What is the HDV format you refer to? Also what is TSS?
TSS is a free software develpoed to spilt ( or join) transort stream files without reencoding
However it is now saidnot to support AVCHD
HDV is mpeg2 1080i ( output from Tape hi def camcorders)
ou can convert AVCHD to it with no loss in qualaity but increase in file size
PS3 will playback without any issues
Vegas can output your several AVCHD clips joined up to HDV ..
No harm in experimenting:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom