AV8 DVD-A Audio Problems

thatMikeguy

Novice Member
Today for the first time while I was listening to a CD on my DV29 and AV8 in DVD-A mode the music sounded quiet and I noticed that it was cutting in and out, or at least fading in and out. When I switched the input to DVD everything was working perfectly. I put in a DVD-Audio disk and the problem was the same, with DVD-A selected the sound would fade in and fade out. This is not the norm and just started tonight for the first time. Anybody have any idea what might have happened? Is this an easy fix or a take the AV8 to the dealer? Thanks sfor any help.
Cheers,
Mike

Sparky66

Novice Member
Mike,

I own a DV29 and I may be able to help you.
Because you state that DVDs' are fine but DVD-Audio plays up, this problem you are having seems to be related to a setting on your DVD player and not an issue with the AV8. Since you use the Multi-channel analogue outs on the back of the DVD player for decoding DVD-Audio and bypassing the AV8 Dacs, It's a good chance some settings on your DVD player may have been altered.
In your DVD players "Setup Menu" go to the "Audio" page (3/7), check to see if "Pro Logic II" is enabled to Music, Movie, Matrix or PL.
If it is, turn it Off.
Give it a go. It worked for me.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I experienced this exact situation once. It was with the very first DV79 that the Arcam rep brought up to us to evaluate juts before its launch. It was a preproduction model and think it turned out to be a fault with the DACs onboard the player. As Sparky66 has already said, it is the player or its settings which are most likely at fault.

thatMikeguy

Novice Member
Interesting. Thanks Sparky66 for your comments I will surely check this out upon getting home. I fear however that Crusty may be correct with the faulty DACs as I have not changed a setting on the DV29 since I originally set it up. Sigh... This sounds like no DVD player for a few weeks... Just to clarify something from the original post. When I am playing CDs in my DV29 with the DVD-A setting selected on my AV8 it is very quiet and fades in and out. When I am playing CDs in my DV29 with the DVD setting on my AV8 everything works fine. I think that you guys both understood this.. just re-reading the original post I was not clear.
Cheers,
Mike

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
thatMikeguy said:
When I am playing CDs in my DV29 with the DVD setting on my AV8 everything works fine.
That basically confirms that the fault lies with the player and not the processor. It is unfortunate that you do not reside in the UK as the turnaround time for FMJ products here is 1 week.

thatMikeguy

Novice Member
This is killing me... Here I sit at work thinking about what Crusty and Sparky66have told me. I know that the setting Sparky66 is talking about is set to Dolby PL which is wrong but I don't remember ever changing it. Please oh please let that be the solution. Thanks to both of you.
M.

thatMikeguy

Novice Member
YEAH!!! Sparky66 you were bang on. Somehow that setting got changed. I am back to blissfull listening to my DVD-Audio and my CD collection. What a relief. I can't imagine life without for a few weeks while repairs are being made. Thanks again to both you and Crustyloafer for the insight.
Cheers,
Mike

Sparky66

Novice Member
I get the shakes if I miss one day, away from my HiFi gear.
You have gotta love the power of forums to resolve any issues.It's always the first port of call for me. Best of Luck. :thumbsup: :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom