Available Channels not shown in EPG

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Phazers, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Phazers

Phazers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Philips DTT DVDR HDD machine. When using the EPG (Philips products use their own not the standard Freeview one :rolleyes: ) some channels are missing in the grid. E.g. ITV+1 Film4+1 and a couple of others.

I can find these channels by skipping through the channels with +/- or by entering the channel number manually.

Are these channels displayed in other Freeview EPG on other set top boxes?

It's a bit annoying as you cannot see what is shown on that channel.

Thanks

2. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    My "cheapie" Goodman Freeview HD recorder certainly displays all available channels, inc the "+1" channels. It seems odd if you can receive these channels, but they are missing from the EPG. If you haven't tried it already, a re-installation might do the trick.

3. Phazers

Phazers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've tried a complete setup with the same results. I agree a bit strange. Only happened on the channels when I skipped through the channels manually.

Another question - with Freeview boxes do you need to enter your postcode for the setup? The Philips one does and I wonder if it "knows" what channels it should be receiving for the EPG but in fact it receives more?

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I had a Panasonic that gave the option of putting in your Postcode. It had nothing to do with selecting channels. It was simply an identification device if the box was stolen ! There was no link to anything else. The postcode would be locked by the new 'owner' not having the passcode to change it. I have a Philips DTR200/05 but I cannot recall having to put the postcode into that. My Philips box EPGs all channels including the + ones.

5. Phazers

Phazers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mike,

I've looked at the manual for your DTR200/05 and the EPG is different to mine. Mine has "Guide Plus+" system!

From my manual
    "Your recorder is equipped with the GUIDE Plus+ system. This system offers a free interactive programme guide that lists all the TV programmes available in
    your area. Before you can enjoy this feature, you have to define your geographic location and your current setup devices in order to receive correct GUIDE Plus+ TV listings data."

Part of this setup involves entering a postcode (not for security)

Again from my manual
    "The postal code you enter must be correct, and must represent a postal code in the identified country. If not, you will receive no or incorrect TV listings data."

I'll see what else I can find....

Edit:

I found the Guide Plus+ website and according to their list ITV+1 Film4+1 etc are not included in the EPG list.

Edit2:

From the Guide Plus+ website
    "If the channels that you are looking for are not listed in the Editor area then they are currently not supported in the GUIDE Plus+ system. The channels listed for each reception type (cable, satellite, terrestial, etc.) in the GUIDE Plus+ system have been selected according to their popularity and national availability. However, we are always reviewing customer needs and we constantly review and upgrade our channel lineups to meet these needs."

There's my answer.

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    That's very interesting. I'll have another look at my units set-up proceedure although I would expect your s is a more recent model. When I first used my set-top box it was rubbish. It crashed daily then it obviously received a software update and has been faultless ever since. I must admit to being a bit sceptical about anything that comes from the Philips camp.

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    A quick re-settup on my unit confirms it has nothing like the Guide plus EPG, although it does pull in all the local channels and 'EPG' them.

The Guide + system from Gemstar has been around for a while and is used by a number of manufacturers. It appears that the 'Radio Times' supplies the data for the UK. From what you say this is probably not inclusive of all UK tv. After all the '+' channels are fairly recent changes. If the system is able to identify Post Codes and link them to programmes in the area you live it makes a big assumption. There are parts of the country where a tv/STB might be receiving transmissions from another area. The two bits of information might not add up. For example there are parts of East Anglia where Freeview signals from BBC North are picked up rather than BBC East. Perhaps the Guide plus system is 'confused' in some way. Since your manual talks about Satellite and Cable tv as well I would suspect Guide + is a text searching system. As a your unit is only capable of decoding DTT material this is irrelevent. As far as I know Sky and Virgin have their own EPG systems which will probably not be compatible with Guide plus. It would appear that the system has a few flaws and is dependant on the programme information being correct.

Thanks for introducing me to something I previously knew little about. Guide Plus does not seem to have been universally accepted by all manufacturers, Humax etc have developed systems of their own which may not be able to search so comprehensively.

8. Phazers

Phazers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Me too. However a 160GB HDD DVDR with Freeview for £160 (New!) was just too good an offer to pass up. Probably would have prefered a comparable Panasonic but they were twice the price. I can live with no '+' channels in the EPG. Maybe they'll be along soon.

And you're correct about Radio Times as you get their advert on the left side of the EPG.