AVC A1SE - banana plugs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by museumsteve, Sep 14, 2007.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Picked up anotehr K-AVC A1SE last night..so glad I banished the evil Sony amp for good.
    Anyway, when I had the Denon previously I didn;t ever look to use banana plugs. However after arranging to get this unit I had my cabling out so thought it would be a good chance to finally get them 'banana'd' up.
    I just picked up some pretty average plugs from Maplins and Richer Sounds and was all set.
    I got the amp home expecting to spend 10 minutes plugging everything in only to find the plugs were a loose fit at best. The fronts wouldn't stay in at all, the cable for the fronts use Cable Talk 3.1 bi-wire so are pretty hefty cables.
    So any suggestions form anyone please. Can you get plugs that are slightly larger than 4mm..I am assuming 4mm is the right size?

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,249
    4mm is the right size. You could try some locking banana plugs, usually more expensive but they aren't going anywhere once you've tightened them up.

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    thanks mate, I'll do some searching

4. willharris10

willharris10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hey there Steve, I have a Denon AVC A10SE and no problem fitting banana plugs into them. Reason for this posting is that the ones I bought would suit you perfectly!

Bought from Superfi, and not that expensive, but gold plated nonetheless. Here's the link:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2287

Now, in the photo you can's see the actual metal of the plug so let me describe it for you. A gold plated hollow tube with a chamfer cut end. Along the length of the tube is a cut in a wavy pattern running up the shaft and allowing it to apply pressure as it's inserted.

This cut line also allows you to insert a screwdriver and enlarge the tube to a diameter that will fit your amps holes. Thus solving your problem. The fitting for the cables is rather nice too I thought, in having 2 in line screws to give a good grip along about 10mm of cable.

They're not expensive as these things go, but they happen to work very well indeed.

Best of luck mate!

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    thanks dude. I'll have a gander :)

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Quick update.
    My nephew had some nice Q£ED cabling complete already bi-wired and with airloc plugs and they fitted a treat. Guess the plugs I had were cheapos..serves me right.
    Anyway, great to be back in the land of Denon..