1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Availability of silver Panasonic TH-42PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zedzed, Jul 20, 2004.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I'm trying to convince the Mrs. that we need a plasma.

I've shown her pics of the silver TH-42PW6 plasma - and she really likes it - so I might be on to a winner! :thumbsup:

A question though. I've read on other posts that Panasonic may stop making the silver "non-consumer" plasmas (I guess since it might stop people buying the more expensive consumer version!)

Are there any truth in these rumours? Should I buy now and put it on my credit card - or can I wait a few months till I have the cash and buy then?

Basically - I don't want to miss out on this one - since the Mrs. doesn't like the black plasmas as much - so it makes making the purchase more painful! :nono:

Cheers,

ZedZed

p.s. Yes - I'm probably too "under the thumb" for my own good! :suicide:

2. Aunty Mary

Aunty Mary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought one from av sales mate (excellent service btw) and the guy asked me why i didnt get a black one and save money.
    he said if i was gonna buy the 50" he would advise a black one,Apparently they have someone who will respray the bezel for you for a couple of hundred quid

also a noob round here myself but using the opinions here helped me choose my screen and i have to say im well impressed with it,so get the wife back to the kitchen sink and treat yourself :)

3. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I might be being a bit dumb here but the silver panel is the "consumer" panel and always costs more than the "commercial" black one.

Am i right?

Cliff

5. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well ... I don't think either the black or silver PW6 are "consumer" - as they don't come with speakers/standard conenctions etc. - and require extra boards to be installed for extra connections.

But you're right - the silver one does seem to cost a little more than the black one - even though they are the same screen in a different box!

Anyway - back on topic - does anyone know if the silvers will "run out" soon?

Cheers,

ZedZed

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't worry about it. If you want a silver one, and they stop making them, there's a firm who are panasonic authorised to paint them any colour you like. Remember Paula Yate's zebra striped one on the Big Breakfast? Hideous, yes, well finished, certainly.

7. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The "consumer" panel as you call it, is the PE30 range with the built in tuner and numerous sockets and it is basically "black" with hidden speakers and it replaces the PE20 which was basically black with visible silver speakers down each side. Some places still have the PE20 sets on special offer and yes they are being phased out. The PE20 has a built in analog tuner and the PE30 a freeview digital tuner but other than that they have the same display.

Most people do not call these "panels" they are Plasma TV's. A "panel" is a panel, a screen and nothing else bar a socket and some expansion ports.

The original question mentioned PW6B which is a "panel" not a TV.

Personally getting a brand new PE30 spray painted sounds horrendous.

My understanding is that the panel (with the black surround ie. PW6B) is supplied by the Commercial Division of Panasonic UK (you will not find that panel on the Panasonic.co.uk site) and the "silver" (PWD6) is supplied by Panasonic's domestic division.

Whether the new PWD7 from the Viera range will have a simple silver "frame" remains to be seen. My guess is they will look like the PE30. A guy in the local TV shop said that silver is being replaced by black on many TV's (looks like we have cycled round from silver to black again). The new Sony TV's have silver speakers but the screen is set within a black surround.

Cliff

8. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    This link shows what Panasonic have in the pipeline

New Panasonic Range

Ha, the forum has stripped the URL, I'm sure you can guess what **** should be....

All these are from the Viera range and are plasma TV's with tuners etc. They all use the new V7 (more colours) panel.

On the av-sales website they are taking orders for V7 panels and from the models numbers they are using (PW7B - normally black and PWD7 - normally silver) it seems black and silver versions will exist in the future.

Cliff

9. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the info cliff - appreciated.

I'll make sure I use "panel" from now on too - ta for keeping a newbie right :)

Quick check on the avsales website (and panasonics) and it seems they have the models the other way round - the PWD6 is black and the PW6B is silver. But anyways ....

As an aside - do you think it would be worth waiting and getting a series 7 screen? Does anyone know what the main differences are?

ZedZed

10. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    oops, yes I have the model numbers the wrong way around :blush:

I have decided the V7 is worth the wait. I'm not sure whether to buy the TV version (the link I provided in previous message shows all these) and make life easier for myself or buy the panel. They say that "enthusiasts" buy the panel for flexibility because they can add extra connection types like DVI etc but if all you want is PAL Progressive Component, RGB and S_Video then I think the TV's are OK. One thing everyone is keen to know is about connection of High Def material. I'm on thin ice here (limit of what I know) but having true 720p connections is a good thing (I think)

The main thing is the new display technology with 3x the number of colour shades. I think this beats all other panels including Pioneer. I quote

The new VIERA TH-PX300 plasmas are available in three screen sizes (50-inch diagonal screen measurement, 42-inch and 37-inch), all featuring the new PEAKS (Picture Enhancement Accelerator with Kinetic System) processor that enables rendering of 3.62 billion colors. This technology is unrivaled in the world providing 2,048 steps of gradation to deliver greater image depth. The current high-end VIERA models offer 1.07 billion colors and 1,536 steps of gradation. Panasonic's proprietary PEAKS technology has elevated the flat-panel picture quality to new standards

This should mean there is less of that "oil painting" (I call it) effect when you get sunsets fading in and out and maybe better contrast in dark scenes so horror movies don't just "go black" and stop you seeing the details.

So, I still have until the end of the year (according to av-sales) to save up and it looks like there will be a silver panel. Perhaps I will have saved enough for the High Def panel (1024x768) which could be better for High Def material when SKY start transmitting it in 2006. The new PX300 TV range has apparently been on sales in Japan for about a month so we know they are working! Would like to find a review of one.

Cliff

11. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yup - I'd like to find a review of one too - to see if it's worth the wait.
    You mention "true 720p" - but it looks like the resolution of the 7 series is the same as the 6 - (840x560 or something) so I didn't think that the 7 series SD panels would offer anything extra (in terms of 720p) than the 6 series? (skating on very thin ice here!?!)

The reason for me going for the panel is a space/cost thing. The 42" panel is 102cm long - with the 42" TV being 15 cms longer! In fact, I think the 37" TV is actually longer than the 42" panel as well! I don't have a huge lounge - so for me it's better to have something that doesn't look like it dominates the room as much! Plus - I have surround sound etc. already - so paying for speakers on a plasma is a bit of a waste .....

If you find any reviews of the 7 series - let me know :)

Cheers,

ZedZed

12. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Seems you are going through the same thought process as me. I don't need the speakers but I also don't want to have to turn on my Hi-Fi and monster sized surround amp just to watch the news.

The PE30 (TV plasma) range seems to have the best of both, it is no bigger than a panel (the speakers are hidden round the back somehow) but has the ability to make noise should you want it to.

You are right the new V7 is the same resolution as the V6. Designed especially for the USA NTSC standards and sold here at twice the price. Nice. Couldn't they do us a native PAL version with 525 lines I wonder.

I might take the plunge for the High-Def V7 (the 1024x768) version which is about £1k more expensive but could be worth the extra if it has a longer life span (by that I mean it will not be outdated so quickly). They don't do a TV version of that only a panel.

Cliff