AV9 Sound Conundrum

Ganymede

It may be the case that this is how the sound should be with the AV9...But I thought I would put this one out there anyway.

I have a 5.1 speaker set up and any dialogue through any of the AV9 audio modes (PLII etc) only comes out of the centre speaker. The right and left speakers are completely silent, except for sound effects coming through when in 5.1 but no dialogue.

The only way I can get dialogue from the left and right speakers is when they are in THX Stereo mode

My question is whether this is normal. It seems more normal to have maybe 70% of the dialogue coming from the centre and to have 30% coming from left and right speakers. This was how it used to be with my Onkyo amp.

Any thoughts much appreciated. :thumbsup:

t-roten

Novice Member
Missing a bit of information here. Are you playing DVDs/Blu-Rays and want to have dialogue in the left and right front speakers via 5.1?

If you are using a normal 5.1 soundtrack, there will be no dialogue from the fronts on most movies. All will come via centre. I have just tested this on my set up, and as long as my P35/3 is off there is no dialogue at all (this runs centre and surrounds).

I think you need to either set the centre to "not present". This wil give you dialogue in the fronts, but centre will be silent.

Hope this helps

TR

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Not only completely normal, but that's the way it's supposed to be. Dialogue comes from the centre as that's where the TV is.

Given a 5.1 source, the dialogue will come from the centre, except for occasional off-screen calls, as that's the way the film has been made.

When you ask the AV9 to simulate a 5.1 from a 2.0, it directs the dialogue to the centre, which is where it would also be (logically) coming from when played in stereo. If the stereo would have an off-stage call from the left or right. then this will of course remain on the left or right.

In the case of a mono broadcast, the only speaker that will issue anything is the centre speaker - the rest will be silent as that's exactly what the broadcast is logically sending.

This is nothing AV9-specific, but is an intrinsic property of the source material.

Last edited:

Ganymede

Thanks for the response guys. My Onkyo 606 did things very slightly differently so perhaps I hadn't set that up correctly.

It does sound a lot clearer through the centre channel rather than via stereo so this is clearly the way it should be.

Need to find a decent upgrade to the centre speaker now as I find the sound performance disappointing (personal taste I suspect as I like a leaner sound) when partnered with the Arcam stuff. Something I didn't find with the Onkyo which was 'thinner' in terms of sonic signature.

Last edited:

t-roten

Novice Member
I think you absolutely right when it comes to centre speaker. This should ideally be of an equal size and quality as the left and right front. I am currently doing a little bit of testing with different front speakers, such as PMC and Dynaudio. And I find that they sound great, but will require an upgrade of the center.

TR

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I think you absolutely right when it comes to centre speaker. This should ideally be of an equal size and quality as the left and right front. I am currently doing a little bit of testing with different front speakers, such as PMC and Dynaudio. And I find that they sound great, but will require an upgrade of the center.

TR
In an ideal world all three speakers at the front should be the same, but if you have L/R front floor-standers, getting one of those to work as a centre is quite a challenge! The trick is to use a centre front speaker that is 'voiced' the same way as the L/R front - at least, that works for me. That pretty much dictates using a centre speaker from the same manufacturer and range as the L/R front, in my experience.

Clem

IWC Dopplel

TR
I upgraded my center recently for that very reason ;)

Da Philster

Hi defo try to find a similar power output for the centre and of more importance match the aural signature of the front spkrs at least,(rears too if poss) as sounds panning across the front of the soundstage will be uneven instead of a seamless integration therfore bringing undue attention to the situation.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom