AVC-A1SE upgrade questions...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jules, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Firstly, I paid a visit to my Denon gold dealer and enquired about the upgrade.
    I was told they had the necessary paperwork from Denon, and I could bring my unit in.
    I asked how long the job would take, and was informed they would expect to have it back in approx 10-14 days.
    Is this true? I don’t want to send it off if its going to be left on a shelf for weeks until the work can actually be carried out!

Secondly, I bought my unit from Sound & Vision, and was concerned they might not touch it if it was a ‘grey import’ (I have no idea if it is or isn’t).
    The guy I spoke to rang Denon and was told they cannot tell if the unit is a grey import by the serial number.
    However, if it is a grey import, the new board might not be compatible.

Now I don’t know if mine is a grey import or not, but isn’t it unlikely that the guts of the amplifier should be different depending on where its sold?
    I do remember the box mine came in had a “Holland” sticker on it, with a “UK” sticker over the top. If it was originally destined for Holland, doesn’t that mean it’s a European model and therefore even less likely to be any different?

Any thoughts?

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,301
    Hi

When I spoke to my dealer (hes a Denon Gold dealer) he told me the expected turnaround would be 1- 2 weeks. Hopefully this will be the case.

I dont see how the board could not be compatible even if its a grey import from Europe. As far as I´m aware they are all the same (apart from the American AVR5800 which has a tuner and a couple of other features).

My unit was bought in the UK, runs perfectly fine over here in Spain and the units I´ve seen over here are the same as well.
    Mine came with a detachable UK plug so its possible it came via Europe as well (maybe they all do!!!??).

cheers

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules,
    I was told by Roger Bachelor of Denon UK that the mod's would be started April/May.
    Assuming this has not changed, I can't see how your dealer is 'ready' to send your unit away.
    I would wait till the end of March at least. Otherwise you could find your A1SE missing from your shelves for quite a while.

Eric

4. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just a quick note to all

my denon remote for the avc a1se broke back in dec 2001 back end, was sent back for repair 1 jan 2002 they look at it in middle feb after me & my dealer keep phoning them, then they said you will get a new one sent to you in about two weeks, phone them again on 1 march no remotes in the uk, now they are saying not till the end of march possible ? so if you want to be with out your amp for 3 month + send it in now lol:mad:

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yep. I've been waiting for a new remote now for weeks, Hayden told me that they are waiting stocks from Japan. The new remotes will be the latest version though, so you don't actually need to send it for the upgrade.

Mark