1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV8's aspect ratio 4:3/16:9 triggers

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by StooMonster, Sep 23, 2005.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    How do these work? The manual is as clear as mud.

Can the AV8 output a signal that I can use for 4:3/16:9 selection on a RGBS input?

If so, where does it get the aspect ratio information from to output either 12V or 6V signal?

If not and this is an input, what does it do with this input?

Please elaborate as much as possible.

StooMonster

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

To control the 16:9 switching you need to use the RGB trigger output. (See page 11 of the manual)

This is located between the S-Video monitor out and the lower set of component inputs/ouputs. The one labeled RGB/1 is the one you need for an RGBS system.

The full SCART lead wiring table for RGB is given on page p34 but to summarise the Wide Screen control Jack plug:

To wire up to the SCART controls you will need a stereo 3.5mm jack plug. It should be wired as follows.

Tip of jack plug is select RGB video and should be wired to pin 16 in the SCART connector

Ring of jack plug is SCART input select (sometimes called CVBS status) this should be wired to pin 8 on the scart connector.

Sleeve Ground is 0V and should be wired to pin 18 in the scart connector.

(QED and The cord company can make a cable that has the phono connectors for RGBS and a stereo jack plug for the triggers on one end and a SCART connection on the other end. I'd recomend getting one of these unless you are very good at soldering as wiring up SCART connectors is very difficult)

For this to work you will need the AV8 HQ Video in RGB mode and the video status set to SCART (Both in general settings)

The 16:9 control is then availabl in the Main menu screen. (That is the one that come up when you just press menu as opposed to the setup menu which you press and hold for.)

Regards,
    Andrew

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Andy, thanks for the answer but you'll have to bear with me as I haven't actually got my AV8 yet.

So, this is a manual trigger ... I select which aspect ratio I want through a menu screen?

I wondered if the AV8 could output automatic trigger on pin-8 + pin-16 scart based on the WSS on line 23 signal; or if there was "input" trigger that gets passed through from pin-8 from say Sky+.

You see what I would like to do is have trigger switching: if I am on DVD input the aspect ratio trigger is set by DVD, whereas if I am on Sky+ then that controls the aspect ratio trigger.

Note: I have a PARC209 Aspect Ratio switcher that I use to control my DVDO scaler, and it only has one pin-8 input.

StooMonster

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Only one of the pins does the aspect ratio selection. The other switches the TV to the RGB input otherwise it would display the composite signal from the sync signal.

The manual control in the AV8 in no way interferes with the line 22 automatic signaling and if your TV responds to this I woudl advise setting it up to use it. It is only there for display that cannot decode the line 22 information and in this situation it gives you a manual override. For automatic switching simply set the control on the AV8 to 4:3 and set your TV to automatic.

On some TVs you still need to conect the signal even if you are not using the 4:3 / 16:9 control as it tells your TV that there is a signal present on the SCART conector and makes it switch to the scart input.

Either way you will need the RGB control otherwise the display will just show the composite signal.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Andy, I don't think I am being clear enough.

I am not using aspect ratio selection with a scart television target display, I am using an external scaler on a plasma. The scaler has inputs for RGBS signals on RCAs, and aspect ratio is changed via RS232 and a PARC209 (converts scart pin-8 to ascii control text).

I was wondering if the AV8 can set triggers based on an input signal (from say Sky+ or DVD player's scart socket) or if it's purely an output signal.

Futhermore, if one can set it per video source (e.g. VCR = 4:3, DVD = 16:9) or if it's a global manual setting.

StooMonster