AVC-A1XVA and HD DVD audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Donkey99, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Donkey99

Donkey99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Help please,

I have an A1SE at the moment connected to my Toshiba HD-XE1 via analog to get True HD audio etc. Would there be an advantage in upgrading to the XVA and connecting to the player via HDMI for sound? I'm mainly trying to see if there are any audio advantages. How does the amp actually process True HD, as I don't see such a decoding listed amongst Dolby this, DTS that etc?

Thanks a million!:confused:

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,163
    Hi,
    Well I've just been in the same position as you.

I owned an A1SE for about 5 years and loved it.
    Then I got an HD-DVD player and other HDMI sources that needed switching via the amp, so I sold it and very recently bought an A11XVA (the little brother to the monster A1XVA).

Sonically I think the A1SE was better, so providing your HD player has good onboard bass management then there's really no reason to upgrade at all.
    Those EXT in's on the A1SE will keep you future proofed.

You'll probably get that niggly feeling that it might sound a bit better fed directly to an HDMI capable amp.
    Not worth it in my book. The A1SE is stonking amplifier, even using its ext inputs.

To answer you question of how the amp decodes Dolby TruHD over HDMI... well it doesn't! At least not at the moment.
    Dolby Tru HD is a method of squeezing a PCM quality soundtrack into less space without using 'lossy' compression like traditional Dolby Digital.
    HD DVD players are currently forced by the disc authors to perform the Dolby Tru HD > PCM conversion inside the player.
    This multichannel PCM audio can then be processed by the amp.... no need for a Dolby TruHD decoder in the amp.

3. Donkey99

Donkey99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Jules,

I think I came upon one of your posts on this - sorry to hear you feel the 11 is a shade down on sonic ability. Yes I've always been happy with my A1SE till now, when as you put it, I started to get that niggly feeling. However thanks to your comment and some other feedback I've had, it seems there is no benefit in upgrading.

Do you or anybody else know if the XVA sounds better than the SE? It seems they have very similar (or same) amplifier stages? I know functionality and possibly processing is improved - what have they put in there that it's so much bigger?

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,309
    Yes. It's a definite step up.

Similar, but the A1XVA has ten amps, one main power transformer (like the A1SRA), two additional transformers nicked from the Denon 2805 and three more for other sections. It has about twice the power capacitance of an A1SRA.

See above but in addition you have a total of four processors (three in the main zone & one for zone 2), HDMI and video processing, Audyssey EQ (which will also EQ three subs independently), Firewire, internet, multizone stuff...

5. GlynH

GlynH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have had the A1SE, A1SRA and now the A1XVA.

If when you mention the XVA you are talking about the A11 then IMHO the A1* series would still have the edge on sound - not features obviously but definitely sound.

In my case my A1SRA sounded better than my A1SE (although the SE was always very good and certainly not disgraced by the A1SRA).

The A1XVA I feel is a little better still - IMHO certainly not as much as you would expect from the price difference but I realise it is probably a case of diminishing returns.

I have not been disappointed with any of my Denon amplifiers (apart from missing out on the tuner that our American cousins get as standard) and I do like to listen to straight 2-Channel stereo music which I feel is the acid test for any A/V amplifier - if it does well with 2-channel stereo music then it will always do well with movies!

All of my A1* series were good with music - and that's coming from a long term Linn/Naim user from 1980-> although I have since sold up.

I do feel though that you need the matching DVD player to get the best from them especially since Denon Link came along...

Kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-