AV9 upgrade help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rizwoz, Jan 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rizwoz

rizwoz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've recently upgraded my A85 to a AV9/P7 (found a good ex-dem deal) and now left with source components that need upgrading. Due to space constraints I've narrowed down my choices to:

1) DV139 for CD and SD upscaling
    2) CD36 for CD and use my PS3 for upscaling

Does anyone have any experience of comparing PS3 vs DV139 for upscaling? How close are they? Is there much difference between DV139 and CD36 for CD playback? Will getting the CD36 give me the best compromise?

My priorities are now probably 50/50 music/dvd (SD).

Any comments much appreciated, thanks

2. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. rizwoz

rizwoz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got the impression that poster was comparing dv139 upscaling vs PS3 blu-ray, rather than PS3 upscaling SD. I'm also interested in peoples view CD36 vs DV139

4. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have both the 36 and the 139. If your main interest is audio, then I think the 36 is better enough to justify going in that direction, but you'll probably also read posts from others who have heard both and say that they either can't hear a difference or that the difference is negligible. I'd recommend a careful demo; if you can't hear a difference, there's probably not much reason to get the 36.

I actually planned to keep the 36 and sell the 139 earlier this week -- mainly because I don't use the 139's capabilities very often -- but last night after watching a movie using another player (not a PS3) I'm leaning towards keeping it.

HTH.

5. darron027

darron027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I was in a similar situation a few months back. Purchased the AV9+P7 and wanted to add a good source. All my equipment is listed below.
    I dont own a PS3 and cant comment on SD upscalling of this machine, but have seen it play a few blueray films at a friends and the PQ was excellent.

I demode the DV139 + CD36 (had on home loan). If I could have had both I would as thought both were EXCELLENT, but my main issue was that I only had the room for 1 more bit of arcam gear.

Thought the DV139 played DVD material brilliantly. Added to this I think its a fantastic CD player (plus SACD/DVD-A player). Which is great as a one box solution. In my demos the CD36 DID sound better to me as a CD player, but I couldnt honestly say it was night and day better than the DV139 in my system. Im sure though that with better/different speakers etc it could have sounded even better.

So I went for the DV139 as it was the best 'allrounder' for me..........I still would love to be able to add the 36 though.......Maybe one day.