AVCHD and Apple iMovie 08

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27989

I've become an owner of a Sony HDR-TG3e since last Thursday and noticed that a lot of the questions were to do with how to handle these files. Or to be more accurate, how to handle the samples as found on the Internet by prospective buyers.

As such I though I better write up my experiences, unfortunately due to time constraints this weekend I will have to do it into multiple parts.

Part 1: How to import my demo file in iMovie 08
Part 2: How to import single .mts or .m2ts files in iMovie 08
Part 3: Playback and sharing, what are you options

Part 1: How to import my demo file
First get the demo file if you have not already got it, you can find it here. Just navigate to the Sony HDR-TG3e directory and select the file memorystick.zip.

This file contains a direct copy of a memory stick from my camera with no changes.

Unfortunately iMovie 08 does not like to import direct from file, and since prospective buyers not yet have the camera you need to simulate that you have got the flash media. OS X has got all the tools built in.

Just launch Disk Utility and create a new image, for my sample make certain you can select any size from CD upwards. Depending on your system this can take a little while. Once the image is created it will automatically mount.

Then just copy the contents from memorystick.zip into it (don't forget to expand first :D) and once the copy is completed you MUST eject the image file.

Now start up iMovie 08, then switch back to Finder and double click on the image file ([yourname].dmg), the volume you create before appears and iMovie 08 immediately states it detected a camera and will display the import dialog.

Use iMovie as per normal and enjoy :smashin:

I've made a little screen movie demonstrating what you need to do on my screen, just waiting for it to upload before I can give the link.

A much needed guide, and timely too... Now for a PC version.. any offers??:rotfl:

spot on, thanks a lot for this. :thumbsup:

I guess it should work as long as you have imovie 08/ leopard, right?
mine is a maxed out 1st Gen iMac. It will be a bit slow compared to intel based newcomers. Will it work? I am planning to buy Sony TG3.

Thanks.

I guess it should work as long as you have imovie 08/ leopard, right?
mine is a maxed out 1st Gen iMac. It will be a bit slow compared to intel based newcomers. Will it work? I am planning to buy Sony TG3.

Thanks.

1st Gen iMac = G3 PowerPC processor and AVCHD is Intel processor only, so no it won't work unfortunately....:(

Part 2 is still coming, I'm just still figuring out how to create a blu-ray playlist to fool imovie in importing it....Unless someone else already knows...

Hi
I have had one of these lovely cameras for 3 weeks now but it will not let me download HD (.MTS) into imovie '08.

I have downloaded your demo and can see that no problem. I can also see non HD film but the .MTS will not work from my camera.

Apple couldn't help. The camera shop can't offer any solution.
is there a setting on the camera or iMovie?

Any suggestions??

Hi
I have had one of these lovely cameras for 3 weeks now but it will not let me download HD (.MTS) into imovie '08.

I have downloaded your demo and can see that no problem. I can also see non HD film but the .MTS will not work from my camera.

Apple couldn't help. The camera shop can't offer any solution.
is there a setting on the camera or iMovie?

Any suggestions??

The trick is too keep the blue-ray structure. I always take the memory card out and put it in my reader as that is much quicker than leaving it in the camera....You should see it mounted on your desktop....Then just start up iMovie 08 or 09 and the import will start automatically and you can select the scenes you want....

Do not copy the individual files off....let iMovie do the work...

Hi and thanks.
However the card is still in the camera and I have done nothing other than download it to a PC. Now I try to do the same on the mac and all it does is open iPhoto.
I connect, turn on the camera and select USB connect. I have disabled iPhoto auto launch but then nothing happens.
I have tried a new memory stick and even a new (different) mac!
Could it be a faulty camera even if it works on a PC.

Thanks so much for responding.

This is getting frustrating!
Have tried all USB ports on 3 macs, 2 with iMovie 08 one with iMovie 06. I've tried a card reader in all ports. I have also tried attaching another camera, the Sony HDRCX11E and it doesn't work! It's fine with Std Def but not HD same as my TG3.

I must have a setting wrong but what???

Import and then delete any still photograph files or standard definition video files, then try again - with iMovie '08, as iMovie HD doesn't support AVCHD.

I don't get why it doesn't work. Imovie 06 definitely won't, but iMovie 08 and 09 does. I don't do anything special, just stick the memory card in the reader and it works. I never shoot in standard def so only hidef and photos.

I just don't get it. Have you changed the directory structure manually?

The camera is back at the shop now along with my MacBook for them to rectify or refund. I had the same idea about stills but deleting them had no effect. I haven't changed the file structure but the camera was a demo so maybe a factory reset will help. The CX11e had SD movies on it as well as AVCHD so there may be 2 separate causes here.
I am going to the shop on Thursday so will report back the final verdict.
A big thanks to all those with ideas and suggestions, I'm sure we'll get there in the end.

out of interest, did it work with the demo I described above? Forget about individual .mts files as they don't work. But can you do it the disk image creation using my zip file and import that?

Yes Downloaded the demo created the .dmg disk image file and hey presto it imported straight away. That's what's so baffling.
I checked the files in your demo and they were identical to those in my camera, the only difference was the number of .mts files and .cpi files you had 9 I had 120, is there a limit? Also and I only had one playlist file .mpl, you had 4.

I am not aware of a limit, but 120 scenes on one card is a lot! How big a card do you have?

Anyway as my demo file worked we know it is not a mac setting issue. For piece of mind I would make another Dmg of your stick. 1) you have a back up 2) it will be much quicker to read than USB.

Try it then with the dmg, it might be that USB is too slow with so many scenes.

Alternatively if you have toast titanium you can import it as well and master it as bluray disc which could help bring the count down.

It would be naughty if there is a limit, but hey you may have discovered something new. I only use 4Gb stick as I can archive a disc image of those on normal cheap DVDs. And I will never have so many mts files on a single stick.

It's only 4Gb !!! My children used the camera on holiday and there are a lot of 10 second or so clips.
I chose to keep to 4Gb for the same reason as you, archives, and as I take the MacBook everywhere it holds enough for us.

I have created a .dmg of it but iMovie doesn't recognise it either it just opens as if iMovie isn't there. Not like your demo folder.

It is a shame the camera is back at the shop as I could try with other memory sticks etc. I will have to wait until tomorrow and try some other options then.
Will report back but if anyone thinks of anything in the meantime I would be very very grateful.

Nick

Good news and bad. The original 4Gb card still does not work anywhere and if I format it I lose my holiday memories. A new 1Gb card worked first time. :thumbsup::thumbsup: The reason the shop could not get this or the CX11 to work was they were only using a demo 256Mb card and the minimum is apparently 1 Gb.
Anyone know why there is a minimum?
So I am still stuck with the original problem of dowloading my holiday movies but the camera now works as advertised.

Other than borrowing a pc or recording directly on to a DVD I suppose I have lost the originals. Unless someone knows better!!

Any suggestions on would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Please, do not discard the originals...I'm pretty certain they are fine...There are otherways to convert the .MTS files....Don't know why iMovie can't recognise the card...Perhaps because you've pushed the boundary of the number of scenes...Roxio Toast is another way to import the footage...Visual Hub might be able to convert individual files, as does another programme which I cant recall now, will come to me tomorrow...

Anyone know why there is a minimum?
Probably something to do with the fact that most (if not all) cards below 1GB capacity are SD, not SDHC. SD uses FAT16, SDHC is FAT32.
. . . as does another programme which I cant recall now, will come to me tomorrow...
Voltaic HD?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom