• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVCHD?/Progressive/iframes??

indus

Distinguished Member
Hi

I've just bought a Panasonic x800, this is my first camcorder that doesn't take tapes of some kind!

I see it offers me three 2d recording formats ie AVCHD, AVCHD progressive and iframes. I have no idea which to use. I use a Macbook at home and don't really have access to a Windows machine. However I have no intention of doing any editing of any kind.

I do want the highest quality picture though.

Also my TV has a SD card slot, does that mean I can just slip the SD card into it and it will play my recorded videos??

Many thanks

indus

Distinguished Member
Ok. So since I have a TV and cam that are both Panasonic I think if I record in AVCHD I can indeed just slip the SD card in and play video.

So this would be the obvious format to record in. But then how do I store the videos? Will my Macbook be able to do this?

Thanks

rogs

Prominent Member
I do want the highest quality picture though......

Also my TV has a SD card slot, does that mean I can just slip the SD card into it and it will play my recorded videos??

The highest quality format will be AVCHD 1080/50p (50 frame progressive)

That will probably not play using the TV SD card slot though.

(Have a look through this thread ..http://www.avforums.com/forums/camc...dited-hd-recordings-will-not-playback-tv.html )

So you'll probably have to decide whether you want to record at the highest quality, OR the ability to play back using the TV SD card slot....

indus

Distinguished Member
Thanks Rogs. I've just taken a few videos in 1080/50p and when I insert the SD card into the TV it says 'no valid video files'!!

I'll try shooting in a lower quality format and see if that works.

indus

Distinguished Member
If I choose the option one quality below 1080/50p ie 1920 HA the video files will play straight off the SD card on my TV.

Can anybody give me an idea how much difference there is in terms of picture quality between 1080/50p and 1920 HA?

Many thanks

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
If I choose the option one quality below 1080/50p ie 1920 HA the video files will play straight off the SD card on my TV.

Can anybody give me an idea how much difference there is in terms of picture quality between 1080/50p and 1920 HA?

Many thanks

Not a massive amount, moving objects will be smoother using the 50p preset. They both have 1920 x 1080 pixels. HA mode should exceed broadcast HD quality which is the same video standard but uses a much lower bitrate. Example BBC1-HD from satellite 1920 x 1080 interlaced with an average bitrate of about 8Mbps (Megabits/Second) (Freeview-HD has some 1080p25 content), HA mode is also 1920 x 1080 interlaced probably with an average of around 17Mbps (Based on my Sony).
Both use AVC/H264 compression and 25fps (AVCHD)

indus

Distinguished Member
Thanks Graham

PhilipL

Prominent Member
Hi

Thanks Rogs. I've just taken a few videos in 1080/50p and when I insert the SD card into the TV it says 'no valid video files'!!

I'll try shooting in a lower quality format and see if that works.

I'd recommend getting a cheap HDMI cable from Amazon so you can view 1080/50P direct from the camcorder to ensure you are happy using the lower quality.

50i is only half resolution for anything that moves, factor in interlaced on progressive displays also causes a quality loss, seeing 50p on a progressive display can a bit of an eye opener. Interlacing is a very crude form of lossy compression dating back to the days of the first black and white TVs, we have no place for it in 2013.

With 50P there is a real feeling of looking through a window, plus progressive compresses better than interlaced and is also recorded at a higher bit rate so less even compression artefacts.

Editing produces better results as well. Play back on computer monitors looks significantly better due to computer monitors being progressive displays and we often sat very much closer.

When we all have large 4K super high definition displays, that 50P footage is going to look a lot better than 50i and you can't go back and re-record.

I think you can capture at 50P and down convert to 50i in that model, so giving you compatibility now, but still having the original 50P for in the future.

Many Blu-ray players support 50P now, all new Sony's do and others with the AVCHD Progressive logo.

It's a bit like many years ago buying a colour video camcorder and being told to record in black and white as you only have a black and white TV, it makes sense now but later....

Regards

Phil

Last edited:

PhilipL

Prominent Member
Hi

Not sure what that video shows or proves. Frame rate and interlacing is about temporal information and that video contains no temporal data is it is just a series of static images!

A true test of sharpness for a video camera requires motion, as after all that is a video cameras purpose, to record motion. If you want a static image as sharp as possible any digital camera would likely beat a camcorder hands down. Sharpness tests with video using static images are pointless, as the majority, if not everything you film with a video camera, has some motion somewhere.

How We Test Camcorders - Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons

Regards

Phil

chrishull3

Prominent Member
Hi

Not sure what that video shows or proves. Frame rate and interlacing is about temporal information and that video contains no temporal data is it is just a series of static images!

A true test of sharpness for a video camera requires motion, as after all that is a video cameras purpose, to record motion. If you want a static image as sharp as possible any digital camera would likely beat a camcorder hands down. Sharpness tests with video using static images are pointless, as the majority, if not everything you film with a video camera, has some motion somewhere.

How We Test Camcorders - Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons

Regards

Phil
Yes that only shows 50P has no more static resolution and in the case i showed a lot less as the 50P camera has a lower resolution sensor,the fact Canons latest HFG25 has not been given 50P while some of the cheaper smaller sensor models have may seem strange but seeing how cams like my XA10 and Pana GH2 perform compared to my camera that has has 50P its not that important,and as said only certain latest BD players support 50P.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom