Avchd/Macbook pro/ps3

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by rupert-hd, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well have looked around the forums I know there have already been a lot of questions posted about avchd and the mac software.
    This is my situation, I own a Sony Tg3 camcorder and I am going on holiday so will end up with loads of diffrent clips.
    I would like to be able to edit these clips together when I get back and maybe do some basic stuff like adding music and some text to make a sort of holiday story.
    I would then like to be able to put the edited movie onto my Ps3 hard drive for viewing, I don't want to burn it to a DVD due to the limited capacity.
    I'd obviously still like to keep the movie in a high def format of some sort and still keep the Dolby 5.1.
    So my question is, is there any software out there for a Mac that will allow me to do this?
    I'm new to all this so sorry if it has been previoulsy posted or I have got it all wrong!!
    Cheers

2. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    You can do all that except keep the dolby 5.1 as none of the current mac software supports it.

The times I've wanted the 5.1 I've just plugged the TG3 direct into my PS3 over USB and it works fine that way.

3. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What software would I use for this, and what file format would it be in after the editing or what it stay as avchd??
    Cheers

4. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    As long as you don't want the 5.1 sound then iMovie works great, so does Final Cut Express/Pro. You'll end up with a MP4 H264 file which will play back fine on the PS3. What I do is when I've done the movie in iMovie is to share it to Quicktime and export it as a 1280x720 file with 5000kbps bit rate and it looks great on the PS3.

If you want 5.1 then you'll have to use Sony Vegas but this will mean you need to run Windows in Boot Camp to do this. Personally I didn't think the 5.1 was that great so didn't bother. When I do want the 5.1 it comes direct from plugging the camera in to the PS3.

BTW, none of the mac software will export a movie as AVCHD, not sure if Sony Vegas will either.

5. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for your help:smashin:
    I will wait for imovie 09 to come through and give it a go.
    I guess your right about the 5.1 it's not quite like the sound you get from a movie!! I have still got my original clips copied over to the ps3 hard drive anyhow so they still play in 5.1 if I ever wanted to go back to them.
    Cheers

6. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    What I do is when I fill my card up (8gb) I plug it into my Mac and take a compressed disk image of it.

This then goes to a DVD-DL for backup purposes in case I ever need it again, as well as putting a copy on my Time Capsule. That way if I ever need it in future its in 2 places just in case.

7. rupert-hd

rupert-hd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If I take the memory card out of the camera and plug it into my memory card reader I can import the files into imovie as it recognizes them. Problem I am having is if I move my old movie clips off my ps3 onto the memory card imovie doesn't recognize them.
    Is there any way to get my old clips of my ps3 into imovie??

8. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Get yourself a copy of VoltaicHD and batch convert files overnight (it's time-consuming). You'll end up with .mov QuickTime files using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) which can be imported into iMovie.

Or you could try fooling iMovie into thinking you're plugging in a memory card fresh out of your camcorder by mimicking the AVCHD folder structure. I've not tried this, but I'd say there's at least a chance of it working.