1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVC-A1SE, KAVC-A1SE and AVC-A1SR differences

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkB, Mar 22, 2002.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This document shows the differences between the original DENON flagship, the new unit and the upgrade, produced be good old DenonJeff.
    Cheers to Gerry and Laurent from the AVR-5800 forum for letting me link to this.

Read AVR-5800 as AVC-A1SE and AVR-5803 as AVC-A1SR.

Mark

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Nice one!

Not a lot in it really, nothing that I´d be needing that would make me go for the A1SR instead of upgrading my A1SE.

Wonder if we get the power amp assignment feature as well or is that still the domain of the 5800.

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    no jase, that's only for those lucky US people that get the extra multi-zone speaker terminals.
    Just out of interest, is there anything you would like to see in the future on these amps? DenonJeff said that he would be going to Japan with a wish list of wants.
    I've asked for the 8 channel adaptor mode (for external equalisation) and also multiple digital in source assignment and 2 dedicated subwoofer output terminals.
    Mark
    e

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Hi Mark

Apart from an onboard acoustic equaliser (decent one!! Parametric if possible!).

The ability to switch the back surrounds on/off via the touch of ONE button a la 3801/2. Not have to go thru the onscreen menus or actually get up out my chair to do it!! Little thing but very handy.

Individual channel level settings for PL2, Dolby etc not lumped together like they are now.

Variable crossover for each speaker e.g 80 hz for centre, 40hz fronts etc.

Or the ability to specify Large/Small speakers for different modes. i.e All Small for movies, for 5ch stereo fronts large, rest small etc

Change to a Pronto remote as standard, the Aktis is ok but limited for some things.

Onscreen menus from the component out - for those that need it.

That should do for starters, I´ll think about some more later!!

cheers

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I must admit, I'm beginning to get a bit windy about the 8 CH EXT IN not having bass management on the SE/KSE. With the SR's 24bit/192kHz Analogue to Digital converters on it's 2 8 CH EXT IN, and it's advanced processing, it would outclass any DVD/SACD players' efforts to bass manage.

Mark

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I see what you mean about the bass management or lack of it on the 8CH input.

Be interesting to see how well they´ve implemented it on the DVD A1.

I´m also interested in the Denon Pre/Power combo they´ve mentioned over at AVS (I´ve been keeping an eye on the Denon Jeff thread!!)

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The A1 seems to have comprehensive bass management (the manual (to the DVD-9000) is here) but even this won’t have the bass management features that the SR has. The thing is that when the DENON link sees the restriction flag set in the PPCM bitstream code (and probably DSD code too), the 8 CH EXT IN will be engaged for analogue input.

Some have mentioned that perhaps the player could be modified to allow the signal even though the restriction flag is set – a bit like having the player modified for R2 progressive output and R1 playback.

Mark

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Lets hope so. With regard to multiregion playback etc that should be fairly easy to sort out, as on the DVD 2800, to be honest if I´m spending that sort of cash I would want the dealer to have Denon enable it (like TAG do).

The Denon link is effectively useless if all discs are protected, which most are!!

All we need is a smart technician to find a way round it, any offers?? :)

9. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I'd at least like to see a future A1SE upgrade allowing individual LFE cross over for each input, ie, a 60Hz cross over for CD (via SPDIF) and 80Hz for DVD input etc. Also Parametric EQ for ironing out room modes etc. I've already suggested these to Jeff and I hope he takes these wishes to Japan? I don't really like the idea of re sampling DVD-A or SACD via the 8 CH inputs, I think a selectable high quality analogue cross over would be a better option.

Cheers Kane

10. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Wish List IS DENON TO SORT OUT THERE REPAIR SERVICE... :mad: 3 MONTH NOW WAITING FOR MY REMOTE TO COME BACK FOR MY AVC A1SE THEY SAID THEY SEND A NEW ONE FOR JAPAN... 2 MONTH AGO :confused:

11. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi i am thinking to upgrade to either the a1se or the new a1sr
    can you buy the a1se with the upgrade if so where?& how much
    pat

12. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    As I understand it the A1SE is being phased out to be replaced by the A1SR so unless a dealer decides to upgrade an existing stock item you will not be able to buy the KAVC-A1SE off the shelf.

There are limited numbers of upgrade kits available as well, so if you intend to buy an A1SE and upgrade it I wouldn't hang around.

The reccomended upgrade kit price is £599.99 and the upgrades should get started around April/May

Mark

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,
    I dont think thats quite right.
    I spoke to Roger Bachelor of Denon at the Bristol Show last month at length on this upgrade subject. When I told him of the limited number rumors he dismissed it as entirely untrue.

Regards
    Eric

14. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    That's good to hear, but it differs from offical Denon statements in the past so I hope it turns out to be correct.

Mark