1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Availibilty of DVD-Ram media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dude1971, Nov 24, 2003.

1. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received this email regarding the 9.4gb DVD-Ram disks, any ideas why they are not going to be available anytime soon?

----------------------------------------------------------

"Dear eShopper,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding DVD RAM.
    Unfortunately these products are not going to be available in the near future, however we have just received a limited stock of the LMRF120E (4.7GB DVD-R Blank Disc) which is currently sold by the unit at a reduced price of £2.29 each. Click here if you wish to purchase this product
    http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/products.asp?c=dvr

Kind regards,

Your Panasonic eShop Team"

2. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I too cannot understand the lack of availability of this media (4.7GB also). SVP stopped selling 4.7GB Mirror RAM some time ago but the Mirror website was still advertising that they make them still?
    Anyway, was in Japan a few weeks back and decided to visit the electrical stores in Akihabara to see how things were in the land of DVD-RAM. Basically most stores that stocked blank media always had DVD-RW. The next most common was DVD-RAM and then a small few stocked DVD+RW as you would expect.
    4.7GB DVD-RAM was readily available in Panasonic, TDK and Verbatim format but at similar prices to here in UK. 9.4GB was being pushed by all stores as the one to buy with very close to 4.7GB pricing?
    Anyway, the only cheap supplier of 4.7GB was a company from Taiwan called RW I think . Bought a couple to try at £2 each. Seem to be fine so far after a few recordings.
    So DVD-RAM still available elsewhere easily but not here in UK for some reason?

3. wilby

wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude,

I know what you mean. Do panasonic want us to buy their machines. -RW & +RW media is readily available and cheap but RAM disks are harder to find on the high street than rocking horse doo.

I had the same messageas you, then a few weeks later I got this,

4.7GB DVD-RAM Blank Disc x3 LMAF120E3

We are pleased to inform you that this item is now in stock and
    available for on-line purchase. If you would like to order this
    item please click here http://www.panasonic.co.uk

Panasonic On-Line Ordering Service.

Which was sent to me at 16:49. By this time I'd gone home. Logged on the following day (at 8am) only to find they were out of stock again !!! Argh!

Look what we should be getting

http://panasonic.jp/media/dvd-ram.html

Roughly the same prices as the UK, coloured too!!

W

4. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It does seem incredible that Panasonic are struggling to supply DVD-Ram discs. I've had some on order for weeks and have been told to expect delivery by the second week of December.
    They are much more flelible than the -R discs which cannot be edited or overwritten.
    How on earth do they expect to sell their recorders when the discs are not available?
    It really is a poor show.

5. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that DVD-Ram is more flexible, that's why I bought the e60!

I had to buy my DVD-Ram from elsewhere, it was Maxell so at least it was a 'name' brand.

Even -r media isn't that widely available. Richer Sounds had far more +rw, only one brand of -r, and they had no DVD-Ram at all, which considering they sell the e50 and e60 is a bit daft.

Regards

Dude

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    SVP are now selling both single and double sided RAM discs made by "Datawrite". £4-69 single and £5-89 double. I havent tried them yet as i have plenty of the Mirror discs. I would be interested to see how they fair though.