1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVC A1SE analogue/digital phase differences

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jules, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Hi,

I'm using the KEF Reference THX speaker package with a Denon AVC A1SE, and whenever I switch between digital and analogue sources in the 'Direct' mode, I need to reverse the phase switch on the subwoofer.

In 'direct' mode, the analogue inputs give phasing that is consistent with all other modes using either analogue or digital sources. But switch to a digital source in 'direct' mode and the bass disappears until I get up and reverse the sub's phase switch.

All the speakers are set to 'small' and the sub is in THX mode.
    I've set the sub level to -10db, (LFE level at 0 db) on all modes, because otherwise the bass output is just a a silly overkill that almost blows the sub apart at very modest levels!

The phasing problem is a pain, because my Sony DAB tuner switches between analogue and digital output when switching between FM and DAB stations.
    I also much prefer the digital inputs for CD replay.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I doing something wrong?

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've noticed this but is it also apparent in Pure Direct mode??

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is really confusing is that with all speakers set to "small" phasing should not be that much of an issue. Okay, roll off on the sub and main speakers isn't going to stop dead at 80Hz but it still seems strange.

I wonder what you have discovered?

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Yep, it's the same in 'pure direct' mode too!
    I know that in the direct modes, the bass management is bypassed, so there may be some lower bass leakage from the main speakers (even though they're THX designs).
    But I still don't get why it effects digital sources and not analogue.
    It happens with CD, MD, Tuner, - everything really, so I can't blame any individual component......except the Amp! Which is a shame, 'cos it's otherwise a superb piece of kit!

I don't think I've gone bonkers.
    I'd be really grateful if other A1SE owners could test this theory and let us all know the outcome.

May be I have discovered something Denon would wish I hadn't.

5. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you rung Denon to ask for Support (!?)

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I havn't. To be honest I don't think there's
    much point unless other people have noticed it. At 28Kg I'd rather not have to return it to Denon, only for them to turn round and say, "nothing wrong with it, Sir. It's up to spec."

May be I'm too picky.
    Let's see if anyone else notices it.

7. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be worth checking to see whether it is meant to be like it or yours has an anomoly of sorts.

Is there provision on your sub to have two line level inputs with separate phase controls?? If so you could split the output from the one sub-out and feed it in to the two inputs. I guess you'd still have to select between them though.

Matt