1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV8 Video Converting

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dealmaker, Nov 6, 2003.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gents

Will an AV8 convert an RGB video signal to Component???

Alternativley if I input an S-Video signal will it output Component to my PJ.

I want to connect my Freeview DigiBox to my projector via the AV8 - the freeview box can output either RGB or S-Video - if I connect this to the AV8 will the amp convert the signal and push it up the Component output to the PJ??

Many thanks

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

The AV8 has no video conversion internally, so if you want to convert the video format you will need an external converter to do it.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Andy,

Thanks for that.

So If I input an S-Video Signal from the Digibox into a relevant input on the AV8 - where will the signal be output? (Dont have my manual with me! sorry!) - I'd understood that the AMP would always try to output the highest quality signal i.e component ?

Thanks

4. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you put S-Video in then you'll get S-Video out.

The complication (and this may be what you're asking) is when you have multiple inputs.

So, if you put RGB, S-Video and Composite in then you'll only get RGB out (plus Composite on Zone 2). The S-Video and Composite outputs on Zone 1 will have nothing output through them.

If you are putting an RGB or component signal into the AV8 there is NO POINT putting the S-Video signal in as well, as it will always choose to send the RGB signal out (unless of course you can turn off RGB output on your source component, though I don't know why you'd want to do that).

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

The Pioneer and Sony Freeview boxes can output either RGB OR S-video signals - BUT only one or the other

The AV8 is currently getting a component signal from my DVD player and has Component AND S-video connections to my PJ.

I'm guessing that when I connect the S-video from the digibox to the AV8 that this signal will be passed thorugh the S-video output to the PJ irrespective of wether it's seeing a component signal from dvd player or not.

6. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes - all of the 'only outputs the best quality signal' applies only to the currently selected source. So if you select 'Digibox' then it will output the best available for that (S-Vid).

When you select 'DVD' it will output the best signal available for that (Component).

Oh, just to correct my 'no point' comment about S-Video connection along with composite - if you are using some sort of DVD/S-VHS recording device on the VCR loop, then it may be worthwhile as the VCR record loop of the AV8 doesn't have a Composite/RGB output option.

7. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kryten,

Thanks for that.

So my options are to either select S-video output on the digibox - connect to the AV8 and then selct my projectors s-video input as it will be getting an S-video signal from the AV8

OR

Select RGB output on the Digibox - route this signal through an in-line RGB to Component Convertor - then give the AV8 another component input (in addition to the DVD player) and it will output Component directly to the PJ?

In both instances audio will be via a Toslink digital optical cable.

Think the s-video route will be the simplest solution?

Thanks