kingofscotland

For those who haven't bought a Pannasonic then fear not, Sky will be showing Avatar in 3D on the Sky 3D channel on Christmas Eve at no extra charge (non PPV).

So where was the big incentive to get a Panny when its on Sky and probably before most have received their free disc?

Seems odd but as a Samsung 3D TV owner I'm delighted.

spikecast

Sounds good to me, just got all my glasses ready for xmas. Roll on, was impressed with Avatar in 3D, not a massive fan of the movie, thought it was overrated personally!

popyto

Standard Member
with exlusives like mva, ice age and coraline all already on sky it was not a big leap to see avatar on sky.
Sky owned by murdoch who owns fox is a far bigger tie than panny supplying cameras. Still many will see the blu ray release as a supirior product. I'll be happy having it on my sky player for now.

dllord

Good news

witchdrash

Looking forward to this, the blu-ray will come out and I'll pick it up, but I'll just sky+ this and it will do until it does :)

SteveAA

Standard Member
Avatar Goes 3D On Sky Movies - Sky Movies HD

8pm on Christmas Eve:

"Make sure you ask Santa for extra pairs of 3D glasses this Christmas. Avatar is coming to Sky Movies in multiple dimensions.

The blockbusting, Oscar-winning science fiction epic is part of our Christmas line up on Sky Movies HD, and will now make its world 3DTV premiere, 8pm on Christmas Eve.

And it's not the only exciting 3D production on Sky either; Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland will also be showing on Sky 3D, along with Sir David Attenborough’s Flying Monsters 3D (a ground breaking documentary about the evolution of pterosaurs) and The Prince’s Trust Rock Gala 3D, featuring Tom Jones, Eric Clapton and Brian May.

John Cassy, Sky 3D’s channel director, said; "Confirming Avatar in our Christmas line up for Sky 3D is a huge honour and fantastic news for customers.”

"We hope 3D will bring people together to enjoy a whole new television experience over this festive and special time of year," he added.":thumbsup:

Cheers,

Steve

nickteale

For those who haven't bought a Pannasonic then fear not, Sky will be showing Avatar in 3D on the Sky 3D channel on Christmas Eve at no extra charge (non PPV).

So where was the big incentive to get a Panny when its on Sky and probably before most have received their free disc?

One problem, I don't have the full sky package to watch 3D.:facepalm:

toddy28

Does anyone know if the Sky box can play 3d sound?

If by 3d sound you mean surround sound yes it
Can via optical output to an amp the best sky can output is Dolby digital 5.1 you can not get this through hdmi only 2 channel sound

General Panic

One problem, I don't have the full sky package to watch 3D.:facepalm:
Have you tried to view the 3D channel in the last few days? Someone on the forums has said they don't have the full package and the 3D channel was working for them. Not sure if it was a glitch or something more pernament?

I have the full package so can't confirm this but it's worth having a look.

midknight

Have you tried to view the 3D channel in the last few days? Someone on the forums has said they don't have the full package and the 3D channel was working for them. Not sure if it was a glitch or something more pernament?

I have the full package so can't confirm this but it's worth having a look.
I only have the movie package (and HD) and I can get it too :thumbsup:

rereswood

Standard Member
Will I be able to record this on sky+hd and watch again later on or will it be encrypted so you cant record and store ? anyone .....

forestguy

Because Avatar on Blu-Ray will be 1080p and on Sky it is only 1080i believe me there is a difference :)

toddy28

960x1080i so it's half res better then a DVD but not hd

I have compared my blu ray 3d to sky and there is quite a difference in picture quality but the 3d effect is about the same

kingofscotland

I am fully aware that the Blu Ray release will be better as it will be in 1080p 24hz, but not enough of a difference to make someone go out and specifically buy a Panasonic TV when its on Sky 3D which will tide you over u8ntil the 3D Blu Ray is released to the general public.

Because Avatar on Blu-Ray will be 1080p and on Sky it is only 1080i believe me there is a difference :)

antsims

I am fully aware that the Blu Ray release will be better as it will be in 1080p 24hz, but not enough of a difference to make someone go out and specifically buy a Panasonic TV when its on Sky 3D which will tide you over u8ntil the 3D Blu Ray is released to the general public.
Totally agree. I for one cannot wait for the Blu Ray release and will definately buy it, however in the meantime, this sky 3d version will more than happliy suffice. All 3D films I have watched on Sky 3D look amazing, and I dont expect Avatar to look any less impressive.

Roll on 24th December (glad I have a 1TB box so I can keep it on my planner along with all the other 3D movies I have saved)

wonneil

I'm another one who agrees...

I've seen Avatar 3D at the cinema, I've watched Avatar in 1080p as I have the Bluray, I don't mind at all that the next time I watch Avatar (on the 24th in 3D on Sky) it won't be in full hd as the 3D effect is what I want it for. Then when I feel like I would like to watch it again, which will be at least six months to a year away, I will be able to buy the Bluray 3D version and watch that one.

Now just need to know when Sky will be showing How to train your Dragon in 3D! :D

KhalJimbo

I'm another one who agrees...

I've seen Avatar 3D at the cinema, I've watched Avatar in 1080p as I have the Bluray, I don't mind at all that the next time I watch Avatar (on the 24th in 3D on Sky) it won't be in full hd as the 3D effect is what I want it for. Then when I feel like I would like to watch it again, which will be at least six months to a year away, I will be able to buy the Bluray 3D version and watch that one.

Now just need to know when Sky will be showing How to train your Dragon in 3D! :D
Or UP, I want UP in 3D!!

KhalJimbo

Its 920x1080i but the way sky broadcast 1080i is the Sky box and your TV deinterlace the signal into 1080p (provided you have a 1080p display).

So in actual fact You'll be watching Avatar in 920x1080p.

kourosh

with exlusives like mva, ice age and coraline all already on sky it was not a big leap to see avatar on sky.
Sky owned by murdoch who owns fox is a far bigger tie than panny supplying cameras. Still many will see the blu ray release as a supirior product. I'll be happy having it on my sky player for now.
it was a sony camera that shot the 3D scene's ;)

Sony Cameras Used on AVATAR

mike7

it was a sony camera that shot the 3D scene's ;)

Sony Cameras Used on AVATAR
I had the opportunity of watching about 10 minutes of Avatar on a large Panasonic yesterday. Can't say I was over impressed. The foregound and main characters were clearly 3D and the effect was good. These were the actual live action pieces shot on Sony cameras. The further back objects were the flatter the images became. Some of the scenary looked like a painted backdrop. Quite unlike the cinema version which also had the immersive effect of a giant screen. For the most part Avatar is a CGI creation and little more than a cartoon as far as effects go.

I think 3D TV, and the material for it, has a long way to go before it becomes anything more than a novelty in the home. I suspect people will soon get tired of it. Still, full marks for Panasonic that their demo works. In my experience the Samsung ones never do.

Top Bottom