1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVC-A11XV 'upgrade'

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KAZER, Oct 23, 2005.

1. KAZER

KAZER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hello all

Just a quick question. Been out auditioning this weekend and was v.impressed by AVC-A11XV, my question is, will there be some kind of offical upgrade available for this amp when the new new sound codecs such as DD+ as is the case with some of the other high end equipment or is this more likely to be the case with the AVC-A1XV. are the board seperated on the back panel or is the back panel in a single piece?? :confused:

I know I should have asked when I went to audition but the performance over my 7 year old yamaha left me speechless. :D

This amp has to last a fair few years to come.

Thx

Kazer

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    That is the million dollar question with most amps/receivers sold right now. Personally I am not sure this item is sufficiently 'high end' to offer that level of support from a hardware perspective. I think I am right in saying if this is done it has to be via Denon Link or I-link? SPDIF does not have sufficient bandwidth for the higher definition. With its support for both there is always the hope that a simple firmware upgrade will allow it to function on this and similarly equipped amps.

All of the above is pure speculation! :D

Your new HD player will initially do all of its encoding on board. All you will need is an amp with pre-ins to benefit (as for DVD-A and SACD).

That bit will probably be fact!

3. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there is already a software upgrade available for it in the US (4806 is the US equiv. of the AVC-11XV): http://www.usa.denon.com/201.asp

Now I'm just waiting to see when then release it here! Or better still, the AVC-11XVA (like they did for the DVD-A1XV).

;)

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Says on the Dolby website that DD+ works with all amps that are about now.

Mind you, that DolbyTrueHD looks the dogs nads. :thumbsup:

5. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It also says on the Dolby website that this compatability is achieved by down converting the DD+ into plain old vanilla Dolby Digital.

If DD+ has a maximum data rate of 3 Mbps compared to 640 kbps for normal DD then it's going to mean missing out on the full effect without an amp that has full DD+ on board.

With regards to TrueHD, the Dolby site seems to suggest that the decoding will be done by the player rather than the Amp with the sound pumped down a HDMI link. Is it me, or does this sound like an arse about tit way of doing it? Wouldn't it be better to decode at the end of the chain rather than at the beginning ?

Either way, I'm planning to hold out on buying a new amp until I know that it's either got the new formats or will definately be getting them via some sort of software/hardware upgrade.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    At least that way any Amp with HDMI 1.1 and/or External Decoder Inputs can at least benefit from it. Having the decoding done at the end of the chain eliminates 100% of the current market.

7. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes, but seeing as my Pio VSA-E07 is about five years old and doesn't have HDMI that doesn't really bother me.

I'd like to buy a new amp now with HDMI switching but I'm not going to splosh the dosh when I don't know exactly what codecs I need on board.

Personally I'd like to see all the decoding done just before it's amplified and sent to the speakers. Also, how will the likes of Denon justify the premium prices if their latest and greatest can't decode the latest formats ?

Hopefully with HD-DVD/Bluray arriving soon we may see new fully loaded top-end amps by this time next year.

If not, £250 on a Gefen HDMI switcher as a stop gap sounds a lot better than £2500 on an amp missing features you know you'll need in only a years time.

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If your Pioneer has External Decoder Inputs you could use those.

I doubt you'll see any AV gear with true Dolby HD decoding until 2007. Dolby already mentioned it in the USA. See this post by Kris Deering at AVS Forum:-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6175632&&#post6175632

Specifically:-

HDMI 1.3 is useless for at least DD+/DD-True HD (lossless). Dolby had private conferences with different people (including myself) and relayed the information. The codecs are going to be decoded in the players and sent out as high resolution PCM. They said they don't plan on having a single AVR or SSP with native support for the new Dolby stuff until at least 07 because there is no need for it. They designed the system so no one would have to buy new equipment to take advantage of the new sound coded. Older DD only AVRs and SSPs will get 640kbps DD 5.1 via SPDIF or you can get the full enchilada over HDMI 1.1 as full resolution (including lossless) PCM or via the analog outputs like DVD-A. So no matter what configuration you have the soundtrack will be improved with HDMI 1.1 offering the best.

The big Denon's have a detachable section that hosts the DSP's etc so you could take that out and replace it with one that can decode the newer formats (like they did with the A1SE upgrade). Mind you, they have plenty of DSP horsepower anyway, so it may just be a case of a firmware upgrade.