1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVC A1SR or VSA AX10i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sticker, Jan 14, 2003.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've not seen a back to back comparison on the Denon AVC-A1SR and the Pioneer VSA-AX10i.
    I'm leaning toward the Denon but I'm really unsure especally as I quite like the Pio 757 DVD player but to help justify the outlay to my boss (wife) she would like the DVD/amp to match!!!

What is the general opinion as to what is the best and most importantly which one will be as upgradable as possible.
    Regards
    John

:)

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These units are very similar, although the pioneer has been known to turn off when dirven hard.

If I was you, I would get the a1sr at discount tv for £2100 (if they still do it). I think denon will be easier to sell than the pioneer come upgrade time.

Also the denon has dolby headphone, and imho looks better.

Upgrade wise, the denon has a dsp which is twice as fast, not to mention better dacs (DSD comp. for sacd via a compatible digital link).

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Here is food for thought.

Why not go the separate route _ Rotel Processor and 5 channel Amp

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guy's,
    Guess what, walked into WH Smith tonight and picked up the latest version of Home Cinema Choice (out today) and............there's a head to head between these two!!!!

:D

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Regardless of who the magazine crown as 'king' between the two amps, I would seriously make my final decision based on a head-to-head demo between the two if I could - spending over £2000 on an amp is a hell of alot of money:eek:

I know how easy it is to buy a product base upon reviews and I learnt that the hard way. Now before I buy any home cinema equipments and finally part with my hard-earn money, I demo the equipment first.

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, the Rotel RSP 1066 and RMB1095 interest me, will have to audition all three.
    Thanks
    John

7. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    lets throw the onkyo 989 in the mx, with its upgraded thx2 specs - it looks to be as good as the denon and pioneer, although i don't think it does the video up-conversion
    i've got a denon 1se at the mo and also dopn't know which way to look at upgrading - the only solution i see is spending a load of cash on a pre/power combo:eek:

8. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Pioneer and having demod both in the home I would have to say that the musicality and sheer contol of the pioneer simply blows away the denon. The auto setup option is also very good and the settings produced reamined unaltered even after using a profesional calibration!

Looking to the at the spearates route at this price level you will be hard pushed to find anthing that will out sing either the Pioneer or the Denon.

As always only your ears count but for the large end of £2500 make sure you demo in your home using your own sources and speakers.

Phil

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Cyrus AV8 plus Rotel power amp, maybe?