AV9 12V trigger

phurst

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just upgraded from an AVR350 to an AV9 :D

With the AVR350, when I put it into standby my power amp also turned off.

Putting my AV9 into standby doesn't turn the power amp off. The power amp only turns off when I switch the off with the main power button on the front of the AV9.

Any suggestions as to how this can be resolved (assuming it can)?

Phil

I've just upgraded from an AVR350 to an AV9 :D

With the AVR350, when I put it into standby my power amp also turned off.

Putting my AV9 into standby doesn't turn the power amp off. The power amp only turns off when I switch the off with the main power button on the front of the AV9.

Any suggestions as to how this can be resolved (assuming it can)?
It works for me, so perhaps you have the wrong cabling? The AV9's trigger out is a STEREO 3.5mm jack for both zones, with the zone 1 being TIP and sleeve, and zone 2 being RING and sleeve. The amp end is typically a MONO jack, so you'll either need a splitter or a custom-made cable.

Assuming the cabling is a stereo - 2x mono splitter + mono leads (as is mine), note that the default setting for a remote off command received by the zone-specific remote in (front panel IR recevier is purely zone 1) is local only, so verify that your connection is for the tip, not ring.

Thanks, have got it sorted now.

In the zone 2 settings there is an option for 'zone 1 standby' which was set to 'local only'. I had to change this to 'All off' and it now works correctly :oops:

guess I must've set it the same on the AVR350 at some point but can't remember doing it.

Thanks, have got it sorted now.

In the zone 2 settings there is an option for 'zone 1 standby' which was set to 'local only'. I had to change this to 'All off' and it now works correctly :oops:
That would imply that you have connected the power amp to the Zone 2 trigger, since you got it to work by having zone 1 also switch off zone 2.

That would imply that you have connected the power amp to the Zone 2 trigger, since you got it to work by having zone 1 also switch off zone 2.

Just connected to the one labelled '12V trigger' connection on the AV9. Is this not the one I should be using?

Just connected to the one labelled '12V trigger' connection on the AV9. Is this not the one I should be using?
The connection is right, the jack / cable is not. Please reread post #2 for an explanation of the dual zone (stereo 3.5mm) connector and zone splitting.

I have a stereo to 2 mono splitter and then a mono lead going from one of the sockets on the splitter to the power amp. Could only get the power amp to turn off when put the AV9 into standby but it wouldn't come back on again when I switched the AV9 back on. Swapped the mono lead over to the other socket on the splitter and all works fine. Strange that it worked ok for years on my avr350 and I've only had problems after switching to the AV9.

I have been trying to work out how to remotely control the on/off of my P777 in the following manner...
When playing Sky normal TV output I feel it is not worth listening in 5.1 and prefer to listen in stereo only. In this mode I only need my Primare amps on and require the P777 to be OFF. When I want to listen to Sky films I can then just manually turn the P777 to ON to get 5.1.
The sound I require from my DVD and BRP is naturally full blown 5.1 requiring the P777 to be ON.
The Sky sound, I input through the "SAT" input on the AV9 and it is provided by the standard optical input.
The DVD sound is with the "DVD" input and is coaxial into the AV9
The BRP sound is with the "AV" input and is both coaxial and multi channel in on the AV9 (they are both linked to AV). The manual mentions that the scart/ screen control triggers are input dependant but I can't get them to differentiate between Sat and the other inputs ,they just remain on the "General" setting. :facepalm:
Thanks if you got this far, it is not easy to explain. Have I missed something? Any suggestions? :lease:

I have a stereo to 2 mono splitter and then a mono lead going from one of the sockets on the splitter to the power amp. Could only get the power amp to turn off when put the AV9 into standby but it wouldn't come back on again when I switched the AV9 back on. Swapped the mono lead over to the other socket on the splitter and all works fine. Strange that it worked ok for years on my avr350 and I've only had problems after switching to the AV9.
One of the mono leads is for zone 1, the other for zone 2. The default on the AV9 is for standby to affect only the zone tied to the remote control input. Hence if you use the zone 2 trigger, the zone 1 remote (the front panel IR receiver) will not turn off the amp. You change the default semantic in the advanced settings.

Provided you are not routing Sky video though the AV9, you may be able to solve the problem. If you are routing Sky video though the AV9, there is no solution, as the vide triggers are tied to the apparent presence of a video signal or the status of the AV9.

Screen mode is tied to zone mode, but not to video source selection (!?), so it won't help you.

Scart Mode on trigger 1: the Tip and Sleeve are always 0V. The ring controls aspect ratio, which you don't need.

Scart Mode on trigger 2: the Tip is at 12V and the Sleeve at 0V when a video source is selected. The ring controls aspect ratio, which you don't need.

So make up a cable linking a 3.5mm stereo jack: tip / sleeve (AV9 video trigger 1) to a 3.5mm mono jack: tip / sleeve (P777). The AV9 ring is therefore not connected to anything.

Confgure the video trigger 2 to Scart mode for the relevant surround inputs. For the SAT input (Sky), and any other input for which you don't want the P777, disable video in advanced menu 2 (set to None).

I have made the assumption that the Scart mode's presence signal is not dependent up the actual presence of a video signal, rather than just its configured feasibility - I have not tested this assumption.

Provided you are not routing Sky video though the AV9, you may be able to solve the problem. If you are routing Sky video though the AV9, there is no solution, as the vide triggers are tied to the apparent presence of a video signal or the status of the AV9.

Screen mode is tied to zone mode, but not to video source selection (!?), so it won't help you.

Scart Mode on trigger 1: the Tip and Sleeve are always 0V. The ring controls aspect ratio, which you don't need.

Scart Mode on trigger 2: the Tip is at 12V and the Sleeve at 0V when a video source is selected. The ring controls aspect ratio, which you don't need.

So make up a cable linking a 3.5mm stereo jack: tip / sleeve (AV9 video trigger 1) to a 3.5mm mono jack: tip / sleeve (P777). The AV9 ring is therefore not connected to anything.

Confgure the video trigger 2 to Scart mode for the relevant surround inputs. For the SAT input (Sky), and any other input for which you don't want the P777, disable video in advanced menu 2 (set to None).

I have made the assumption that the Scart mode's presence signal is not dependent up the actual presence of a video signal, rather than just its configured feasibility - I have not tested this assumption.

Managed to solve the problem, but not quite in the way Mark has suggested. Mark's post led me into thinking it through in a slightly different way to the way I had approached it before. The clue was in using advanced menu 2 but I could not disable the video input using the "Sat" input. This menu will only assign (or not) video to certain inputs which you wouldn't normally have any video attached eg. CD. So I reconnected the Sky box coax out to the Tuner digital input on the AV9 and in advance menu 2 set the tuner video input to"none". Then trigger 2 is connected to the P777 with a normal stereo 3.5mm lead and the trigger is set to "scart" which is default. Meanwhile the Sky box is also connected to the optical Sat input to give 5.1. Bingo the P777 now only fires up when when the Sat input is selected but not when the Tuner input is selected, The HDMI feed goes directly from Sky box to TV, as it did before.
I have just finished configuring my Harmony One to this new set up and am extremely chuffed. :clap::clap::clap:
Thanks Mark, your enthusiasm in trying to help us all with these complex machines is much appreciated :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would still recommend that you "make up a cable linking a 3.5mm stereo jack: tip / sleeve (AV9 video trigger 1) to a 3.5mm mono jack: tip / sleeve (P777). The AV9 ring is therefore not connected to anything." This is because you don't really want to risk damaging the AV9 by shorting the ring and sleeve when using a mono socket on the P777.

I would still recommend that you "make up a cable linking a 3.5mm stereo jack: tip / sleeve (AV9 video trigger 1) to a 3.5mm mono jack: tip / sleeve (P777). The AV9 ring is therefore not connected to anything." This is because you don't really want to risk damaging the AV9 by shorting the ring and sleeve when using a mono socket on the P777.

Hi Mark, I must admit to using the same stereo 3.5mm lead from the main trigger out on the AV9 to the P777 to power up the amp whenever the AV9 is switched on for some considerable time now, with no apparent problem. The only difference is that now it is only switching the amp on when I want 5.1 or 6.1 rather than all the time the AV9 is powered up. Having said that I do see your point please accept my thanks for responding with the warning. :smashin:
If I buy a stereo to mono adapter from say Maplins would that do the trick rather than make up the cable? Alternatively what about cutting the connection in the plug, at one end, to the ring? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

GD

I've done exactly that. Used a stereo to 2 x mono splitter then use a mono lead from one of the outputs to the power amp.

If I buy a stereo to mono adapter from say Maplins would that do the trick rather than make up the cable? Alternatively what about cutting the connection in the plug, at one end, to the ring?
Although some stereo to mono adapters don't connect the sleeve, others connect both the tip (L) and the ring (R) to the mono's tip, so you need to check the wiring of any adapter you intend to purchase (should be printed on the box). As an aternative, a stereo - 2x mono (L+R splitter) will work. I bought a stereo male - dual mono female and a single mono cable and left the unused female connector (zone 2) dangling.

Last edited:
Although some stereo to mono adapters don't connect the sleeve, others connect both the tip (L) and the ring (R) to the mono's tip, so you need to check the wiring of any adapter you intend to purchase (should be printed on the box). As an aternative, a stereo - 2x mono (L+R splitter) will work. I bought a stereo male - dual mono female and a single mono cable and left the unused female connector (zone 2) dangling.

Trip to Maplins today, I think I will go for your solution as it is belt and braces. Simples eh! :)

At the risk of being boring can I ask which mono female do you connect the male mono to, left channel(white) or right channel(red) or does it matter? :rolleyes:

PS I think I found the answer after a bit of surfing. It should be left (white) that energises the tip. Is that what you have done?

Last edited:
At the risk of being boring can I ask which mono female do you connect the male mono to, left channel(white) or right channel(red) or does it matter?

PS I think I found the answer after a bit of surfing. It should be left (white) that energises the tip. Is that what you have done?
As I said in post #2, Zone 1 is tip + sleeve, zone 2 is ring + sleeve.

For normal stereo usage, left is tip + sleeve, right is ring + sleeve.

For RCA connectors, the conventional colour allocation is red = right, white (or black) = left.

So Zone 1 = Tip = Left = White/Black. Zone 2 = Sleeve = Right = Red.

As I said in post #2, Zone 1 is tip + sleeve, zone 2 is ring + sleeve.

For normal stereo usage, left is tip + sleeve, right is ring + sleeve.

For RCA connectors, the conventional colour allocation is red = right, white (or black) = left.

So Zone 1 = Tip = Left = White/Black. Zone 2 = Sleeve = Right = Red.

Thanks, Mark and PHurst, for the correspondence, everything is now working as I want, using a stereo splitter and mono cable, as suggested. :clap::clap::clap:

all the best

GD

You're welcome. Glad it worked.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom