1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV8 OSD troubles

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by will1066, Dec 10, 2004.

1. will1066

will1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, U.S.-based newbie here.

I feel my AV8 may have a glitch with the OSD. When I power off by pushing out the front power button and later power on by pushing the button back in, the OSD will either display nonsense or not come on at all while the menu setup index shows up fine on the front panel display. My video connections are rudimentary: S-video from a Denon 2900 to the AV8, and another S-video from the AV8's monitor out to an old Sony tube TV. Most recently, I got it the OSD working again with a rapid power off and on. I pushed the power button out and back in quickly, and the AV8 initialised with the OSD on (as opposed to going back into Standby the other times I pushed the power button back in). Since it works fine now, I have not tried to duplicate that quick power off/on move for risk of it not working again. I emailed Tech Support (support@arcam.co.uk) a few days ago but received no reply, which admittedly has got me a bit down about their support. I came from a Rotel (if you look at my username), which always answered my emails in a timely fashion.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this AV8 issue or know about it second or third hand.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Other than that, glad to be aboard. I also own a CD23 and had a CD92 before that.

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Will,
    Welcome to the forum

I've never come acroos this behaviour in my AV8 and it doesn't sound good. Do you know what software version you are using? An update may be needed.

I've found that Arcam aren't very good at answering emails so I phone them, although from the US it won't be cheap. Have you tried your dealer?

One or two of the Arcam technical guys frequent this forum so hopefully they will put their penniesworth in.

HTH
    John

3. will1066

will1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply, sticker. I think I have the latest software but I will check. (What's the way to check it, again?) More peculiar, my AV8 was one of the recent stock the U.S. distributor had in possession. Anyway, I've not tried my dealer, but that is a thought. Hopefully, the technical guy you speak of will see this thread.

Question: With your AV8, if the mains are connected, and you power on with the front button, does it initialise automatically or do you have to power up from Standby using the remote?

4. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you power off in the standby mode - it repowers back up in the standby mode.

5. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Will, funny meeting you here in the UK instead of HTGuide. :clown: Actually, I come here often because so many people with Arcam gear post here, let alone Andy Dutton and John Dawson (President) of Arcam themselves.

My OSD is on a separate input for my plasma and when I switch to that input it simply says "no video signal" or some such until I hit menu on the AV8. The menus work fine from there. Am I missing something and there should be more displayed at all times?

When I turn on the AV8 by the button, it goes into standby with the orange light and then I have to turn it on with the remote. If there is a setting to control this, I don't know about it. I generally leave the physical on/off button in the on position and I turn it on and off with the remote.

I have another problem that I was about to post and also going to present to Arcam support. I won't complicate your thread, but check it out. I am perplexed. Good luck clearing up your issue.

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Will,
    To check the software version press CD, DVD, OK at the same time.

As Voltron says, Andy Dutton will hopefully answer your question, he is a top guy and really knows the AV8 inside out.

John

7. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Will 1066,

It looks like the OSD chip in your AV8 is not always initalising properly. I have seen this once before where sometimes it would come up with the wrong text size and sometimes not at all. Without seeing the unit I can't be sure though.

You should speak to your dealer and get them to confirm there is a problem. Or you could try ASL (Audiophile systems Limites) WWW.ASLGROUP.COM who are our US distributors. They are very helpfull.

Inreply to Voltron ; Your AV8 is working correctly , there is no display untill you press the menu button.

Regards,
    Andrew

8. will1066

will1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you, gazzerr, sticker, Voltron, and Andy. Voltron, Sithlord referred me here; small world. :) This forum has been a lot of help already, and I appreciate it. I always leave the AV8 in Standby. However, two occassions had come up where I had to fully power down, and both times, the OSD had trouble initialising.

Here's the exact info regarding software versions:

AV8 Version 3.0
    THX UL2: 13.0
    Dolby D: 16.0
    PLogic2: 4.0
    DTS -ES: 15.0
    DTSNeo6: 18.0
    Cos Eff: 15.0

Andy, because the OSD chip might not be initialising properly, was it pure luck that the OSD initialised properly again and that the rapid on/off procedure I performed had no real bearing? It would be good to know since I was contemplating replicating the situation. I won't try it if there's no relevance.

It's good to find an Arcam online community, as I love the products despite this issue. I've been very happy with the performance.

I will get in touch with my dealer. Thanks again, and I'll be here regularly for sure.

Andy, just want to let you know that you, as well as your peers from other mfgers who take the time to go online and help users out, are doing a wonderful service that's really appreciated.

Edit: Andy and others, I just thought about this and wonder if it helps: one of the occasions I referred to above was when I accidentally cut off the power to my Tripplite filter to which the AV8 is connected. Might the sudden power disruption to the AV8 have triggered a glitch in the OSD chip? Thanks.

Edit 2: Also, in the Save Options page, what is the difference between Yes and No for Src Specific Items? Thanks again.

9. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy. Nice to know. Will has some additional questions for you, but I wondered if you saw my thread on DV29 and Pioneer plasma compatibility issues. If you had any thoughts I would be interested to hear them.

Best,
    Voltron

10. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Andy,

If I'm not mistaken the AV8 uses the infamous STV5730 OSD chip. I've found that this chip can fail to init correctly if the rails haven't totally collapsed before reapplying power. Dirty hack is do the init sequence TWICE with about 100ms of delay between and then it seems to work lurvly. There is something stateful in the IC that gets stuffed as just delaying the first init doesn't do the trick.

Steve (ex TMA STV5730 OSD hack master!)

11. will1066

will1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Steve, your comment seems to back up what I might've stumbled across (init twice rapidly), but can you confirm? What is the exact hack? Do you init from Standby or from full power off?

12. will1066

will1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Andy,

I've emailed twice and left a voicemail at Audiophile Systems Limited, Arcam's U.S. distributor, about my AV8 problem over the past week and have received ZERO replies from Customer Support.

While the problem is not urgent, I feel at least a response from them is deserved.

:lease: :thumbsdow