1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avalon

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mr.D, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Got the region1 of this the other day.

Its directed by Mamoru Oshii ( ghost in the shell) but it was shot in Poland and all the dialogue is Polish.

Plot concerns an illegal virtual reality game "Avalon" and the comings and goings of a high level player "Ash" both in and outside the game.

I've got to say this is an odd film. Its paced very much like your average anime (ie long pointless shots of someone as they boil potatoes). Whilst this works for some anime ( GITS for example) as you get a chance to linger over the artwork it feel very unweildy and annoying for a live action film.

The plot is your usual done to death cyberpunk machinations on the nature of reality and perception.

I tried really hard to like this film : I've wanted to see it for a while and it does have its moments but mostly its like watching paint dry. Most of the stylistic techniques used in this film are about papering over the cracks in the budget rather than actually trying to have some deliberate purpose.

The lead actress ( pretty cute) just looks bewildered , the story seems inconsequential and the visual "in game" look facile and naff.

There is also a very odd occurence of the subtitles relating the inner monologue of the main character without there actually being any audible dialogue ( so you actually need the subtitles to on to catch this even if speak Polish!)

Weird is a bad way , very cheap in a bad way and generally like watching paint dry ...in a bad way

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    As bad as Crying Freeman??

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Can't say as I've had the pleasure.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A very different kettle of fish to Crying Freeman, Avalon (as Mr. D says) has fairly arty (in the worst sense of the word) pretentions while Crying Freeman was early 90s bilge, very cheap and nasty.

Although Crying Freeman couldn't help but improve on the awful Anime series it came from and I never turn down an opportunity to watch Marc Dacascos kick ass.

5. jdanielp

jdanielp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Avalon is a fantastic film! brilliant atmosphere, soundtrack and intriguing plot! i have the Korean 2 Disk S.E. with DTS ES! awesome... :smashin: