AV9 zone 2 esoterica

tvh3ad

Novice Member
In case anyone's curious, I've made some progress with the weirdo problem I had with my AV9 trying to control zone 2. Per the manual / my dealer / Arcam support, I did the following:

- Installed an approved xantech remote IR receiver to the AV9 zone 2 remote-in jack
- Switched the AV9 zone 2 remote IR codeset to code 19
- Programmed the CR-80 remote's AUX device to code 1213

This setup is supposed to allow you to control zone 2 from the remote via the AUX button. However, I couldn't get the AV9 to respond. It took a home visit from the dealer's tech guy to discover that my remote's AUX/1213 codeset was misprogrammed. Even more entertainingly, his remote's codeset was *also* misprogrammed...but differently so. In other words, both remotes had some zone 2 features programmed correctly and some missing.

I was able to teach my remote some of the key missing features from his remote (notably power on/off and volume up/down) and I'm more or less up and running, but there are still some missing features -- menu access, mute, etc.

This is the first glitch of any kind I've had with the FMJ stuff, so I'm glad it's just remote IR silliness and not the unit.

71Cuda4406

Standard Member
I have a couple of questions about your setup that might help me, as I just got an AVR-300 (which I assume is similar to your AV9 for Zone 2 issues) and I'm trying to get my Zone 2 control up and running (the manual is not very helpful).

So far, I have audio working in Zone 2, when controlled by the front panel. But I'm having trouble getting the remote IR to work.

I do not want to use the recommended Xantech 291-10 receiver, as I had my house pre-wired with cat5e cable to a J-box. Thus, I'd like to use a J-box IR receiver in Zone 2. I currently have a Channel Vision and a couple of Jobsite J-box IR receivers, and I have a Xantech 780-10 J-box receiver on it's way (I'm also setting up other zones in the house). Based on the fact that the recommended 291-10 has a stereo (i.e. 3-wire) 3.5 mm lead (as I've seen online) and the Arcam manual gives the 3-wire wiring scheme (tip, ring, sleeve), I assumed that I could wire either of the receivers I have according to that convention and plug it directly into the Arcam's Zone 2 IR input. I've tried that, but it doesn't work.

My question is this... Do I need to run the IR receiver through a powered connecting block before running it into the Arcam? I've seen one other post that indicates a mono 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm lead is used from a Xantech connecting block into the Arcam's Zone 2 IR in, but this is contrary to what the manual seems to indicate.

Which "approved xantech remote IR receiver" are you using, and can you tell me exactly how you have it wired to your Arcam?

Thanks.

tvh3ad

Novice Member
Arcam requires a 3-wire lead because they provide power to the IR receiver from the processor...so, no, you most definitely do not need to supply power to the receiver separately.

I'm using the Xantech 480-80 CFL Friendly "Dinky Link" but I bet that any RC-5 IR receiver would work as long as you wire it up correctly per the manual. If I'm remembering correctly, it's tip - signal, ring - 12V, sleeve - gnd.

HTH.

71Cuda4406

Standard Member
That's what I thought, but I just couldn't get it to work. I used a digital multimeter to do a continutity check from each of the three areas of the plug (tip, ring, sleeve) to find the correct wires. I then connected these to the Channel Vision and then to a Jobsite receiver using the Arcam provided wiring standard, but I still get nothing. BTW, you have the ring and sleeve reversed in your reply - it's tip-signal, ring-gnd, sleeve-12V. I'll try the Xantech 780-10 when it arrives, but I don't see why the others wouldn't work either if I have them wired properly.

Another thing that seemed wrong to me was that I am only getting 1.2 Volts out of the back of the Arcam. The IR receivers are supposed to be fed 12 volts, I thought. So that added to my thinking that external power was needed. Have you ever measured the voltage from the Arcam IR ports, and if so, what do you get?

Any other ideas of what I might be missing?

Thanks again for your response.

tvh3ad

Novice Member
71Cuda4406 said:
That's what I thought, but I just couldn't get it to work. I used a digital multimeter to do a continutity check from each of the three areas of the plug (tip, ring, sleeve) to find the correct wires.
I did the same thing with my IR receiver (which came with exposed leads, so I had to wire it to a stereo minijack).

71Cuda4406 said:
Another thing that seemed wrong to me was that I am only getting 1.2 Volts out of the back of the Arcam. The IR receivers are supposed to be fed 12 volts, I thought. So that added to my thinking that external power was needed. Have you ever measured the voltage from the Arcam IR ports, and if so, what do you get?
I am not using an external power source -- I have the IR receiver plugged directly into the processor and it works as expected.

I didn't actually measure the voltage but the voltage you noted is suspicious: 1.2*10 = 12. Is your meter scaling set up correctly?

71Cuda4406

Standard Member
I also thought the voltage was suspicious. In fact, the first time I checked it at the J-box receiver, I thought I read 12 volts. After several more times checking, I keep getting 1.2 volts. Now I'm thinking that I never did get 12, but that my mind translated 1.2 to 12 because that's what I was expecting. My meter does all scaling automatically, and I've never had a problem with it. I may try with a different meter anyway, though.

In the meantime, I've received confirmation from another member that he is using a powered connecting block and mono 3.5 mm leads into the back of his AVR350. He says he tried connecting the IR receiver directly, as I have, and it didn't work until he ran it through the powered connecting block. So I'm more confused now. If nobody else jumps in here with input, I'll start a thread on this to see what other people are doing and if anyone knows why you and someone else are achieving the same thing two totally different ways. And more importantly, what will work for me.

Thanks again.

tvh3ad

Novice Member
I can think of one significant difference right off the bat: I have an AV9. You and the person you mentioned have AVR units. Does your manual actually say that the unit supplies 12 volts through the IR jack or does it only reference the trigger? (although...why 1.2 volts? hmm...)

Perhaps a call to your dealer or an email to Arcam support would clear this up.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
The AVR250/300/350 and AVP700 do not have enough juice on their zone 2 IR jack to power a standalone Xantech IR receiver. I haven't actually yet found something that they can power! But since I just about always use Pronto I haven't needed to. To confirm - you do need the full kit of receiver and connector block to cable IR back to the AVR/AVP700 zone 2 IR input.

NonPayingMember

Also 71Cuda4406 has the wiring correct:

REMOTE IN (tip)
GROUND (middle)
POWER (base)

71Cuda4406

Standard Member
An update with mixed success....

When I got home last night, I tried one more time to get what I have to work. I simply unplugged and replugged the 3.5 mm plugs, checked the voltage at the IR receiver in Zone 2, and I had 12 VOLTS! I then grabbed my remote, and IT WORKED! Don't know what was wrong before, but now it worked - at least temporarily. I think it stopped at some point, until I unplugged and replugged the 3.5 mm lead again.

The reason I have some confusion about whether it stopped working on it's own? Well, I planned to control my audio source (e.g. CD Player) using the IR out from the back of the Arcam. I plugged an IR Blinking Emitter into the IR Out port and had someone watch it while I went to Zone 2 to operate the remote to ensure the Arcam was passing through the commands. Only now the IR Receiver in Zone 2 STOPPED WORKING! I unplugged, tested, replugged, tested, the IR Out jack several times and with it unplugged, the Zone 2 IR worked fine. With anything plugged into the IR Out port, Zone 2 IR didn't work at all.

I think that is part of the reason I was having trouble getting Zone 2 to work in the first place - for at least part of the time I had an emitter plugged into the IR Out port. Tonight I'll check the voltage with an emitter plugged in to see if it drops to 1.2V. But I'm pretty sure I didn't have it plugged in the whole time Zone 2 IR gave me 1.2V and didn't work.

So in summary, I now have Zone 2 IR control working with an IR reciever connected directly to the back of the Arcam (no connecting block), but it stops working once I plug something into the IR Out port on the Arcam.

Anyone have their Arcam working with Zone 2 IR connected directly and an IR emitter controlling a source via the IR Out port?

Any other ideas?

71Cuda4406

Standard Member
tvh3ad said:
I can think of one significant difference right off the bat: I have an AV9. You and the person you mentioned have AVR units. Does your manual actually say that the unit supplies 12 volts through the IR jack or does it only reference the trigger? (although...why 1.2 volts? hmm...)
Before writing in this thread I checked the AV9 manual online, and the section about zone 2 connections is exactly the same as in my manual for the AVR300. Neither of them are very thorough, but they are the same.

Liam @ Prog AV said:
The AVR250/300/350 and AVP700 do not have enough juice on their zone 2 IR jack to power a standalone Xantech IR receiver. I haven't actually yet found something that they can power! But since I just about always use Pronto I haven't needed to. To confirm - you do need the full kit of receiver and connector block to cable IR back to the AVR/AVP700 zone 2 IR input.
Mine does seem to have enough juice to power my J-box receivers (both the Channel Vision and Jobsite were tested and worked), at least part of the time (see my last post). Assuming you have had success running IR Receivers through a connecting block into the Zone 2 port,
1) Have you also successfully used the IR Out port on the same unit? and
2) Did you connect the connecting block to the Arcam with a Stereo or Mono 3.5 mm lead?

NonPayingMember

I've confused volts with milliamps (I know NOTHING about electrics except how to make the finished articles work!). But even still I remember being told somewhere there wasn't enough of whatever it is to run the receiver direct, perhaps it was in the context of something I've missed the point on! Hope I haven't confused anyone too much(!) - as I say I always use prontos or other programmable remotes / control systems. 3.5mm from IR extender direct into zone1 in with sys code 19 IR commands for zone2. Works flawlessly.