1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV9/P7/DV27A - First Thoughts

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by AndyCS, Sep 25, 2004.

1. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Well I've just taken the plunge and bought the AV8/P7 combo. I also picked up a DV27A at a very good price following the DV29 release.

I am really impressed with the sound which really brings the best out of my speakers, I really wanted to improve stereo performance and that seems to have been achieved.

I am however a little disappointed with the IR remote control performance, particularly with the DV27A, it seems to only work at fairly short range and in line with the IR receiver. Does anyone know a solution to this, external IR receiver perhaps, I see Xantech mentioned in the manual, is there a simpler (cheaper) solution?

many thanks

Andy

2. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have suffered with the same problem and we are not alone. This lets down a very good product.

I would also like to know if there is an easy fix for this such as an IR repeater, and if so, which one.

Thanks, Gerald. :mad:

3. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    buy a pronto! none of my arcam remotes work properly with the off axis line of sight i've got in my room, but pronto, with its huge IR transmitter, works fine!

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Or a Home Theater Master MX-500/MX-700. I use these remotes with a AVR300/DV88+ and have no issues with remote performance.

5. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a plan lads. I must say mind you that It is a bit rich buying a good british product like this and then having to part with more wedge to buy a better remote control.

Looking on the bright side though, the black CR80 issued with the AVR300 is a dead loss. Don't know what finish they are using but it's a bugger for finger marks.

Anyway, any chance of some prices and/or links for these remotes you mention.

Cheers, Gerald. :devil:

6. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Gerald check out www.remotecentral.com for all the info you need on the Pronto & MX500/700 :)

7. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have a ProntoPro and while it is better than the supplied remotes it still doesn't solve the problem.

I have ordered the Xantech kit to hopefully solve the problem, although I'm less than happy at having to spend more cash when you would expect top of the range kit to outperform kit costing less than a tenth of the price!!!!!!

8. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xantech 291-10 arrived today, its now installed and working perfectly. Problem solved, but at a cost

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone uses the Oneforall Cameleon, looks good, it is reasonably priced and displays the keys, easier to use, I guess... :rolleyes:

10. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy.

Good news re the Xantech, it can be a real pain when the remote does not work properly.

What was the cost, and where can one get the Xantech?

Cheers, Gerald. :clap:

11. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gerald,

I bought the Xantech 291-10 from Martek UK who are the UK distributers. They can be contacted on 01359 253555. The kit cost £87.66 including the power supply, VAT and carriage.

Another source is LetsAutomate, http://www.letsautomate.com/10067.c...=47d71ff-564c2ba4-74f6-4c72-b5b3-e7d2b311fa2b but I wasn't sure that these were exactly the correct part (cheaper though). Keene http://www.keene.co.uk/ do something similar also but again I wasn't sure it would work.

Originally I connected the IR receiver to the connecting block, attached the power supply then run a connecting cable terminated in 3.5mm stereo jacks (not supplied) from the connecting block into the DV27A Remote In. This worked fine. I then did some experimenting and then attached the IR receiver into the AV8 Remote In Local and connected the AV8 Remote Out to the DV27A Remote In. This also works and has the advantage of not requiring the separate power supply, AV8 Remote In Local has a 12v power supply on the 3.5mm jack which is compatible with the Xantech receiver.

None of this setup is clear from the Arcam manuals, prosumably the domain of custom installers etc. Anyway, it all works.

cheers, Andy

12. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy.

Thanks for the extra info on how you connected up the Xantech unit, very much appreciated. I have a question however, before I order the bits. From what you say, you are using your AV8 to power your your IR receiver and then daisy chaining to your FMJ27. This is great as it negates the need for a power supply you say. Having read your post again though, it tells me you can also do away with the connecting block (amplifier hub) and the minature repeater LEDS that you stick over the IR receivers on the units!! This of course would only allow you to run your Arcam gear I guess, or am I missing something here. :confused:

Did you order the whole kit from Martek, or only the IR receiver and PSU? If you orderd the complete Kit with repeater hub, how is that now receiving a signal with the receiver plugged into your AV8? I thought that for approx £89, you bought the whole Kit (IR receiver, Amplifier Hub, PSU and repeater IR emitters x 4). :confused:

If one does not need the Connecting block or IR emitters, this would cut the cost down significantly methinks!

Many thanks, Gerald :)

13. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gerald,

The Xantech kit comprises of an IR receiver (smallish black box) with cable terminated with a 3.5mm stereo jack and a connecting block (code CM12?). The connecting block has inputs for the IR receiver and the 12v power supply and outputs for the IR signal, again on a 3.5mm stereo jack. This output can either be connected to an IR emitter (not supplied) placed near the receiving equipments IR receiver or connected directly to the IR In port on the Arcam kit. This is how I originally set it all up and it worked fine.

I then changed the setup to eliminate the need for the connecting block and separate power supply as described before. This setup only allows control of the DV27A, but thats all I was interested in. All my other kit works without problem regardless where the remote is pointing!

The kit I bought was the 291-10 which comprises of the IR Reciever and the CM12? connecting block. The £88 cost also included the PSU. With hindsight I really didn't need the power supply or connecting block. I think the 291-10 alone was ~ £65. The IR Receiver alone was not an option.

cheers, Andy