1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV8 or AV9

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by StooMonster, Sep 15, 2005.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Was thinking about buying AV8 today, but then reading about "imminent" release of AV9 thinking this is bad idea ... even with possibility of upgrade, especially if it's one that involves new processors etc because it will be expensive.

What the best-guess timeframe for AV9?

StooMonster

2. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I would imagine that the AV9 will be available at the end of the year perhaps Jan 2006.

I have been digging around and initially it appears that the ONLY differences are the inclusion of HDMI (5 inputs 1 output) and the software to control it.

I have not heard anything to suggest that updated DSP's with support for further functionality is being included. The AV8 is still a great processor and holds its head up well against most of the other high end competitors. I was starting to get the upgrade itch but a swift scratch from my better half opened my eyes (and ears) to what a waste of money that would be ;)

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    From what I've heard there are other differences other than just HDMI switching.

4. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Such as?

Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

5. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Come on then man - don't keep secrets!!!

6. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Has to depend what deal you can get on an AV8 - you would expect a substantial discount to retail. The AV9 does not make the AV8 a bad processor.

7. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd support robf comment - AV8 still a gret piece of kit
    well look at it this way , you can probably pick up a AV8 2nd hand for 2K, add in the 500 for the upgrade for the hdmi and you're still quids in than buying a new AV9.

8. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume that more of the updates that we have seen the last few months will be added into the AV9, like the stealth damping, improvements that the C31 received etc etc

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Something along those lines. I am not in a position to divulge details but the differences in hardware alone will amount to more than HDMI switching.

10. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question is of course, will the full raft of 'improvements' be part of an AV8 upgrade to full AV9 spec? I certainly hope so!

11. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have been told that that is the case! Still want to know what the other improvements and upgrades are though.... Is it purely HDMI switching or will the AV8/9 be able to utilise the audio feeds?

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    No it does not, but I know I'll want an AV9 as I plan a display update next year.

I am asking questions here because TWICE before (admittedly in days before internet went mass-market) I have bought new Arcam systems only to see them superceeded a couple of months later. My update cycle seems to be tied into the end-of-life cycle of Arcam. :(

The DAVE in my A22/P25(3)/P35(2) setup has gone pete tong (again), so I plan to get it fixed and eBay either A22 or the whole kit-n-kaboodle; unless the cost of fixing DAVE is higher than I'll get for A22.

So I plan to buy AV9 to replace A22 and perhaps keeps the P25(3)/P35(2) to drive my speakers, but then I know when instore I'll probably be tempted to buy the P7 too and then I'll need to buy new racks because it won't fit in my Target stuff.

I spent a couple of hours on the net looking for second hand AV8 and couldn't find any for sale. Any leads?

£500? Is it really gonna cost £500 to upgrade mobos, panels, processors, etc.? This is the question that puts me off buying one today.

StooMonster

13. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Just ordered new AV8 from my local Arcam dealer. :devil:

Question is ... will I buy the P7 once I get there?

StooMonster

14. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The P7 is a very good and very powerful power amp. The measured output is 7 x 175W!
    It will drive the toughest speakers with ease.

StooMonster, you seem to like the Arcam amplification so get the best value for money Arcam power amp - the P7. To get better you would have to fork out a fortune for the Arcam monolocks - the P1s I think they are called. Need seven of these for 7.1 setup at cost of 1100 pounds each I think.

15. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I take it you got a good deal on a new one then? I personally think the upgrade money would be better spent on something like a Lumagen DVI which would also give you DVI switching, but that is probably just me....

Have to admit I was not particularly impressed with the P7 - it is alright but nothing special when it comes to music.

16. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ...and in the red corner!

I have to say I am really impressed by the P7. I upgraded from the Rotel 1075 and 1080 combination. The P7 has bags of power, more than enough for our room and the Kef speakers. It has plenty of detail resolution and I am especially impressed by it's modular design - separate rectification circuits on each module.

Ok, it may not have the outright authority as the big American muscle amps but it makes up in the delicacy with which it handles intricate musical pieces.

I had never really considered the Arcam combination, looking on and upwards to more expensive products but after extensive listening I am delighted to own the AV8 and P7 which offer as much as I could want..... ....for now!!!

Ultimately the single most important advice I advocate is trust your own ears - one man's meat and all that..

17. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello StooMonster
    I also have the Arcam A22Dave & P25(3) and have been considering an AV8- would be interested to hear your thoughts when you get yours.
    Cheerrs
    rkb

18. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The Arcam A22+Dave & P25(3) & P35(2) will soon be hitting eBay.

Could not resist the AV8 + P7, and thought why not renew my tired old speakers too.

So local dealer also had PMC OB1 x2, GB1 x2, CB6 x1, TLE1 x 1 speakers to add to my order; and an Optimum AV400 rack too.

My living room is 5m x 6m so I don't need to 7.1 and will go with 5.1 with bi-amped left and right OB1s. Although I may need a second P7 to drive the speakers to their full potential. :devil: (One day perhaps :rolleyes: )

Declined on new interconnects (Mark Grant will be getting an order instead), new plasma, new DVD (DV27+ still does fine, but is booked for a service), and ISF Calibration; although may consider the audio calibration done once kit arrives, which should be about three weeks.

So, I'll upgrade to AV9 (if I need to) rather than wait. ;)

StooMonster