AVC-A11SR Problem

D

djc101

I have just got myself a second habd avc-a11sr but when i switch it on the emergency shutoff circuitry kicks in immediately even when there is nothing plugged into it. The guy i got it off had it running fine in his house then an hour later when i got it home to mine it is dead. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?:( :confused: :(

Dan

Have you tried connecting anything to it yet? Wire up a couple of speakers and see what happens. If it still does it, reset the amp. Hold down the STEREO & DIRECT buttons on the front whilst turning the POWER on, the display will flash.

Check all the speaker binding posts to see if theres anything in there that could cause a short (bits of speaker wire etc).

Yeah initially i had speakers plugged in and a sub. It worked for a few seconds and then switched off. Ive tried the reset thing you suggested and it didnt make any difference.....:mad:

Oh.:(

If it worked when it was at the guys house it has to be a short somewhere. :confused: Unless its got knackered in transit but I doubt that.

I had an REL q150e connected to it using the high level cable, maybe this has something to do with it?

Originally posted by djc101
I had an REL q150e connected to it using the high level cable, maybe this has something to do with it?

Did you have the yellow wire of the high level cable connected to the correct terminal of the amp? If not, its likely to shut down straightaway.

yep, yellow to the positive post on the left. Strange thing though. I just connected my speakers to a tiny old denon amp. No problems , next it connected the sub and it got very hot very fast! Deffinately corrected correctly. Has my q150 fried my new a11?:confused: Probably just has more sensitive emergency circuitry but then that doesnt explain why it (avca11sr) still wont swich on......grrrr

Bit odd that. Sounds like the sub has done something to it if it caused the other amp to heat up. The shutdown circuitry is very sensitive, even to the point of having a bit of speaker wire touching anything but the terminal and it shuts down.

Wonder if its blown a fuse or something??:confused:

Yeah i wondered that but it does switch on, it just shuts down after about 3 seconds . So it definately has power.

Might be worth giving Denon a call. Tel 01753 888447 ask for Keith Prady, he´s their technical guy, should be able to shed more light on it.:)

Ok , done a bit more testing
I connected my old denon amp up with a low level feed from the rec out socket and it ran no probs and didnt heat up. Then i unhooked that and conneted up the high level line. Within 2 minutes the amp was so hot you could hardly touch it!! I have used a meter to check the high level cable and can say that internally there are no short circuits. I cant think what would be happening, its as if the sub is giving the amp a large load but that shouldnt be the case should it?

(And the new avca11sr is still dead)

Dan

Dan

I´d keep the sub well away from anything if its doing bizarre things like that!! Its very strange, got me stumped!:confused:

There must be something else in the A11SR that has blown/stopped working. I don´t know the internal components inside that well to be honest.

Can´t really suggest anything other than ring Denon, I assume its still covered by warranty even if you bought it 2nd hand.

Jase

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom