1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Availibility of cards for Panasonic TH42PWD6BX

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Roger Etchells, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Roger Etchells

Roger Etchells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Seriously considering Panasonic TH42PWD6BX from Richer Sounds £1,099, but they (Leeds branch) tell me it is very difficult to get cards for it. I want to connect a DVD player with DVI (probably Cambridge Audio DVD79) and FreeView box (Hitachi HDB60), so THINK I need

a) Scart card
    b) DVI card

3 questions

1. Am I right I need the 2 cards above?
    2. How easy is it to get the cards?
    3. Do I need Panasonic cardsx or are there other manufacturers that are worth considering?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers

Roger

2. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You will receive many differing opinions on the cards you need and how to connect everything up. My advice is to listen to the 'veterans' and 'retailers' on these forums as they have the experience.You can connect in the way you want and will be more than happy with the results.
    Perhaps you should buy from AV sales as they have the boards and will usually do a deal, although not sure if they still have the 6 available but the 7 series would be just fine.
    The boards are ridiculously expensive in the UK. If you have any contacts in the US then get them there. Example 'component' boards $110 US DVI boards $145. Try getting them for those prices in £'s here...perhaps only as a bundle with your screen if you are lucky.
    Your choice of screen is spot on though. :)

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I have been trying to get hold of a DVI board for the last month, when I did finally source one - it got lost in the post :( Some suppliers are promising availability next week, we shall see if that pans out.... :lease:

I have my freeview box connected via scart and the quality is good, many people on here say JS Tech converter Scart to VGA is better, but not tried it yet.

lisa
    :)

4. Roger Etchells

Roger Etchells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kind of stepping away from the original post, but what should I be looking for from a Freeview box, & any recommendations.

Bl**dy sick of ntl cable - my 25 year old aerial feeds an LG £130 "combinded DVD/Freeview/amp in a box" and it gives a far better picture than ntl.

5. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I'm the same Roger - NTL cable is dreadful, FV is spot on! Pig sick about the price drop though - I only bought a month ago! Is that £1,099 price dependent on you taking out the warranty though?

Not pig sick about the screen - I love it! My only minor niggle is a touch of 'solarisation' (if that is the term) - where large areas of a single colour seem to have bands - but I think this may be due to the compression of the digital signal as I can't say I noticed it when watching analogue terrestrial aerial. I don't suppose there's a solution any of you Panny owners?

If it's any use Roger, I have my FV and cable fed into my Panasonic E55 and then to the screen by a simple £25 component>VGA lead straight into the port on the plasma - no other cards needed!

6. Roger Etchells

Roger Etchells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brooktop

I will be taking extended warranty anyway, so that's not a concern. Main concern is their reluctance to sell me the damned thing as "we don't think we can get cards". That's helpful, selling a screen that I can't connect anything to! AVsales don't have PW6 any more. they offered PW7 + scart input card + component input cards + stand = £1816. Good deal?

Sorry to ask a really dumb q but does the Panasonic &/or amp have to be switched on for the Freeview to work in your set up Brooktop? I didn't put this in the original message, but I am fed up with telling my wife how to get the DVD/amp/current 48" Sony rear projection TV to work TOGETHER (been telling her for 5 years now). So, I want them (her & kids) to be able to watch TV with just screen & freeview box on (that's complicated enough - 2 remote controls).

Cheers

R

7. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes for my set up - but you could also get some cheap speakers and attach them to the PW6 for normal viewing; I have a home cinema set up and now my g/f realises she has to switch on plasma screen, DVD recorder, amp and (either) analogue cable or FV box. Although it's actually easier now...the sound always matches the picture and she only has to remember to scroll through the input select button on the DVDR when she wants to change from FV to cable.

I also walked out of RS because their uneducated staff told me that I couldn't connect my system to the PW6 without a £200 Daewoo media box. Thanks to the peeps on this forum I went back and bought the PW6 and went to keane electronics for a £25 lead...bingo...job done! But that's only because I have an E55 doing the job...so it may not suit your set up.

Without the advice of this forum, I would have gone off and bought the LG42PX11, costing me more for an arguably inferior picture.

Hornydragon and Stevelup were particularly helpful to me - I am in awe of their AV knowledge! Would take any advice you get from the staff at RS with a pinch of salt...but their prices are keen, you have a 14 day exchange and a local shop to go and make yourself a nuisance at if things aren't right!

8. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Was wondering about some of the questions myself. Back to the first question that concerns the arcam dv79. I am also thinking of getting this to run component in on my series 6 screen but I wonder if this dvd player will work through a dvi board. The reviews seem to think it is really good through component anyway so I don't think that will effect weather I get it or not as I may get a projector at some time so can connect high def to that.

By the way the panny boards seem to be available now. I have just recieved a component board from day3 limited.
    http://www.day3.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/162_163_316

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Thanks for the tip - I think I have just bagged the last DVI board, excellent customer services they just phoned to confirm that it will be despatched today :clap:

10. Roger Etchells

Roger Etchells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, that was mine Lisa!

11. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The Arcam DV79 does support DVI standard through its HDMI output (you'll need an HDMI/DVI adaptor at the player or display end) - this then runs in progressive RGB. Of course its analogue component output is top class too so you can connect that way also with excellent results. This unit has nothing to do with the Cambridge DVD79 by the way.

John Dawson (Arcam)

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    :oops:

13. Roger Etchells

Roger Etchells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lisa

If only you meant it!! Should have sat on my PC some more rather than this stupid "work" my employer expects me to do whilst doing the far more important stuff like this.

Q for all

What product refs. do I need for cards to go in Panasonic TH42PWD6BX for scart input (for the freeview) and for a DVD video image (happy to buy a DVI compliant DVD). Expecting there to be two different cards - suspect

DVI for DVD, ref. = TY42TM6DB
    Scart card for freeview, ref. = TY42TM6TB

Cheers

Roer

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    if you have a PWD6, forget the input boards

either get a JS (SCART) to VGA box, and plug into the VGA input of the PW6
    or buy a e55 dvd recorder and plug that into the PW6 VGA socket.
    The picture will be better that the terminal boards will supply.

(the e55 will upconvert any RGB into YUV and loop it into the VGA input)

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    :smashin: Funny! me too! I cheated today, I had the day off!
    All the boards and ref numbers are listed on that site here;

http://www.day3.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/162_163_316

Altough not necessarily in stock :rolleyes:

16. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Those prices are very good for the UK

17. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Glad day3 worked out. They were really efficient and prompt with me too. Yes I did make a mistake I was talking about the arcam. strange they have the same number (a&r cambridge) Gonna go listen to the arcam this week. I say listen as I want to use it replace my arcam alpha 6 cd player as well. I have heard the pic is good but sound is the most important thing to me.

18. Roger Etchells

Roger Etchells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the stupid questions, but what cards should I be getting.

Want to feed a freeview box in, and willl probably use SCART, unless advised by you guys otherwise. Therefore think I need TY42TM6TB 21-pin RGB SCART Video Card. However, Richer Sounds gave me the following ref - TY42TM6TC. Which is right?

Also want to play DVD. I have a Pioneer 908amp (5 years old) which is fine, so aim to run video to screen, audio to amp. Therefore think I need either

a) DVi card (TY42TMD4 according to RS, TY42TM6DB DVI-D (RGB Digital) Video Card in day 3 store). Alternatively,

b) RS suggested component card TY42TM62, Day3 Store has TY42TM6AB BNC Component Video Card, or TY42TM6BB BNC Composite/S-Video Card.

So, which cards, & which refs please???

Will be buying as soon as I get your input.

Cheers

Roger

19. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if your dvd has component out then you can buy a cable phono to vga cable which you can use without buying any cards. The bnc card is component in the other one is svidio and composite which I don't think you need. Not sure about the dvi cards so take a look at other threads about these. I am waiting to see what happens with these.