Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

AV8 (firmware ver 4) vs AV9

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Greggles, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    So apart from the HDMI sockets, useful though they are, what is the difference between the AV8 and the AV9. The Arcam guys at the Hammersmith Sound & Vision Show yesterday were unable to give me any definative info on increased performance/ functionality. The still unconfirmed upgrade price of £600 does seem a lot of money to pay for a few extra sockets on the back panel, especially when you consider the recent (excellent) firmware upgrade was free?

2. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The last time I spoke to Arcam Customer Support they said performance wise the AV8 and AV9 are the same. A lot of people wanted HDMI switching so that is exactly what Arcam have designed. Also included is Prologic IIx ( which Version 4 provides ) and also some extra functions within the processor's menus.

A major hardware upgrade is needed for a big improvement in sound quality. The AV8 will still sound better than the Diva Processor - upgraded or not.

However, we will all have to wait and see what Arcam has planned for us ... as only the people at the very top of Arcam know for sure ( Arcam Customer support are not 100% sure).

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    It's not really that much money considering a pretty basic 4 way HDMI switching box from Maplin costs about £250. I'm sure that the HDMI switching components in the AV9 are all broadcast quality like the rest of the video switching in the AV8 which is inevitably going to cost more than bog standard stuff out of Maplins.

I am fairly certain that the only major hardware change in the AV9 upgrade is the HDMI switching. There will possibly be some sort of implementation of the 'stealth mat technology' first employed in the CD36. If you don't need HDMI switching then as long as you have the new version 4 of the firmware for the AV8 I would stick with that.

4. MrTubThumper

MrTubThumper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello all, from what I understand the AV9 is the same machine as the AV8 (Apart from the obvious HDMI upgrade) but with a few 'tweeks'. I was speaking to a guy on their technical team and he informed me that the AV9 is sonically better as a result of these 'tweeks'. So for your £600 ish you get HDMI and a slightly better sounding processor, and the V4 software upgrade if it has not been done before hand. Proof will be in the listening I guess!

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Can someone tell me how good the AV8/9 is as an analogue preamp? Is it similar to an A32, or closer to a C30?

6. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Arcam Customer Support told me that the AV8 is a better anlogue stereo preamp than the A32 and I believe it is as I used to own an Arcam FMJ A32. However, I have not compared them side by side and also I have no experience of the C30 preamp.

7. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Suprisingly it's excellent. Infact it's good enough to have allowed me to combine my music and movie system into one. Try it out with some good amps and you will hear how nice it is.

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Thanks. I've heard the AV8 on several occasions but not as a stereo preamp. The C30 I'm testing at the moment is quite impressive. I'll try to borrow an AV8 to compare.

9. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Make sure you use it in Stereo Direct mode as IMHO this makes a huge improvement for stereo CD listening (all digital procesing is shut down). Also, a rather nice touch is that the AV8 remembers your preferred settings so when you switch from DVD to CD it automatically goes into Direct mode (if that's where you last left it with CD) and vice versa.

Happy listening :smashin:

10. Fad-dad

Fad-dad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I'm new to AV and have got myself the wonderful AV8 & P7. I'm really happy with the set up and I'm now using it for music as well as AV (which is great because I can claw some money back on my hifi kit).

I've noticed a lot of talk about firmware upgrades. I know mine is an older version because I do not have PL11x. Could someone tell me where I can get the upgraded software from and how I install it?

Thanks.

Just spotted Crustyloafer's sticky. It'll be done thru a dealer then.