Available options to make a dumb TV smart, with TV control remote?

JDXAV

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a TV (HD) with a very old fire TV stick plugged in and I think the stick needs replacing.
We use Netflix, Amazon prime and Disney+ and for me, the device remote must be able to control the TV power/volume, it's a big plus that the fire remote is the only one I need.

Obviously there are newer Fire sticks. I'm aware the higher end Roku devices include TV control... It sends to be a premium feature. What else is there in this space and what are the pros and cons?
The one I've noticed before is that casting and discovery of other devices on your network is a real crapshoot... I run an Android phone and this does not allow casting to the Fire stick (except a few apps like YouTube)

As far as I know you can get a better remote & pair it with the bog standard Roku & it will function.
I've done it.
The remotes are cross compatible, you can take the highest end Voice Remote Pro & pair it to the cheapest Roku device & it will do all the functions:

1668207992405.png

As far as I know you can get a better remote & pair it with the bog standard Roku & it will function.
I've done it.
The remotes are cross compatible, you can take the highest end Voice Remote Pro & pair it to the cheapest Roku device & it will do all the functions:

View attachment 1780848
That's an interesting point, but the time you buy the basic device and an additional remote do you save much? On fire stick it seems like an extra tenner to get the better remote though I do recall Roku being more pricey, so maybe. But is Roku any better?

I have a TV (HD) with a very old fire TV stick plugged in and I think the stick needs replacing.
We use Netflix, Amazon prime and Disney+ and for me, the device remote must be able to control the TV power/volume, it's a big plus that the fire remote is the only one I need.

Obviously there are newer Fire sticks. I'm aware the higher end Roku devices include TV control... It sends to be a premium feature. What else is there in this space and what are the pros and cons?
The one I've noticed before is that casting and discovery of other devices on your network is a real crapshoot... I run an Android phone and this does not allow casting to the Fire stick (except a few apps like YouTube)
Apple TV offers the apps and TV control you want. No idea whether you can cast anything to it from your Android phone though (maybe YouTube?) as it uses Apple's AirPlay protocol.

Apple TV will definitely not accept casting from an Android, but Chromecast will.

I have Samsung A50 Android phone, Roku stick supports casting from my phone.

I have Samsung A50 Android phone, Roku stick supports casting from my phone.
Which way can you cast? Does it show up as a target when you're using apps and hit their cast button, or just screen mirroring?

Apple TV will definitely not accept casting from an Android, but Chromecast will.
I hadn't considered Chromecast but it might make sense as an Android user... Our main TV& DVR are both Android too.
Do Chromecast remotes definitely do TV control?

With black Friday coming this seems an ideal time

Not all Roku & Android devices are compatible for mirroring, in my experience. Roku themselves have posted an article about it:

My Android with OS 13 will NOT mirror to my Roku-Ultra (top shelf device), nor to a Roku stick model 3820R.
The Chromecast with Google TV will mirror any Android as far as I know & the remote can also control the TV.

I'm not interested in actual screen mirroring only casting...
Though people might use the terms interchangeably sometimes?

Which way can you cast? Does it show up as a target when you're using apps and hit their cast button, or just screen mirroring?
Hi mate, On my Samsung smart phone (Android 11) I just pull down the menu (twice) from the top of the screen and tap the "Smart View" icon, the Roku shows up there as long as they are both on the same network, when selecting Roku from smartview the TV mirrors whatever is on the phone, so what you see on the phone you see on the TV including the home screen, pictures and video's from the Gallery, it works every time with no messing around, I actually love this feature on the Roku.
I am only using the Roku Express so I can't comment on other models but I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for other models. You don't need a Samsung TV, I have a Panasonic.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom