patmyhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI the new Denon a1sr is now availible to pre order
Price

wait for it

£3000
from avland.co.uk
is it worth it £1300 more than the standard as1 now selling at around £1700 +£600 upgrade still makes it £700 less
P@
:eek: :( :eek:

Originally posted by patmyhead
is it worth it £1300 more than the standard as1 now selling at around £1700 +£600 upgrade still makes it £700 less
P@
:eek: :( :eek:

I delayed my purchase until I discovered the price for the new Denon and I have now decided to purchase the older unit and then upgrade it. I cannot see a huge difference in specification.

Note:

Soon after posting this message I discovered that I can get the A1SR for the same price as the upgraded older version so I changed my mind and pre-ordered the A1SR instead.

The prices of £1,700 - £1,900 that you suggest are probably not DENON UK authorised suppliers; the proper list price of the AVC-A1SE has always been £2,500.

AVLand is an approved DENON UK supplier and its products come with the DENON UK 2 year guarantee, so if you compare like to like, the AVC-A1SR is (list) £3,000 but the KAVC-A1SE (list) is £2,500 unit + £600 upgrade = £3,100.

Mark

Point taken
but the fact remains who pays £2500 when you can get the same amp around £8oo less
Not from a uk Denon dealer
But also with a 2 year warrenty
I surpose the same european dealers will discount the new denon
to a level where more people can afford
Makes you think dont it
P@ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3475 euro approx £2120 deliverd uk from Germany
2 year warrenty
is it worth a go?
P@ :rolleyes:

Originally posted by patmyhead
3475 euro approx £2120 deliverd uk from Germany
2 year warrenty
is it worth a go?
P@ :rolleyes:

I am based in Dublin and the price here is likely to be close to Euro 7000 so I have already pre-ordered from Germany at the price you mentioned. I do not expect delivery until Early May.

If you need to use the warrantee you'll probably have to ship it back to Germany, but it is a great price so may be worth the risk.

Personally I'll stick to an official dealer in the UK.

Mark

Best thing to do is to try and negotiate a good price with an official dealer. I think John Lewis is very good in this respect.
Mark

The question needs to be asked, though: Why are we, in the UK, supposed to pay so much more than others? I can't believe that the differences are so pronounced that a £900 premium can be charged. Parallels to the "rip off Britain" car market can be drawn, I think. I also believe that the american market gets the better Atkis remote with their '11SR variant, whereas we get the 3802 remote.

Russell

I fully agree with you Russell. I have complained a long time that the UK should have all the features of the US version.

There are excuses: As far as the AVC-A1SE goes there is no tuner because the import duties on Receivers are higher than for Amplifiers. The Aktis uses RF frequencies that are not permitted for domestic use in the UK and as for the Surround Back channel assignment connectors, DENON market research shows that Europeans are not interested in powered multizone speaker setup.

My questions are: Why don’t DENON integrate a tuner and keep the Tuner inputs so that we can make a choice; use RF frequencies that are allowed in Europe and lastly the AVC-A1SR now has the ability to assign the Surround Back channel as multizone, but we still don’t get the auto-switching speaker terminals.

I believe that if a fault appears in the amp denon uk or there agents would undertake repairs
this is on the info page on the German web site
Buyer pays postage to Denon
P@:cool:

If you buy an imported unit, DENON UK will not undertake repairs. However, if you buy the unit from a company in the UK that has imported it, they are under obligation to provide you with a minimum 1 year guarantee. Since they generally are box shifters, I would imagine that a fault with the unit would result in a replacement unit.

Mark

Originally posted by MarkTaylor
If you need to use the warrantee you'll probably have to ship it back to Germany, but it is a great price so may be worth the risk.

Personally I'll stick to an official dealer in the UK.

Mark

I am not in the UK so that option is not really available to me.

Here in Dublin I could not get anyone to demonstrate the Denon unit.

Richersounds in Dublin are listed as the Denon agent but they do not stock any high end Denon equipment and they were not really interested in sourcing the A1SR for me ... you should see there demo facilities (none). Elsewhere in Dublin I was quoted Euro 7000 without any possibility of seeing the unit in action prior to purchase.

Germany and Ireland are both in the Eurozone and the UK is not ... this does make a big difference and as a result UK prices are no longer attractive.

When I was younger I imported all my hi-fi and computer equipment from the UK but now for some strange reason the majority of UK retailers are unwilling to ship outside the UK "mainland".

About two years ago I switched to buying in Germany and find them much better to deal with. The only real problem in buying from Germany is that few retailers will accept credit cards.

I understand the problems you have there.

I seem to recall that Denon have a 2-tier dealer structure, only the 'Gold' dealers are allowed to sell the higher end products, you'll probably find that your local dealer isn't up to the higher standard and hence wouldn't be allowed to supply the A1SR which may explain their lack of interest in sourcing it for you.

Have you tried these guys :

Sepal
Authorised THX Dealer
163 Stranmillis Road
Belfast BT9 5AJ
Telephone: 028 9038 1296

Wrong side of the border I know, and wrong currency, but as they are THX approved they should at least have decent demo facilities.

Mark

Originally posted by MarkTaylor
I understand the problems you have there.

Have you tried these guys :

Sepal
Authorised THX Dealer
163 Stranmillis Road
Belfast BT9 5AJ
Telephone: 028 9038 1296

Wrong side of the border I know, and wrong currency, but as they are THX approved they should at least have decent demo facilities.

Mark

Not a bad idea but for me it would be easier to go to London (which I do on a regular basis) and visit a few dealers.

Originally posted by MarkB

My questions are: Why don’t DENON integrate a tuner and keep the Tuner inputs so that we can make a choice; use RF frequencies that are allowed in Europe and lastly the AVC-A1SR now has the ability to assign the Surround Back channel as multizone, but we still don’t get the auto-switching speaker terminals.

The bit regarding the remote not having RF comes as a big surprise to me. I have pre-ordered an an A1SR and the RF feature is essential for my installation which has already been built. Does anyone know if it is possible to import the RF version from the USA (I think that you only need the base station) and if there are any dealers who will supply mail order to Europe.

The RC-871 remote in the US is the RC-8000 (remote) and RC-8001ST (RF base station/charger). Don’t expect it to be cheap. It costs about £470 in the UK for the RC-871. Also, you could not use the 871 with the US base station - you would need the RC-8000.

http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/rc8000.pdf

Try the following link for some US DENON dealers, you could try and see if they would export to the UK.

http://www.denon.com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1

If not, you could always get a ProntoPro. Good luck.

You could try the second hand market.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1345454462

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Denon told me today that any repairs needed under warrenty would required the amp to be sent back to Germany
OR pay for repairs
There is according to Denon no European warrenty
so much for the common market
P@

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by MarkB
The RC-871 remote in the US is the RC-8000 (remote) and RC-8001ST (RF base station/charger). Don’t expect it to be cheap. It costs about £470 in the UK for the RC-871. Also, you could not use the 871 with the US base station - you would need the RC-8000.

You could always get a ProntoPro. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1345454462

This information has been very helpful ... I had been told that all I needed was the base station but I was not convinced. None of the dealers in the US (that I have contacted) are in a position to ship to Europe so as you advised it may be necessary to consider the ProntoPro which happens to be very expensive.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
…which happens to be very expensive.

I agree, but it also happens to be considerably better in every respect than the DENON unit. It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. The Marantz unit is even better as it has a larger customisable display area and a programmable joy-pad too.

Mark

patmyhead,

can you post the web page for the German retailier.

For £800 difference in price I'll insure A1SR myself.

i see you on about the remote my broke about 4 month ago dec 21 th got sent back denon for repair they said it's broken unable to repair so they order a new that was 4 month ago now :mad: .

they keep changing the date it due in, i am getting very very p*** off now so if you can get one you got mine mine...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom