1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Availability Of Replacement Bulbs In The Future

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peopleIknow, Jul 5, 2002.

1. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I own a Sanyo PLV-30 Projector, now 18 months old. On average I watch 3 DVD's per week, which equals 6 hours use per week (on average) for the projector. The claimed life span of the bulb is 2000 hours, so I have approximately 5 years of viewing left before the bulb needs replacing.

However 5 years is a long time in the life of Home Cinema Equipment which is normally discontinued within 6-12 months of launch.

So, should I wait and hope that bulbs for my machine will still be available in 5 years time, or should I buy a spare now ?

Anybody know how long manufactures make theses types of spare available for ?

2. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also own a PLV-30 and reciently asked a very good dealer the exact same question. Their answer was, no way will the lamp still be available in five to ten years time. Most manufacturers would have expected you to upgrade in that time.Technology would have also moved forward making the new lamps much cheaper. This would in turn reduce production of the older lamp making it more expensive. I am saving my £400 now to get a replacement lamp that can sit in its box until the day it is needed.
    Mark