AVC-A1D Ugrade.?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stever54, Jul 27, 2012.

1. stever54

stever54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody help..?

Have had Denon AVC-A1D AV Surround Amp from new (+16yrs) and feel it's time for an upgrade.
    Sensible suggestions welcome, keen to keep with Denon however and am looking for current day standard that is an equal to this once flagship, future proof model.

Regards

Steve

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. stever54

stever54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From memory the AVC-A1D cost me GBP1500 when new in 1996, what does that get you today..?

Do not wish to get toO tecky on this, could be my advancing years, but am looking for a brighter, cleaner sound in whatever format, do i need to extend to AVC -A1HDA..?

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Things have moved on a fair bit in terms of technology especially with regards to things like Room EQ and the various modes available such as Dolby PLIIz. £1500 will easily get you something that will outperform the A1D. Even the mid-range units from Denon will offer you that (mainly down to the EQ and better Pre-Amp/Processing).

I'd have a listen to the Denon AVR-3313 which is around a £1000-1100 or one of the new Pioneers such as the SC-LX56 or SC-LX76 which are £1300-1700. Pioneers tend to sound a bit brighter/crisper than Denons so might be what you're looking for.

5. stever54

stever54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks the feedback, looked at the 3313 am a little put off by the PRC origin...? I am in Dubai, and the 4311 range is due soon, these are from Japan.

Your recommendations for the Pioneer look good, listened to LX86 via some Polk Audio bins, distinct improvement on the home theatre side of things, do i need 9.2 channel..? Do not even zone expansion as i have this via top range Bose system elsewhere.

In any instance if i narrow my search via your recommendations and will also consider LX56 & 76, i would welcome your views on my current speaker selections which like the AVC-A1D have been with me since '97, they are as follows and all from B&W range..

Front - CDM7-SE
    Rear - DS6
    Centre - CC6S2
    Sub - ASW 100

My room size is approx 11m x 8m x 3m high ceiling.

Further views & recommendations etc on cables, interconnects most welcome.

Regards

Steve

6. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    The higher end Denons tend to be manufactured in Japan but that doesn't make them immune to problems. I guess in order to compete economically they've moved production of more of their range elsewhere. Back in the day even the 38** series was made in Japan. The 43** models are certainly worth considering but might be over budget.

9.2 will certainly cover you for any future expansion of your system even if you don't need it at the moment. Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it!

As for speakers I'm not too familiar with your B&W's but I wouldn't rush into changing them unless you feel they're lacking in some way. They might get a new lease of life on the end of a new Amp so I'd see how they sound when you get your new kit.

Cables/Interconnects is a bit of a minefield. I had mine made by a couple of members of this Forum. Check out Mark Grant Cables as they'll be as good as any you'll find elsewhere.

7. stever54

stever54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit the bullet and have purchased the Pioneer LX85.....

Holding back on the speakers for now, however would be interested in your suggestions towards DVD/Blue-Ray to accompany the Pioneer.

Earlier reports on this indicated that it is a difficult receiver upon which to partner, not sure if this applies both audio and video wise...?

Suggestions welcome.

Regards

Steve

8. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    Might be worth asking for player recommendations in the Blu Ray Player section as I've not kept up with the latest models. I'm still using a Pioneer BDP-51FD which works brilliantly (even though it's an older model).