AV8 sub trim and sub level not the same

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mightyoakbob, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've been trying to adjust the level of a new subwoofer on my AV8. To do this I've been carefully using the subwoofer trim and found that -5.5dB was about right. Having decided that this was the correct value I transfered the -5.5dB to the speaker level adjustments and set the subwoofer to -5.5dB and set the sub trim back to zero.

To my shock the bass was well over the top way too much signal. I went back to trim -5.5dB and subwoofer level 0dB and all was fine again.

So why is sub trim and subwoofer level not the same thing when set to -5.5dB? Is there some sort of conversion factor?

Cheers,

Bob.

2. norks27

norks27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No idea - not sure what everyone else does but I just leave the sub output on the AV8 at 0 and then just adjust the output directly on the sub to try get the levels right.

I have a love hate relationship with Subs anyway as I believe they are notoriously difficult to calibrate. The setting on my Rel are more rudimentary anyway. It could also be that the tolerances regarding the accuracy of what is -5.5db on the Sub are not to the same standard as on the AV8, hence the difference.

Either way so long as you get the level right, either through the subs' setting or through the AV8 you'll be sorted I reckon.