1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVC-A1SE upgrade – what about the remote?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkB, Jan 29, 2002.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Does anyone know if the RC-871 will need to be updated when the AVC-A1SE gets updated? I seem to remember that it would although I can't remember where I read it.

Cheers
    Mark

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I would have thought so (hope so!) otherwise I´ll have to get up and move 5ft to press the buttons on the amp!:rolleyes:

Joking aside, I assume they will update it, I just hope they dont wipe out all my stored component commands in the process.

Presumably, they´ll back up the memory first, update it and then reload the stored commands. I dont fancy having to go back and memorize them all again.

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi jase mate,
    Well the thing is my RC-871 is NFG, the button on the front is not working because it was dropped.

My insurance covers this but when I contacted Hayden for a quote (it's £478.20 by the way!!!!) they said that they were nil stock, and would not have any until mid to late February. This made me wonder that perhaps the new stock would be A1SR capable. If not, I would have to make sure that I got the remote before I could upgrade, if you see what I mean.

I've read all the literature I could find on the A1SR and the A1SE upgrade, and it seems that 98% of the new commands could be controlled through menus (like the Surround Parameter menu) which would not require any more buttons etc.

What do you think – can you think of any new features or commands that would require a remote software upgrade?

Mark

4. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just a quick word on the remote my went back for repair on 27-12-01 after going blank total dead still waiting for it to come back, spoke to denon uk to day they have still not look at it yet. it may be possable that they're waiting for new rc to come in...

5. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ps

forgot think i will possable go for the marantz rc5000i remote as a backup next time nightmare without remote my legs are hurting up down

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If the remote is £470, how much is the upgrade? From memory it wasn't stupid money and therefore this layman would tend to think you don't gat a free remote.:(

I hope I am wrong.....

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have now seen a couple of sites that quote "enhanced remote functionality" for the AVR-5803 and "Remote BIOS update" with the A1SE/5800 upgrade, this will probably mean that the remote gets updated too and will need to be sent with the unit when upgrading.

I would like to get the Marantz version of the ProntoPro (RC9200 is it?), with bigger programmable touch-screen and joypad but I'm some way off.

Mark

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The upgrade is likely to be about £600.
    The new AVC-A1SR is likely to be about £3,200.
    The new DVD-A1 is likely to be about £3,000+.

Big money for big kit! That's what you get for buying the best.

Mark

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Mark

I suppose they could just have all the new features accessed via the Onscreen Menus but it would be a bit of a cop out IMO.

I still think the biggest pain in the arse is not being able to switch on & off the back surrounds with the touch of a button a la 3801/2. A little thing but something I really miss from my 3801.

I didnt realise the remote cost so much! You could get 2 or 3 Prontos for that!

I reckon Denon will update the remote as the upgrade is fairly comprehensive.

cheers

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I have the upgraded AVC-A1SE remote, it cost about £200. It's called a Pronto. :D