AV8 Firmware upgrade - Win Vista

norks27

Quick question.

Just wanted to bring my AV8 completely up to date, I've upgraded the firmware before but not with a Windows Vista computer. I'm running 5 something or other and wanted to load up 5.3.

I'm assuming there are no issues with the programming utility software running on Vista.

Can anyone confirm before I mess things up.

Thanks

Ohh I should add that I am using a proper null modem cable, and not one via USB

Last edited:

norks27

Strike that, my PC at home does not have a serial port.

I need to get a USB to Serial cable, however I'm reading conflicting reports on Vista compatibility with these cables.

If anyone has had success which cable did you use?

I've searched the forum to no avail, any suggestions?

norks27

Did a bit of googling as there appears to be some confusion regarding support in Vista for these USB null modem cables.

Looking through the various items available and the customer reviews I've settled on this one:

ABC Products® USB to 9 Pin DB9 Serial RS-232 converter convertor Adapter

Apparently it is Vista compatible, I had looked for the Belkin adaptor which I know others have used successfully with XP but according to some it refused to work with Vista, (even though Belkin claim that the XP driver works in Vista).

If anyone is interested I'll let you know if it works. I guess most people have up to date firmware anyway for there AVRs and AVPs.

Last edited:

norks27

Sorted and worked a treat :)

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
You seem to be talking to yourself on this thread, so I'd just like to say thanks for posting back how you resolved this incase anyone else searches for this issue. :smashin:

norks27

No probs :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom