AVCA1Original to AVCA1 SE Dilemma HELP!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by compusolve, May 10, 2001.

1. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The System at Present

AVCA1 Dolby Digital THX Amp
    NAD 216 THX Power Amp
    B&W CDM9NT Mains
    B&W HTM Centre
    B&W P4 Rears
    Nordest Solar Wind Cable
    M&K VX7
    M&K V75 MK II
    Millenium DTS Decoder
    Pioneer 737 DVD
    Music Fidelity XRay CD
    Pioneer 925 Laser
    Other Digital Sources

Budget £1800-£2800

I am a little stuck, firstly I love my old AVCA1 for all sources apart from the lacking DTS decoder, which had me stomped re a decision about which DVD to go for, all credit for the Pioneer and its perfomance, but it still left me, with that should have gone on first instincts about the Denon 3300 as it would have promptly stopped my thinking of upgrading the amp. The Millenium decoder does not sound as punchy as the Denon AMP does in DD again I should have sourced a AVD1000, although it sounds more spacious in the crowd scenes of Gladiator.
    My dilemma is that I have just upgraded the speakers to the new CDM9NT's which are out of this world fantastic, now Im thinking should I go for the HTM1 centre at £1500 and sit with DD until my next upgrade, your thoughts much appreciated. Or go this route and add power amps from Denon as they are so low at present about £340, I allready have the Nad for the centre,
    Or do I make the jump and the expense of modifying my stand to the AVCA1SE, with all the gains mentioned in the press, is any other owners out there who have made a similar jump? Is ther any one out there with a AVD1000 looking for a home?

Thanks in Advance

Garry

2. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Gaz
    I'm lookin to purchase the Dennon myself and also the same set of speakers ie CDM 9NT, CDM CNT, CDM SNT, and Sub, could you tell me how much the speakers would cost.
    Also how do you find the Dennon with the B&W speaker setup. :confused:

Steve ;)

3. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Denon, B&W's all round. V.good, but what did you expect??!!

4. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve

The Denon and the B&W are fantasitic together, I had P4 at the fronts but what a difference moving to CDM9NT cost £1800, they have a good midrange and resolve a wide soundstage,

One thing I would say though they take a lot of running in, but get better and better, also watch the cable you choose, I use Nordest Solar Wind which until the speakers are run in can sound a little bright in the trebble stakes, they are now though starting to be easier on the ear and the bass is developing more. I hope this helps?

Regards
    Garry

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Personally I would go for 805's for my front pair, instead of the CDM NT9's, if using a sub as well.

They cost £300 less as well and sound better.

Just my 2p...

Rick

Oh and the Arcam FMJ27 (DVD player) is out next week...