• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVCA11XVA & THX modes

KAZER

Hi All,

I am currently running a full 7.1 setup which allows me to use the Denons THX Ultra modes during playback, however I will soon be/am considering scaling back to a 6.1 system which if I understand correctly will not allow me to access these modes.

I was therefore wondering if I biamped my single surround back speaker using the surround back L & R channels could I trick the amp into thinking I had a full 7.1 setup running and so use the THX modes in questions.

Would there be any issues/dangers in using this method?

Thanks

KAZER

Jules

Distinguished Member
It would technically fool the amp into engaging THX Ultra2 modes, but not much point doing it to be honest.

The clever processing that is applied to the 2 back speakers in THX Ultra2 Cinema / Music modes relies on the close positioning of 2 independant sound sources.

You'd get better results making full use of the Dolby/DTS/THX EX formats.

I'd liken it to driving a 4 wheel car with only 3 wheels instead of driving a car designed to run on 3 wheels. The 4 wheeled car with only 3 wheels just wouldn't run right.

MadMaelstrom

Anyone??

Its at times like this I miss the Denon God Jase!!!

why? Has he gone?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the thx modes still work for 6.1. I wouldn't try the bi-wire trick tho

Cable Monkey

why? Has he gone?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the thx modes still work for 6.1. I wouldn't try the bi-wire trick tho

I think Jase is a busy man. He does pop in from time to time but I am not sure he has time to read and post as much as he has in the past.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom