1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV8 Firmware download location?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by jmfmacra, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jmfmacra

jmfmacra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, new to the forum although been lurking for a while. i've seen many references to firmware for various arcam products but never a location to download/get the actual updates. I registered my equipment (av8/p7/dvd27a) with Arcam and asked them for info on firmware - no reply.

does anyone know how or where to get the updates for my AV8 - I did ask my dealer and all they had is the ver 2.4 - i believe the current ver is 3.

BTW, I have already done my dvd27a so i am not scared to do the av8.

Thank you for a great forum! That new sticky post on firmware levels is great too.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Firmware access is for dealers only, like me. If you want to update your unit I would suggest you get your dealer to do it. I can arrange to e-mail you the relevant files but you do so entirely at your own risk.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Thanks for mentioning my firmware post. It's good to see people actually recognising what I've done. It took me a long time to compile and format all the information necessary for that thread and without much recognition to be honest.

4. jmfmacra

jmfmacra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you could email me the relevant files, that would most appreciated. I have asked my dealer about doing the upgrade and they sort of said they think they did one on an AV8 a while back. I wasn't too confident with their response. I am a software developer, so I am really not afraid to tackle the AV8. I did my DVD27A already and it was absolutely painless.

Would you be able to send me the 2.4 version as well as the 3.0 version? That way, if I don't like some aspect of the 3.0, I could revert. How big are the files? If necessary, I could provide an ftp location for you.

Regards,

jmfmacra

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    If you PM with your e-mail address I'll send them on to you. I only have version 3 of the firmware which is about 500k.

The files I send are for personal use only and are not to be posted on an FTP location for others to download. This is so that only the people that specifically request them from me and are aware of all the risks receive them.

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Its damn well appreciated Crusty!

I can imagine what work and nagging it must have taken to compile all the info, never mind format and enter it all :thumbsup:

7. jmfmacra

jmfmacra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just an update: I assembled a cable to do the programming to the AV8. I bought a Null Modem adapter, a Male DB9-to-Female DB9 RS232C cable, and a Female-to-Female gender adapter, all from Radio Shack. I hope I have the right parts. I'll let you know how it works as soon as I rip the AV8 out of my audio rack.

8. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Crustyloafer,

I don't think you're right on this one! I asked users not to post replys on that thread so that it stays objective in it's purpose (to inform).

But look at the number of views in the sticky, and here and there you can see that people refer to the sticky in many posts.

We all thank you (VERY VERY MUCH) for the time and effort you had to make it possible! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sorry for the OFFTOPIC (i'll inform the moderator :devil: ) but had to make this point!

9. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Crustyloafer

I would also like a copy of the latest AV8 firmware if possible.

Cheers
    Rob

10. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very helpful and much appreciated. Just tried to obey the Moderator's wishes in the first instance, but he opened the door here, so to speak. Thanks for the efforts and please keep up the good work! :clap:

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Thank you, all of you. :thumbsup:

I will try to keep up my current level of contribution, albeit inevitably interspersed with the odd bout of drunken retorts, followed by a quick rebuke the following morning after realising I've been a total ****, usually to a beginner to AV.

If there is any other particular information you would like sourced and/or added to the sticky then do let me know and I'll do my best.

12. jmfmacra

jmfmacra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All went well with the update to my AV8. This would not have been possible without the help of Crustyloafer. Thanks pal. If anyone wants to "Do-It-Yourself" regarding upgrading/updating your components, read all FAQs and Stickys in these forums first. Then, when you need help or have questions, you will know who to ask and you won't waste their time or your time.

BTW, for all those upgrading an AV8 from ver 2.4 to ver 3.0, be aware that the 12V amp triggers (Zone 1 and 2) will be reversed after the upgrade. If you are using a stereo to dual-mono adapter (Radio Shack #274-375) like I am, simply reverse the trigger cables at the adapter.