AVATAR 3D finally released to the masses!

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
news has broke today ...

here

looks like the collectors edition formally only the theatrical cut has been available through the purchase of a panasonic bluray player ...

Last edited:
news has broke today ...

here

looks like the collectors edition with all 3 cuts! formally only the theatrical cut has been available through the purchase of a panasonic bluray player ...

Everything I've read says it's just the theatrical cut, given to you in three formats (like anybody really wants anything other than the Blu-ray).

They will be gouging fans with the theatrical cut this "holiday season" and then gouging them again with the extended cut in 3D next "holiday season" you can pretty much guarantee it.

Everything I've read says it's just the theatrical cut, given to you in three formats (like anybody really wants anything other than the Blu-ray).

They will be gouging fans with the theatrical cut this "holiday season" and then gouging them again with the extended cut in 3D next "holiday season" you can pretty much guarantee it.

first post amended! ... prefer the longer cuts, guess there saving that for the release of avatar 2 ..DOH!

I too prefer the longest cut since I've first seen it. Hopefully that will get a release by the time I've upgraded to 3D.

About time!

I much prefer the theatrical version, so the Panny freebie + Blu-ray SE = me happy.

Yep, I watched Avatar 3D at the cinema, and while the story was a load of tripe, the 3D was amazing in places, and as I'm planning to upgrade to 3D later this year, I got my Panasonic 120 blu ray player in preparation with free copies of Avatar and Titanic -happy days !!

Yep, I watched Avatar 3D at the cinema, and while the story was a load of tripe, the 3D was amazing in places, and as I'm planning to upgrade to 3D later this year, I got my Panasonic 120 blu ray player in preparation with free copies of Avatar and Titanic -happy days !!

I agree, story wasn't for me, but the production was outstanding.
The picture at home is amazing (I have found 3D at home to be more impressive with less issues). Just sold my promo for a silly price, so will purchase this as it is still the best demo material out there.

People feel its obligatory to go on about how bad the "story" apparently was for Avatar, but really, how many blockbusters have a sophisticated story ? The "going native" plot for Avatar is servicable enough and it has a dramatic arc that works, the characters are a little better than for many of these type of films and in the end it's main point is its world building, of which Avatar is one of the most elaborate I can remember seeing in a film.

Last edited:
I've spoken with Fox who have confirmed this is the theatrical cut only.

People feel its obligatory to go on about how bad the "story" apparently was for Avatar, but really, how many blockbusters have a sophisticated story ? The "going native" plot for Avatar is servicable enough and it has a dramatic arc that works, the characters are a little better than for many of these type of films and in the end it's main point is its world building, of which Avatar is one of the most elaborate I can remember seeing in a film.

Before I saw it for the first time I was ready to laugh at it - "Dancing With Smurfs" etc. It isnt perfect, not by a long shot, but its certainly entertaining. Hell, even my hard to impress Dad liked it a lot more than he was expecting to!

People just jumped on a bandwagon not realising how stupid it made them look,imo.
Avatar has a solid story in the theatrical cut and a really good one in the extended version. Technically it is outstanding, a masterpiece to behold.

The world Cameron built can be expanded into all directions,I feel, and to me it is this generations Star Wars.... and yes,I say that as someone who lived,breathed and ate Star Wars as a kid! :smashin:

People just jumped on a bandwagon not realising how stupid it made them look,imo.
Avatar has a solid story in the theatrical cut and a really good one in the extended version. Technically it is outstanding, a masterpiece to behold.

The world Cameron built can be expanded into all directions,I feel, and to me it is this generations Star Wars.... and yes,I say that as someone who lived,breathed and ate Star Wars as a kid! :smashin:

Well I absolutely loathed "Titanic" (dreadful acting, dreadful dialogue, ridiculous "old woman hides valuable trophy away for years then chucks it away in the sea" plotline etc etc) so I was one of those with little interest in "Avatar". But I went to the 3D 20 minute preview at the IMAX and was blown away by it. Saw the whole film at the IMAX and felt it should have won the oscar that year because I felt people would be talking about it as "groundbreaking 3D" years from now.

All that being said, in 2D at home I'm not impressed beyond the technical skills on display. It's creaky as hell - all that Unobtanium nonsense and the way each character gives a long exposition on screen introducing themselves and their motivation within seconds of appearing. Just really awful dialog and writing.

Looking forward to this release as a 3D showcase for my new 3D TV, and stand by my initial comments that it's a gamechanger and a minor technical masterpiece, but think that overall it's a pretty third rate film because of the cliched story and thin plot that has been done countless times before and dreadful dialogue. Can't say I have any real interest in seeing 2 more films unless some new writer comes in to do something interesting with the background material that's been set up.

Then again, I hated Star Wars for the same reasons back in the 70s (and still find watching any of them hard work), so I'm probably not your "average moviegoer".

Storywise, Avatar is average-to-good blockbuster fare. It's an absolute masterpiece compared to Prometheus however.

I'll still be buying both when released in 3D. :D

I watched the collectors edition last night 2D for the first time last night, loved it, I'd forgot how good his looks on bluray, if/when I make the jump to 3D I'd want that version.

Hi :hiya:
Just seen AVATAR 3D listed for preorder at the usual outlets for £17.99 :smashin:

Its a triple play release :( pity they didn't just give you the option to buy just the 3D Version as most folk will already have the extended Blu-Ray Version

This will be a triple dip for me, will have umpteen extra discs on me shelf
BigCam

Last edited:
Its a triple play release :( pity they didn't just give you the option to buy just the 3D Version as most folk will already have the extended Blu-Ray Version

Its the theatrical release, so keep your extended copy :)

Is £17.99 still the best price for this?

Hi :hiya:
I'm amazed at how most online sites are underplaying this release :confused:
I just expected when visiting their Home pages that this would surely be on a Hot Preorder listing but you have to browse through the likes of Prometheus and Avengers Assemble to find it

Heck, we've only been waiting for almost 3 years for it
Go figure
BigCam

Hi,

I'm amazed at how most online sites are underplaying this release :confused:

Whilst it will sell well, seeing as it's pretty much the only 3D Blu-ray most people actually want to own, the simple fact is 3D Blu-rays do not sell that many - we're talking in the few hundreds, per film.

Most UK people simply don't own a 3D Blu-Ray player, nor a 3D TV, so this is why 3D films don't do so well over here.

And to be honest, who on here thinks that watching AVATAR in 3D at home, is going to match watching the film in 3D at a cinema?! It can't compare, can it?! :confused:

Pooch

To be honest, I find watching 3D at home more comfortable with less contrast/crosstalk issues.
I can't emulate the audio side 5.1 HD is still great, but that is when the cinema works better for me.
Still love the cinema, just not for 3D.

Hi,

Whilst it will sell well, seeing as it's pretty much the only 3D Blu-ray most people actually want to own, the simple fact is 3D Blu-rays do not sell that many - we're talking in the few hundreds, per film.

Most UK people simply don't own a 3D Blu-Ray player, nor a 3D TV, so this is why 3D films don't do so well over here.

And to be honest, who on here thinks that watching AVATAR in 3D at home, is going to match watching the film in 3D at a cinema?! It can't compare, can it?! :confused:

Pooch

I'd say 3D is doing really well so far,and will continue to do so.I also think most 3D TV owners will want to own more films than just Avatar,I know I do.

And I'd say I actually prefer 3D at home,5.1 sounds real good too @ home.3D gaming I also love so that gives my set additional 3D mode-usage. :smashin:

I've yet to see anything (home or away) that matched that shot in Avatar when Jake emerges from his cryo pod; it was absolutely jaw-dropping in IMAX. But the home version gives it a bloody good go, and 3D aside the PQ is astonishingly good.

I've yet to see anything (home or away) that matched that shot in Avatar when Jake emerges from his cryo pod; it was absolutely jaw-dropping in IMAX. But the home version gives it a bloody good go, and 3D aside the PQ is astonishingly good.

Agreed,Avatar is a stunner .Transformers 3also has Jaw-droppers galore.Love 3D :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom