AVC-A10Se question about Direct Mode

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve Willett, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Steve Willett

Steve Willett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am using my new Denon AVC A10SE amp with Ruark Talisman Floorstanders as main speakers, Missions for centre / surrounds and a Rel Q100e. I have read the various threads regarding how best to connect these but have settled with all speakers set to small with sub set to yes.
    My problem is that when I want to listen to a CD in stereo mode I want a full range signal even though my Talismans are set to small.
    Is this what the "Direct" button does regardless of how the speakers are configurated?
    I am sure I have read that this is the case somewhere on the forum but I'm not convinced I'm getting full range as it's all sounding rather thin when I use Direct mode.
    I have mailed Denon but they seem to imply that this facility is for bypassing the tone controls but surely the Tone defeat button does that ?

If anyone can clear this up I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Steve

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i have the 1se and when you use the pure direct and direct modes it sets the L&R to large no matter what your settings are and uses the sub as well. not too sure about the 10se but i think its the same bar you don't have the pure direct mode. does anyone want to confirm this?

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,035
    I´m sure its the same on A10SE as well. DIRECT mode sends full range signals to the Front L & R regardless of speaker settings (Small/Large etc). Tone Defeat bypasses the bass/treble etc, nothing else as far as I´m aware. Just remember if you don´t want the sub active when in DIRECT mode, go to the Channel Level adjustment (not the main setup mode, the independant mode settings) and lower the SW channel to -12db then OFF.