1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV8 simultaneous component and Svideo question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by mightyoakbob, Sep 24, 2005.

1. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I use both a television and a projector to watch DVDs via my AV8 (software V4). The path from DVD via AV8 to television is S-Video. From DVD via AV8 to projector is interlaced component video.

When you assign one of the HQ video inputs to the DVD input so that the component feed to the PJ will work, the S-Video siganl goes off. To make this choice easier for other family members (though still beyond some) I created two presets one for PJ the other for TV.

Sometimes you can catch out the AV8. It can be powered up in PJ preset and surprisingly the S-Video feed is working including the AV8 graphic overlays. Switch on the PJ and that too is fully working, overlays and all. Change the preset and it reverts to normal, one or the other behaviour.

Clearly therefore the AV8 hardware can cope with both interlaced component and S-Video simultaneously, so why is this normally prevented?

Have I missed something? Can the AV8 be persuaded that it should do both normally?

TIA.

Bob.

2. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Is there any chance of a comment from someone at ARCAM on this one please?

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

First I have to say this is not an ARCAM supported forum we only look in when we have time. Our customer support department does not cover this forum at all, it is just some of the engineers that look if we have any spare time. If you have a problem with ARCAM equipment you need an answer for please contact customer support.

Having said that:

The reason is that you could potentially put two different sources on the different inputs or the Component and S-Video video may not be completely syncronised out of the source. If this happens the OSD would only be able to sync to the active source and you would get random white lines on the other input. Since this is likely to cause confusion we lock this functionality out.

Regards,
    Andrew

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I agree, this forum is for advice from other Arcam owners hence why it is named 'Arcam Owner's Forum'. It should not be relied upon for getting advice directly from Arcam themselves, that is why they have a dedicated customer support telephone number.

I am not having a go at anyone in particular but there does seem to be a bit of a presumption by some forum members on here that because Andy Dutton, Engineer and even John Dawson pop in here now and again they can treat this as a way or direct contact with Arcam support.

Most of all guys and gals, have fun with your kit, its what its there for.

5. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Firstly, steady on a bit guys. I only asked (politely) if there was any chance of someone at ARCAM commenting I did not "expect". When I first asked the question I was hoping that anyone would answer, maybe a dealer and tell me I had missed the obvious option X or whatever. I don't think I really deserve this public rebuke.

Secondly, thanks Andy for the information and your time.

Bob.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    It was not meant as a public rebuke, you just reminded me that this happens more and more on here and I just wanted to highlight the situation, it was not aimed directly at you. Sorry for any offence caused.