AV8/AV9 User preset: Description

michels

Standard Member
Hi there!
I finally found an AV9, Demo, for a reasonable price (reasonable means appropriate to my budget!!!).
In my previous AVR300, it was impossible to store different preset user. Now I see that in the AV9, I have the possibility to store 5 presets user.
I am curious about what other owners of AV8 or AV9 have done with these preset. How have you organized these presets? One for the DVD, an other for the Satellite, an other for the CD?
All description will be welcome!
THanks in advance!

gbaby

Hi there!
I finally found an AV9, Demo, for a reasonable price (reasonable means appropriate to my budget!!!).
In my previous AVR300, it was impossible to store different preset user. Now I see that in the AV9, I have the possibility to store 5 presets user.
I am curious about what other owners of AV8 or AV9 have done with these preset. How have you organized these presets? One for the DVD, an other for the Satellite, an other for the CD?
THanks in advance!
I've never used my pre-sets. I found that once you set the crossover frequency, calibrate the speaker levels and distance, it suffices for both music and movies. However, your setup may be different.

Last edited:

Druboo

Novice Member
As above

The only thing I have changed is naming the inputs to what they have connected. :cool:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Ditto. I see little point in having different presets. The main "variables" are anyway remembered on a per source basis.

ReTrO

We use the different presets at work for differing speakers systems. So far example we have the main one for the installed Genelec active system, another for a floorstanding PMC system and one for Audiovector stand mounts. Not much use except in a demo room from my experience.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Hi there!
THanks in advance!
How much for, if you don't mind me asking :cool:

cjohnson6

Novice Member
When I got my AV8 it had different configurations saved for different speaker systems. It was obviously a demo machine and was only ever configured for 2 channels. The software was like version -1.0.. can't remember exactly what it was.. but the 12V trigger output was programmed incorrectly ( I guess it was a prototype sent the US ).. anyhow, a software update has bought it back to the 21st century..

Back to your original question about saving configs.. If you only have one set of speakers then you only need to save one set of parameters... but that's been said before int his post.

Humm... I haven't yet figured out how to save to startup volume... it used to be -35db ( THX ) now it's -55db (THX ) ...very annoying.. I want to set it at
-20db...

michels

Standard Member

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
EUR6000 seems a little over the top. Over here it's CHF7800, which comes to just over EUR5000. agm digital distribution (Germany) wants EUR4875 and there's not much discounting on Arcam equipment.

michels

Standard Member
EUR6000 seems a little over the top. Over here it's CHF7800, which comes to just over EUR5000. agm digital distribution (Germany) wants EUR4875 and there's not much discounting on Arcam equipment.
The one I got is a one year demo but came with the full 5 years warranty. And compared to the AVR300, I can now say that it is really an other world. As I wrote to Markusp recently, I am not very good at describing the performance differences between the AVR 300 (the one I had before the av9) and the AV9. But I can say that everything is so much better with the AV9. Soundstage, nuances, little details here and there, bass, treeble, For now (maybe I will be able to say more later), I would say: it is like driving a BMW while you are used to drive a VW. In both cases, you go where you want to go, but in the first case (BMW, alias av9), you have so much fun to be in the car, with the road, because you feel so much more the road itself, the feelings you have when you are in your seat. One more thing: an AVR 300 has 7 amplifiers, 1 tuner and the processors and cost 3000$ (at the begining). The AV9 has just the processors and cost 7000$ (at the begining). And Arcam was right in the difference of price!

Now I have to find an other dvd player. I think I could have much better sound than what I have with my actual player (Rotel 1040). Concerning the video, no problem because my HD Scan DVDO does a real good job. It is really about the sound. I imagine that an Arcam dv29 or dv139 (second hand or demo at half the price if not more) would do a great job of supporting the av9 in the line of the sound. THat's why I was thinking of buying one of them. The thing is, with the new bluray, I am not sure that with my bunch of DVD, they will be top of the line in terms of sound, (openness, clarity, transparence...name it) that I can get with the AV9. The chain can not be better than it's week part (my Rotel 1040 or a not so good bluray player).
Do you think that the new Bluray payer (Denon, Marantz, Panasonic... those with the 7.1 analog output that you can find on this site: Master List Of Blu-ray Players Thanks Mark for the link) will do a real good job for DVD sound, that is being able to be as good as the AV9 can be (imagine that the AV9 is a REAL great experience of driving)?
All the best!

p.s. I still wonder about the preset user. I think we can do much more than what is described in this thread. I will let you know as soon as I will have done my tests...

Last edited:

cjohnson6

Novice Member
I don't think you did wrong with the price. If YOU like it then it's more than worth the money. As for a DVD player... I've recently been playing around with both my DV139 and Denon 3910. I've never liked the DV139 for CD playback and absolutely will not play CDs on it ( CD36 is much better. EMC1-up is infinitely better ). I'm now starting to think that the 139 really doesn't does too good on the digital output when playing back DD 5.1... Shock, horror.. There is no doubt that the picture is first class.. but for cinema sound, there's something missing..even my boss thinks so... The Denon 3910 can't touch the 139 for picture quality but the sound ( digital using the same cable ) is more dynamic. No way do they sound the same through the digital connection.

I've got a Sony BD-S550 on order and will run it as a 7.1 analogue setup straight into my AV8.. This will make use of the Sony's internal HD sound decoders. It will be really intersting to see how it looks and sounds. Hope to see the Sony next week. :) fingers crossed !

michels

Standard Member
I've got a Sony BD-S550 on order and will run it as a 7.1 analogue setup straight into my AV8.. This will make use of the Sony's internal HD sound decoders. It will be really intersting to see how it looks and sounds. Hope to see the Sony next week. :) fingers crossed !
Hi!
I am looking forward to read your appreciation of the Sony BD-S550 and the comparaison (in terms of quality of the sound) with the dv139... I also cross my fingers!!! :)
One of the member here, Markups, told me that the Denon DVD3800BD would do a great job. But, I think the price of the two units are very different (Denon: around 2000$; Sony: around 700$ CDN). I am really looking forward to read your comments!

adprom

Novice Member
Humm... I haven't yet figured out how to save to startup volume... it used to be -35db ( THX ) now it's -55db (THX ) ...very annoying.. I want to set it at
-20db...
I am pretty sure that if you set the av9 to a volume, mute it and then put it into standby while muted, it will save that volume and it will power up at that volume until you next turn it off while in mute.

This seems to be a big in the AV8/9 that is still persistent, even in the 5.3 firmware.

Technically the AV8/9 is suppose to turn on at the last volume you had it, with exception to when it was set louder than the max on volume setting, which is where it will turn on at the max on volume.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Hi!
2800$ CND
Great price. HOw do you rate the combination with the Rotel 1095 ?

This is exactly the sort of setup I am looking for !

michels

Standard Member
Great price. HOw do you rate the combination with the Rotel 1095 ?

This is exactly the sort of setup I am looking for !
It is hard to say exactly because I havn't had the chance to compare it on a A/B base. But, compared to the amp in my previous AVR300, Gee, it is so much better... Everything is so more there! Especially the bass... But, I thing here it is a question of personal taste. I tried the P7 and didn't like it. Too flat I would say! With the Rotel (don't forget you need space... and it can become really hot if you push it...) I am more and more in this wonderful situation of suspended disbelief. And it is cheaper than most of the power amp 5 channels out there. With what I have saved, I can now look for a good dvd player!
All the best!

Druboo

Novice Member
Originally Posted by cjohnson6 View Post
-20db...
I am pretty sure that if you set the av9 to a volume, mute it and then put it into standby while muted, it will save that volume and it will power up at that volume until you next turn it off while in mute.

This seems to be a big in the AV8/9 that is still persistent, even in the 5.3 firmware.

Technically the AV8/9 is suppose to turn on at the last volume you had it, with exception to when it was set louder than the max on volume setting, which is where it will turn on at the max on volume.
Tried the mute method (Max on volume set @ -35dB) Muted from -25dB and put into stby. Switched back on -35dB :thumbsdow

Changed max on value to -25dB switched off with volume at said level. Switched back on -25dB :thumbsup:

gbaby

It is hard to say exactly because I havn't had the chance to compare it on a A/B base. But, compared to the amp in my previous AVR300, Gee, it is so much better... Everything is so more there! Especially the bass... But, I thing here it is a question of personal taste. I tried the P7 and didn't like it. Too flat I would say! With the Rotel (don't forget you need space... and it can become really hot if you push it...) I am more and more in this wonderful situation of suspended disbelief. And it is cheaper than most of the power amp 5 channels out there. With what I have saved, I can now look for a good dvd player!
All the best!
The reason you experience such sonic nirvana is that the AV9 is getting out of the way allowing you to hear inner details in the recording that your speakers are capable of reproducing. As a further recommendation, always turn off the light on the AV9 and your source component, if you can. This will reveal even greater detail.:lesson:

michels

Standard Member
As a further recommendation, always turn off the light on the AV9 and your source component, if you can. This will reveal even greater detail.:lesson:
Thanks gbaby... I will try.
What i understand now in the wonrdeful world of Audio is that the more your machine is narcissist, the less it will be good! It's looks like in the real life! :)

michels

Standard Member
Going back to the original topic of the thread: AV8/AV9 User preset: Description
I think that depending were you are in your room, having the possiblity through one touch to change the Delay and Levels of your speakers is wonderful! My chairs in my cinema room are configured like a L. So at one point, if I want to put more emphasis on this or that position in this L, a change in the preset (by one touch) will be helpfull!
I will try some other things and come back to share with you...
All the best.

will1066

Novice Member
Tried the mute method (Max on volume set @ -35dB) Muted from -25dB and put into stby. Switched back on -35dB :thumbsdow

Changed max on value to -25dB switched off with volume at said level. Switched back on -25dB :thumbsup:

On the AV8, set the volume to -20 and then hit the power button on the front panel. Wait at least 10 seconds and hit the button again to turn the unit back on. It'll start up at -20 even from standby power.

Druboo

Novice Member
Hi will1066

Doesn't work on my AV9 :confused: But as previously stated, can set the max on value as high as I like, so not a problem for me.

ATB

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett