1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV8 surround channels

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by sticker, Jan 13, 2004.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm wondering how fellow AV8 owners find the surround channels. I've noticed recently that the surround effects in DVD movies are seriously lacking. The sound level on the surrounds seem to be OK via Avia but during general useage its fairly poor.

It really came to a head when a friend who owns a Sony DAV800 mentioned that his Sony had a more spatial sound in a DVD we were watching (AOTC) :confused: :confused:

Any ideas?

Regards
    John:(

2. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What did you have before?

I find that the immersion into the sound field is stunning. To the extend that for the first few months, we had to keep pausing things (DVDs and BBC dramas) because my wife was certain that something was happening in the kitchen/office or even upstairs!!

Have you tried moving the rear speakers around?

If you find the levels too low, just tweak them up a bit. Your ears should tell you what's right, not a sound level meter!!

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny you should mention it because I was thinking the complete opposite! I used to wonder if anything was coming out of the surrounds at all when I had my AVR100 but since buying the AV8 I'm amazed at the sounds I can hear that I never did before. I do think it depends on where the surrounds are situated though, at the moment my rear speakers are either side of the sofa on stands at ear level, but when I get my new speakers they will be mounted quite high up on the wall behind me, so I really hope that's an improvement or I'll be extremely upset, I have nowhere else to put them in my new house.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    Think I'll re-run Avia, repostion my surrounds and calibrate the rears with my ears!

Cheers
    John

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    How did it go?

I ask as I'm 'always' looking at other kit to see if it'd be better.:D

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Think its a room accoustics thing, as when I'm sitting under one of the speakers I csan hear the surround very clearly, but when I sit between them the effects are minimal. Unfortunately I'm about to move house so can't really experiment at the mo.

Regards
    John

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry forgot to post the outcome of this. For some reason it appears to be a room accoustics thing. We recently replaced a Stretched Canvas print on one wall opposite one of my surrounds with a mirror. Taking the mirror down and replacing it with the original canvas brought the surrround sound back :). Why????

John