Avatar Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 6th May 2010.
James Cameron’s latest effects-laden beast is currently pummelling its way through the Box Office for the second time, and this is the first of the two known home cinema releases due this year. It is a marvellous, visionary effort, literally picking you up and dropping you off on a whole new planet. Sure the story is hackneyed, the dialogue clichéd, and the characters encompass just about every stereotype in the book (the cast trying their best with paper-thin roles that are occasionally, and pretty ironically, quite one-dimensional), but the visuals – particularly in 3D – go a long way to keeping you enthralled and entertained nonetheless. However, the cheap shot at the US’s warmongering tactics is thinly veiled, and ultimately this is a production that will never stand up alongside the likes of Cameron’s Aliens or Terminator 2, except in one respect: effects. The sci-fi blockbuster Director has once again pushed the boundaries with his use of technology, and the 3D ‘novelty’ of Avatar (literally) adds a whole new dimension to the movie, and – frankly – makes it much more watchable.

Personally, I hope that 3D and overuse of CG remains prevalent in certain genres, and is relegated to just massive blockbusters, because – in an old fashion kind of way – I like the idea of the classic filming style enduring on (and, really, are we all going to sit around watching movies at home with 3D glasses on?). Similarly I hope that CG versions of actors do not become commonplace, at least not for another decade or so. In reality, though, the success of Avatar may really change everything – old films, new films, they could all become 3D’d eventually, and we could find a whole extra dimension added to our film-viewing pleasure. Watch this space (as it gradually reaches out of the screen and touches your nose).

With its first Blu-ray release (Region Free in the UK) what fans basically have is a beta-copy of the movie to play with, with perfect video and excellent audio, but no extras. And still only in 2D. In my opinion it is thus an unfinished work. Considering the ground-breaking popularity of the movie I’m not surprised that this has already been a record-breaking release, but personally I think fans are being a little duped. A superior (although again, no doubt, not ‘ultimate edition’) version of the movie is due in November, reported as being a 4-disc box set, potentially with a 3D option, and perhaps even coming as an extended cut. And fans will be compelled to upgrade. And, if that is not in 3D, there will be an upgrade again further down the line. You’ve heard of double-dipping, well Avatar may even beat LOTR in terms of ‘dipping’ (it has the potential: 2D, 2D 4-disc edition, 3D theatrical cut, 3D Director’s Cut 4-disc edition). So I’d suggest waiting. But since I know few will be unable to wait, and since the title is actually quite reasonably priced because of internal market price-wars, this release still gets a recommendation. And it makes one hell of a High Def showroom title. It may not be the awesome spectacle that is ‘Avatar in 3D’ but it is a very enjoyable other-worldly experience nonetheless, and is probably the best-looking title that has ever been released.
Read the full review...

I personally thought this film was the best viewing experience I have had on the blu-ray format to date. The depth, colours, and dare i say even story kept me glued and when it had finished I had that rare moment of not realising how long it had been on.

I personally thought this film was the best viewing experience I have had on the blu-ray format to date. The depth, colours, and dare i say even story kept me glued and when it had finished I had that rare moment of not realising how long it had been on.

summed up my feelings exactly..im pro avatar, and cant wait for the 4 disc edition..which is why ive bought this edition now in the meantime...i also believe that avatar 2 and 3 are in the near future...but thats another thread

Great movie
the best video quality i have seen on bluray format. This really shows what the format can do. Incredible.

My brother works in a retail chain here in NZ, i told him get avatar running as a demo bluray, you will sell more tvs. Absolutely stunning pic quality.

Ohhhh and its great to see full screen 16:9

Sound was also very good

Last edited:
I'll overlook the thin plot and the ridiculous script. The appearance of the film to my eyes was of a video game. The film is heavily dependent on CGI and it showed. Really it was produced as a demonstration of 3D to a lot of people who had never seen it before. Cameron will wring every last dollar from punters with special editions and boxed sets. I have to agree that the DTS sound was above average.

Cameron will wring every last dollar from punters with special editions and boxed sets.

This is exactly what i said before i released here in NZ.

Over here the avg bluray sells for around $35 NZD. To my suprise Day 1 Avatar was for sale for $28. I was expecting $50-60

Last edited by a moderator:
We watched this just now on BluRay, really enjoyed it :thumbsup:

nice cowboys and Indians film that looked like a video game - fell asleep half way thru and woke up wondering when John Wayne was coming into shot:D

However, I'll buy the BD cause I just bought a BD Player:rolleyes:

What an epic film.

By far the best visual and audio i've seen on blu-ray yet. Watched it with a few friends and each one was astounded by it. The flying scene on a 50" screen and surround sound was breathtaking.

An absolute must buy.

Well i realy enjoyed it and the few people who have seen it round here who saw it in 3d at the cinems have all said it doesn't loose that much on my projector or on my TV. I think it's a must have BR the best i have so far.

you would have to be visually impaired not to be gobsmacked by the visual quality of this. The level of detail, not just in the original production, but that is also provided by the bluray is simply astonishing.

Every word on every screen in the control rooms, every leaf on every tree. It's all there to see.

:thumbsup:

But yes, there are failings in the story. Just ignore them and immerse yourself in the visual treat.

Can't wait for the 3D version.
I am biding my time on buying a 3D TV as I know technology will improve and prices will fall over the next year. So the release of avatar 3D should be a good time to buy one.

There are failings in the story. Just ignore them and immerse yourself in the visual treat.

Is the correct answer.
Great film, we've watched it more than once :smashin::smashin:

really acts as a good show piece for BluRay,

while I never saw the film at the cinema and was pushed into getting it for home viewing, the film wasn't the life changing experience for me as it was for others, but the picture and sound really show cased current visual technology that would have looked and sounded great on DVD (for some reason the UK version ships with a DVD as well as a BluRay) looks and sounds breath taking on BluRay.

I found my self lost on the world it presented to me.

The video quality of this blu ray was spectacular. I just wonder if it can get even better than this? Truely amazing PQ.

Agree, I have sat through many movies wondering when they were going to be over, but this one was so well done (storyline aside) I had no clue how long I'd been sitting there watching it.

The addition of a standard DVD as well was a nice touch, wish all BR came with one of these, helps for people who have multiple Standard DVD players and only one BR player, or those with parents who only have standard DVD players and want to borrow it to watch.

Going to watch it again, (so I can truly appreciate it), without the nephew harping on about the weapons used and this or the other, while its on.

Looking forward to the 4disc set in November.

Last edited:
just watched again in whole for the first time since the cinema, only in 2D this time but enjoyed it again

it's hard to get me to sit for nearly 3hrs and watch a film but it's easy enough to do with this, great film

story wise it's really not that original, but hey... :thumbsup:

I still watch this movie numerous times. Constantly getting in arguments with the wifey asking me how I can stand 2 hours of this movie over and over again.

has this been released in the UK in 3D yet? Im saving myself until i can see it in 3D!

Steve

Avatar 3D available by buying certain Panasonic products again see here

You get Avatar and Titanic in 3D, which if you buy the well reviewed bottom of the range player for £109 you get £40 worth of 3D blu ray - great if you were thinking of upgrading anyway!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom